• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Auto-Insurance shopping...any recommendations?

ChicagoPartTimer

Six months back I switched to Allstate because Geico wouldn't cover me and it cost pennies to add a rideshare option to my normal coverage SUV that I Uber with 8-10 hours a week (the option just covers those in between times where you are logged in but not en route or with passenger). The policy renewal just came in and they want to hike my premiums by 12%, so it's time to shop around. What is everyone else using?

Watup

Your rates depends on your credit score, so i could b paying $50 for that same company and other guy $150. And no one is gonna be cheaper then Geico , at least a dependable one. I am using state farm just cuz i been with them for 18 yrs.

LoveTheBlues

Talk to Indesure in Glenn Ellyn ask for Brian and tell him I sent you. He knows rideshare real well and works with Travelers, Erie and others that provide rideshare coverage. Mine was less than my Allstate with no rider.

outlier

i thought that i didn't need a soecial insurance for rideshare because uber will cover during the trip with pax, and our normal insurance while online without pax. could anyone of you help explain how the insurance work? thank you.

LoveTheBlues

i thought that i didn't need a soecial insurance for rideshare because uber will cover during the trip with pax, and our normal insurance while online without pax. could anyone of you help explain how the insurance work? thank you.
There are a lot of discussion threads out there. The bottom line is that is another smoke and mirrors issue uber avoids discussing.

There are three stages on Uber's coverage. 1. Off app - no coverage 2. On app - no passenger - partail coverage & 3. Passenger in car - full coverage. The theory is your personal insurance is supposed to cover the gaps uber doesnt. But it doesnt really fall out that way.

most personal insurance will not cover drive for hire period and many will cancel you if they learn you are driving for uber / lyft. So if you have an accident with no passenger in car you have to remove all trade dress so it doesnt show up in police report giving your insurance cause to deny and cancel. Some companies offer riders for that gap so you are covered and dont need to worry about that. Brian can walk you through the rideshare insurance landmines.

The rules here are evolving but i dont want to chance being denied coverage if i have a claim.

LoveTheBlues

There are a lot of discussion threads out there. The bottom line is that is another smoke and mirrors issue uber avoids discussing.

There are three stages on Uber's coverage. 1. Off app - no coverage 2. On app - no passenger - partail coverage & 3. Passenger in car - full coverage. The theory is your personal insurance is supposed to cover the gaps uber doesnt. But it doesnt really fall out that way.

most personal insurance will not cover drive for hire period and many will cancel you if they learn you are driving for uber / lyft. So if you have an accident with no passenger in car you have to remove all trade dress so it doesnt show up in police report giving your insurance cause to deny and cancel. Some companies offer riders for that gap so you are covered and dont need to worry about that. Brian can walk you through the rideshare insurance landmines.

The rules here are evolving but i dont want to chance being denied coverage if i have a claim.
Sorry; Memory lapse; it's Chris (not Brian) at Indesure that is the rideshare insurance guru.

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

I have GEICO. I can tell you with 100% certainty that their family/personal auto policy carries a "RIDESHARE/COMMERCIAL USE EXCLUSION".

In short, they will try to deny any claim if they know you were using the vehicle for TNC or delivery (which includes flowers, pizza, Amazon Flex etc). If you earn money using your personal car for any type of commercial work, DO NOT use GEICO.

mikes424

I have GEICO. I can tell you with 100% certainty that their family/personal auto policy carries a "RIDESHARE/COMMERCIAL USE EXCLUSION".

In short, they will try to deny any claim if they know you were using the vehicle for TNC or delivery (which includes flowers, pizza, Amazon Flex etc). If you earn money using your personal car for any type of commercial work, DO NOT use GEICO.
That goes for most insurance comanies, not just Geico. Geico DOES offer a commercial policy for ride share. I know because I am insured with Geico with thst type of policy.

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

That goes for most insurance comanies, not just Geico. Geico DOES offer a commercial policy for ride share. I know because I am insured with Geico with thst type of policy.
I know. But I couldn't get a firm qoute out of them. Idk what the problem was, just got a bunch of non speak and no #s. Mind sharing some deets about vehicle/premium costs vs. the standard auto?

WestBurbsMac

Get proper insurance! Erie has specific coverage for rideshare, and they offer big discounts for multiple lines. I gave them 2 cars and my renter's insurance and saved money.

I have no interest in "gap" insurance with multiple companies. It's a clusterf*ck waiting to happen.

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

OK, so everyone that has a TNC/RIDESHARE endorsement chime in here. Help the peeps out. In % terms, how much over standard coverage premiums are you paying? Is it 10% more, 50% more?

Also, one of the concerns is if you self identify as a rideshare driver, will you always carry this higher risk rating? Sort of like being a smoker, once you tell them/test positive you smoked it's always on the record.

mikes424

I know. But I couldn't get a firm qoute out of them. Idk what the problem was, just got a bunch of non speak and no #s. Mind sharing some deets about vehicle/premium costs vs. the standard auto?
I can't speak for anyone else. I took my car off my personal policy, leaving my wifes car on it. Lost the multiple car discount. On my ride share policy, it is per year, not 6 months. For some reason it runs me $50 a year LESS and includes road service which I didn't have before.
All I can suggest is to try again and you would probably get s different person. Be sure to call their commercial division. And call a few other companies for comparison.

pizza guy

If you don't have proper insurance quit driving NOW!
The risk of being dropped is very real and no matter how careful you are all it takes is some idiot to rear end you and you get dropped.
In the past there were only 2 or 3 choices for proper coverage and it could get expensive. Now most companies, but not all, companies offer the insurance we need and a competitive market has evolved. Rates are very competitive and usually add less than $10 month. If you have not received an insurance quote recently a simple insurance inquiry on your credit report may lead to proper coverage being less than what you pay.

Wil_Iam_Fuber'd

I went to get a quote from Geico to add rideshare and it came out double.
Yes, this was what I got. I qouted from SF because GEICO wouldn't offer, but the SF qoute was like 2.25x my existing GEICO standard family w/o a commercial/ridershare endorsement.

LoveTheBlues

Yes, this was what I got. I qouted from SF because GEICO wouldn't offer, but the SF qoute was like 2.25x my existing GEICO standard family w/o a commercial/ridershare endorsement.
This is where an Independent agent comes in strong. Everybody's circumstances are different. While we all share the desire for rideshare coverage, we all have different credit scores, different driving histories, different vehicles, live in different places. When Chris set me up 9 months ago, he was putting a lot of his rideshare people through Erie (and still is) but I came out much better through Travelers that had just entered the rideshare market. My annual premiums are lower than they had been with Allstate and the rideshare add-on is only $80 for the full year. But Chris told me that it all depends on your particular circumstances which is why he feeds a quote through 4 or 5 companies. BUT WHAT WE ALL SHARE HERE IS THAT IF YOU ARE DRIVING FOR UBER/LYFT AND DON'T WANT TO FIND OUT THE COVERAGE YOU PAY FOR ISN'T VALID, YOU NEED A POLICY THAT ALLOWS IT.