• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Austin #SlowDown (Feb 13 & Feb 14)

ma2tx

Seen red on the map almost all day. Hopefully something happens and we longer get treated like crap

Mafer4eva

This weekend I cashed in a different way.. Selling in the flea market made 3X more than working UberX Friday and Saturday 9pm till 3AM.. Didn't miss loosing my sleep either Viva the Slowdown!!!

Cookieman

This weekend I cashed in a different way.. Selling in the flea market made 3X more than working UberX Friday and Saturday 9pm till 3AM.. Didn't miss loosing my sleep either Viva the Slowdown!!!
6:00 this morning was an Uber crater..... marathon was starting, and there were no drivers...... Round Rock surged past 2.2 and downtown was a 6+...... what a joke..... wonder how many customers Uber lost this morning....... I can imagine a LOT of people deleted their Uber apps this morning......

MTS

I say next "slowdown" we all log on from our homes. Wait for a ping, accept, then wait 5 minutes and cancel if the requestor hasn't already by that time. Then watch to see if we can affect the surge. 50 or so drivers canceling a couple of times might send a signal to Uber as well as what we did this past weekend.
Uber asks why, we tell them their app crashed... LoL

driver_dude

MTS said:

"I say next "slowdown" we all log on from our homes. Wait for a ping, accept, then wait 5 minutes and cancel..."

That's one way to game the system - join in a driver "slowdown" and stay home, call for rides and then cancel. Another way to game the system would be to read this forum to get strategy tips, then drive as much as you can during the slowdown and make some money while the other drivers played their games at home.

That's what happens when you live in a Potemkin village like Austin. Go figure.

Nate R

Not sure if it was due to the slowdown or not, but I saw screenshots of all of Austin surging over 2x with the highest at 5.6x this weekend.

MTS

MTS said:

"I say next "slowdown" we all log on from our homes. Wait for a ping, accept, then wait 5 minutes and cancel..."

That's one way to game the system - join in a driver "slowdown" and stay home, call for rides and then cancel. Another way to game the system would be to read this forum to get strategy tips, then drive as much as you can during the slowdown and make some money while the other drivers played their games at home.

That's what happens when you live in a Potemkin village like Austin. Go figure.
Nice one Driver _Dud.
Spoken like a true professional TRAVIS.
Stop thinking about the surge and the opportunity to take advantage for your own gain. The point is to get rates back to where they should be so all can profit in a win-win environment. Ever heard of "for the good of all".
Look at the bigger picture, there are a lot of folks out there that do this full time and can no longer sustain.
I think we all knew you'd be out there to collect. Some of us were hoping you just faded away and took your exploits with you.

Ziggy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am not driving today or tomorrow. I hope none of you are either. Maps look good and red, as they should be. Needs to be red in ALL areas
since so many cars were parked ... discovered some new surge zones that I didn't even know existed

Lnsky

I drive Subday morning from 6:40 to noon for Lyft. I will say both Lyft and Uber riders noticed the slowdown and almost all mentioned it to me that it was taking 15 minutes to get a ride before they finally got me and the cars were coming from far away. Like 4th street rider getting a driver north of 51st.

I told them a lot of drivers were boycotting that weekend to which many responded oh you mean riders? And I told them no drivers. They didn't ask any further.

As per the new usual since X was surging at 4X riders on Uber either used Lyft or ordered Select which wasn't always at surge so either cheaper or about the same as X. I accepted then cancelled every Select ride. Some stupid fools were still trying to order pool.

I slow cancelled every Uber ride except one but it was obvious these people were bleeding over into Lyft.

I picked up some idiot trash couple who had a wet dog in tow and proceeded to let it climb all over my car into the front seats when they got in. I had to tell them the dog has to remain in their lap and they didn't like it. I told them my own dog doesn't even ride in my car And rolled down the windows.

Some college kids waved a random person into the car from around the corner at the last minute at 10am off Lavaca and said sorry we have an extra person. I said that's fine find another ride and turned off my car. They were all well just take some of us to which I responded no tjAts not the policy which you have now broken get out. The men slammed my car doors. Still don't know how to report them on Lyft or if Lyft cares. I got dinged for canceling the trip.

I'm not here so much to complain as to put myself of unknowingly being a scab. I thought the marathon was Saturday and turned my app on while heading to the gym Sunday. The pax not involved with the marathon were mostly pissed off when I had to tell them if they wanted to get west of Congress we had to go down to Ben White. I knew my star rating would suffer and it did even though I briefed them as soon as they got in and before I drove anywhere.

Luckily I know the city really well and Lyft gives you the address before they even get in so I could strategize.

I was happy the pax noticed the slow down but they really could have cared less. They are willing to wait for cheap. That's why I declined a lot of Select rides. There were several drivers closer to them on X but X was more expensive so they were happy to make me drive 15 minutes and ride in a nicer car.

I decided on during Sunday morning craziness that if the riders gardenia to have a future at all (at least before they are driverless) both parties getting screwed by Fuber need to understand this is a mutually beneficial arrangement. Especially at the current pricing.

They game the surge system, every driver has their price point were it is no long viable to operate therefore they are going to have to come to terms with the fact that if they are determined to race to the bottom they are going to have to expect some contingencies such as cancellations, non-English speaking drivers, or no nonsense attitudes.

Basically it sounds like side car which I wish we had here because that is what it is shaping out to be. Uber just threatens and punishes drivers to try and make them step in line. Lyft tries to motivate drivers with incentives which is much more productive but can still leave drivers slightly boxed in with accepting rides.

Passengers think we are cabs and while I understand this misconception they only use it when it benefits them. They wouldn't shove five people into a cab because cabs won't take it. But yet I had a passenger tell me it was illegal for me to cancel a trip that was a pick up from a strip club. I told him no it's a ride share not a cab and as a skinny large chested woman it isn't a good scenario for me to which he finally agreed but then said I shouldn't be driving at all.

I had a really chill Uber employee in my car a month ago who I had met before and he asked me what was my worst ride. I told him college kids and this five seater thing then told him how I handle it and he was shocked but pleased and said most drivers just go with it but it is strictly against Uber policy.

I know this but the riders don't know this. It is partly because new drivers just go with it but Uber could do more to support and inform the public that this is a no go. With Lyft I couldn't even report them for it which was discouraging.

Nate R

You have to call the critical response line to report that shit. Glad to hear pax noticed a problem, now if only we could continue this for a few weeks straight. Be even better if we could pull it off during SXSW, but there will most likely be a ton of drivers in from out of town.

Lnsky

You have to call the critical response line to report that shit. Glad to hear pax noticed a problem, now if only we could continue this for a few weeks straight. Be even better if we could pull it off during SXSW, but there will most likely be a ton of drivers in from out of town.
Yeah I'm personally going to Costa Rica for SXSW. I just can't handled those @@@@@@@ people in our city in general anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love telling out of towers about our city and where to go during ACL or whenever. I've only been driving for Uber for almost three months now but I pick up tourists and I really like them. Even when a person knew to town asked me to drive her and her Dad who was visiting around to some local spots and tell them what I knew. They tipped me okay and only took about 30 minutes and I had fun.

But after 10 plus years of living through SXSW it has gone from a thing that brings the best unsigned musicians from around the world to a turd fest of hanger on-ers pretending to be David Geffen or whoever else is a legend in their own mind. I've met David Geffen and I didn't even like that behavior from him but tolerated it because Thurston Moore was standing next to him and talking to me.

*Sigh* South by doesn't bring raw world artists anymore so other than a few of the day parties there is nothing in it for me.

But as far as Uber goes SXSW is an anomaly. There really isn't any way for a slow down to be noticed IMO because this is only the second year Uber has been in town so in terms of data they don't have previous years to draw from and as far as big data there simply isn't any other beast in this country like SXSW to run an indication on.

They will bring in other drivers and those drivers along with everyone else will get screwed because Uber lies to passengers. I doubt here will be strong surges during the day just like there weren't with ACL.

Mean while your passenger who just spent $2,500 or more already on the weekend and is ready to take a very large hit on the ride you are providing thinks you are banking and doesn't tip you because Uber says no-no.

Honestly at least 50% of passengers who either saw the meter as they were sitting or knew the fee rate to sit in that traffic would choose to tip you well or get out 3 blocks sooner so you aren't stuck in that hell for 60 minutes.

During ACL I had no idea how little my drivers were getting paid. It taking her 20 minutes to drive a mile to get us then another 20 to drop us off for $8 before Uber fee and gas... So like $5.

The best way I can think to protest is by just not taking no surge ride in those conditions. When a cluster f&ck like ACL, Trail of Light or SXSW comes through Uber needs to raise the per minute cost within certain regions and has the ability to do so. It shouldn't be continent on surge because surge isn't designed for this kind of situation where every car in line sitting for an hour is a ride share this no surge. 40 cents a minute seems fair and will prevent the lower bottom dwellers from demanding front door service.

Last edited:

Ziggy

I told him college kids and this five seater thing then told him how I handle it and he was shocked but pleased and said most drivers just go with it but it is strictly against Uber policy.
It's not only against Uber policy .. but it is against Texas & Federal law ... which both state, there must be a working seat belt for all passengers; or a child seat/booster for Texas children 7 or younger.

Ziggy

We are planning on running this weekly until SXSW ... however, it's discouraging to the drivers who stayed offline for the "greater good" and then other drivers went out to milk the surge. Bear in mind, rate cuts did not affect Lux drivers ... yet 50+ lux drivers opted to support the folks that did suffer from rate cuts.

The SlowDown only works if all (or most) drivers stay offline ... during SlowDown periods.

Ziggy

Sorry guys I needed some extra money. I drove 3 hrs on Saturday.
Understood ... 3 hours on Saturday was not going to kill the effort; at least you stayed offline the rest of the weekend :wink:

Ziggy

Not sure if it was due to the slowdown or not, but I saw screenshots of all of Austin surging over 2x with the highest at 5.6x this weekend.
It was the SlowDown ... there was only Lux car that I know of on the road for a couple of hours on Saturday and since the 50+ Lux that stopped driving were also Select and some XL ... that added to the surge. In fact, there were so few cars on the road that I saw many new zones that I didn't know existed ... and all over the map I kept seeing "No XL Available"; "No Lux Available" .... nice for a change

Ziggy

Seen red on the map almost all day. Hopefully something happens and we longer get treated like crap
Hopefully, you took the weekend off ... and someday soon Uber will increase the fares back to a living wage

KalianATX

We are planning on running this weekly until SXSW ... however, it's discouraging to the drivers who stayed offline for the "greater good" and then other drivers went out to milk the surge. Bear in mind, rate cuts did not affect Lux drivers ... yet 50+ lux drivers opted to support the folks that did suffer from rate cuts.

The SlowDown only works if all (or most) drivers stay offline ... during SlowDown periods.
Appreciate the effort you are putting into this.

I think one of the best ways to stomp out Ubers effort would be to do what we can to get the fingerprint bill passed. That would slow the influx of newbies who drive and quit so full timers aren't treated like they're disposable.

Was this crap going on at 2am on Friday night/Saturday morning? I have never had trouble finding a ride home, but it took forever and I did something I've never done before -- I put in dual rides on both Lyft and Uber. Even with both requests in, it took me 30 mins to get a ride.