1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Autonomous cars without backup drivers could come to California roads before June

Discussion in 'Autonomous' started by tomatopaste, Oct 11, 2017.

1. tomatopaste

tomatopaste Well-Known Member

2. tomatopaste

Grahamcracker likes this.
  3. airportsedan

airportsedan Member

So congratulations to all UBERX drivers for paving the way....soon UBER will not need you anymore....

4. tomatopaste

You can't blame Uber for SDC's. It was going to happen eventually, Google just moved the time line up by five years.

5. airportsedan

airportsedan Member

So UBERX drivers making $1/mile will soon be replaced?

6. tomatopaste

Yuppers

7. Sueuber

Sueuber Member

Hooray!!!!!

8. iheartuber

iheartuber Well-Known Member

1. Bring it
    2. I miss Monica
    3. Regardless of the SDC debate, Tomato is just a tool

roadman likes this.
  9. roadman

roadman Well-Known Member

who is going to change the flat tires?

Uberyouber likes this.
  10. tomatopaste

Tomato is a national treasure

AAA. Google sends a new car for the pax and AAA for the car. Next question.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  11. iheartuber

The lovely and smart (or at least smarter than Tomato) Monica once wrote:

"Clients ask us how they can convince people [who sincerely believe that self driving cars will never happen] , and we've started telling them, you can't. It's something people will have to watch unfold."

So... I say this to you Monica and Tomato:

How can we, professional workers in the transportation business, convince you that the numbers you are throwing around are not nearly enough to cover all the costs you will incur to run a transportation business?

Well.. we can't. It's something you will have to watch unfold.

12. tomatopaste

Gonna be fun, ain't it?

13. iheartuber

You missed your calling Tomato

You should have been a hype man for hip hop artists

Ubering in Stereo likes this.
  14. tomatopaste

Opportunity costs are too great.

15. Gung-Ho

Gung-Ho Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Just curios Tomato.

What is your stake in this sdc game? How do you benefit?

For informational purposes and perspective.

I am not a ride share driver these things pose no threat to me and my business.

Linux Geek likes this.
  16. iheartuber

Tomato will not reply because I think for legal reasons he's only contracted to give smart alec posts.

But, here's the deal. Google and GM will roll out SDC rideshare "very" soon. (Think of it like two companies out there like Uber and Lyft). How soon? "As early as June 2018."

So, who is Tomato? Well, he works for a company that is supposed to measure people's reaction to SDCs and the effects they will have on the existing economy. Apparently, the reason why his posts are very abrasive and arrogant and smart alec-y is because when he first started, they got like NO replies at all because people were so disbelieving that SDCs were really going to happen that no one cared. So then Tomato started being a jerk and all of a sudden the replies flowed like a river.

There's also this girl who goes by the name of "Monica" who at first claimed she was Tomato's intern but really she talks much more intelligently than he does. She is clearly the boss.

She laid out exactly what they do and why. I'll attach screenshots of her words below.

The general consensus among Uber drivers is that there will be a ton of reasons why it will be later rather than sooner that SDCs can successfully roll out as a rideshare company.

In a nutshell, the professional drivers have laid out a ton of logistical complications that Tomato and Monica have poo-poo'd.

In the end, it boiled down to Tomato saying "look, we know what we're doing and it's just going to work, ok?" At that point the uber drivers just sort of shrugged and walked away one by one.

I think what's happening here is both Google and GM have hired Tomato/Monica's company and they want to hear only affirmations that they can roll out SDCs very very soon and it will be a big hit.

In other words, Tomato literally HAS to put on the face that SDCs will be here and they will be successful because his bosses and clients are making him. Hey maybe at this point he even believes it himself.

Everyone else, every sane person, knows that if the SDC rideshare plan rolls out as quickly as they say and with little regard to all of the logistical concerns it will be a complete failure. Of course to hear Tomato put it, they all "thought of everything that could possibly be thought of," even though none of them has any practical business experience.

So, at this point we just wait and see.

It was a war of words/ideas for a hot minute back there, but ultimately now we just have to let things play out.

And that's who Tomato is. Or... maybe he's just some nut in his mom's basement? Anything is possible.

IMG_9947.PNG IMG_9949.PNG IMG_9950.PNG

17. Gung-Ho

Gung-Ho Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Well thats a good explanation of Tomato.

I disagree with Monica when she says drivers NEVER think sdc's will come. But as always the timetable for the roll out is ridiculously over optimistic.

Then it comes down to definition of what constitutes sdc's "arrival". Having one operate in a controlled area under ideal conditions even comercially in my mind does not mean they are here.

This technology isn't going from 0 to 100 in one second. when there are 1 million of them on the roads( still a small fraction of total vehicles) in all places under all conditions would be my definition of "arrived" and thats not happening for at least 10 years.

18. iheartuber

Couple things:

1. I think "Monica" was talking more about society in general accepting SDCs not just uber drivers. I'm sure this is not the only social media board they are posting on.

2. It really doesn't matter about "reality" and being "overly optimistic", because no matter what, people like Tomato and Monica have to say that and pretend to believe it to be true. (Or hey maybe they believe it anyway).

19. tomatopaste

What is your stake in this sdc game? How do you benefit?
    I don't benefit directly, other than some small insider trading. That was a joke. THAT WAS A JOKE!, SEC.
    Tomato will not reply because I think for legal reasons he's only contracted to give smart alec posts.
    You don't know what Tomato will do, he's very unpredictable.
    As early as June 2018.
    Google will launch as early as this month, October.
    ...but really she talks much more intelligently than he does...
    Bull****!
    The general consensus among Uber drivers is that there will be a ton of reasons why it will be later rather than sooner that SDCs can successfully roll out as a rideshare company.
    The general consensus among 'Uber People drivers' who can't be bothered to do any actual research but rather spend all day giving each other reach-arounds, is it's a long way off. “Do you have any facts to back up that claim?” “No, we voted on it after careful consideration of everyone's feelings.”
    In a nutshell, the professional drivers have laid out a ton of logistical complications that Tomato and Monica have poo-poo'd.
    “In a nutshell we made up a bunch of crap when we were unable to refute Tomato and Monica's numbers.”
    In the end, it boiled down to Tomato saying "look, we know what we're doing and it's just going to work, ok?" At that point the uber drivers just sort of shrugged and walked away one by one.
    In the end Tomato and Monica refused to buy their bs. This is not new, in fact Tomato and Monica even coined a term called 'The Lord of The Flies' effect.

Where the loudest Cliff Clavins in any particular group start throwing around 'F' bombs and calling anyone that fails to accept the agreed upon norm, idiots and clowns, and demand they be shunned from the group. This tends to drown out most dissenting voices and gives a false picture of unanimity.
    I think what's happening here is both Google and GM have hired Tomato/Monica's company and they want to hear only affirmations that they can roll out SDCs very very soon and it will be a big hit.
    “I really have no idea what's going on and have too much time on my hands so I make up false personas about people I know almost nothing about it order to denigrate them. People like Tomato that slap me around in public.”

20. iheartuber

1. You really need to treat Monica with more respect. Are you another Harvey Weinstein?
    2. We the drivers are not making up BS, we are talking about the REAL costs that we experience everyday. We are not sitting around an office "dreaming up" what expenses we may encounter.
    3. I wouldn't say I "have no idea" I like to say I'm making educated guesses on just about everything I've said here.
    4. Re: tomato "slapping me around in public" I have to wonder what reason you have for "slapping" anyone around? That's not professional in the least. You want to debate ideas, fine. But there should be no "slapping around". That's... weird.
    5. Your arrogance is especially... strange. Perhaps you need therapy?

Again, I'll repeat myself since you tend to forget things: if you wish to debate ideas with me that's fine. But when you get personal, and immature about it, and especially when you try to be cute or funny, there's just no reason for any of that.

Finally, I just want to say: I think maybe it's best if Monica takes over the Tomato account. I think she's a far better professional representation of your firm than the Tomato is.