• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Austin #SlowDown (Feb 13 & Feb 14)

Ziggy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Considering all the time I spent with the reporter ... it's a less than optimal article from a driver's perspective.

Most notably, he failed to mention the following highlights:
  1. Uber has decreased driver pay 5 times in the past 12 months
  2. Despite the fact that Uber tells the media that Fare Cuts are temporary; in the past 12 months, Uber has only decreased fares & driver pay, it has never been increased.
  3. There are too many drivers in Austin
  4. Most drivers, specifically full time drivers are in favor of mandatory fingerprints
  5. Uber has unfairly given $2,000/weekend guarantees to non-Austin drivers during ACL to encourage out-of-town drivers to drive in Austin; whereas Austin drivers were not given the $2,000/weekend guarantee
  6. Drivers who used to get 10+ trips per day (8 months ago) are lucky to get 2-4 trips a day now
  7. SRF was increased on the pax while driver pay was lowered ... Drivers do not get any portion of the SRF
  8. UberX drivers have an unfair competitive advantage over taxis; because taxis cannot change their fares as they are mandated by City Ordinance ... whereas, much to the disappointment of Uber drivers, Uber can lower the fares whenever Uber wants to lower the fares. Fundamentally, drivers want the UberX fares raised to the same rate as Taxis; so X & Taxis can compete on a level playing field
  9. Fare rates are before expenses (gas, maintenance, car lease, etc)
  10. Some drivers have quit Uber due to recent pay cuts.
  11. Most drivers are unable to make a living wage driving Uber. One of the most egregious exploitation of drivers is in Detroit where drivers are paid 30¢/mile.
Considering that this was an online article, it's not like they were going to run out of room.

Last edited:

Tx rides

Considering all the time I spent with the reporter ... it's a less than optimal article from a driver's perspective.

Most notably, he failed to mention the following highlights:
  1. Uber has decreased driver pay 5 times in the past 12 months
  2. Despite the fact that Uber tells the media that Fare Cuts are temporary; in the past 12 months, Uber has only decreased fares & driver pay, it has never been increased.
  3. There are too many drivers in Austin
  4. Most drivers, specifically full time drivers are in favor of mandatory fingerprints
  5. Uber has unfairly given $2,000/weekend guarantees to non-Austin drivers during ACL to encourage out-of-town drivers to drive in Austin; whereas Austin drivers were not given the $2,000/weekend guarantee
  6. Drivers who used to get 10+ trips per day (8 months ago) are lucky to get 2-4 trips a day now
  7. SRF was increased on the pax while driver pay was lowered ... Drivers do not get any portion of the SRF
  8. UberX drivers have an unfair competitive advantage over taxis; because taxis cannot change their fares as they are mandated by City Ordinance ... whereas, much to the disappointment of Uber drivers, Uber can lower the fares whenever Uber wants to lower the fares. Fundamentally, drivers want the UberX fares raised to the same rate as Taxis; so X & Taxis can compete on a level playing field
  9. Fare rates are before expenses (gas, maintenance, car lease, etc)
  10. Some drivers have quit Uber due to recent pay cuts.
  11. Most drivers are unable to make a living wage driving Uber. One of the most egregious exploitation of drivers is in Detroit where drivers are paid 30¢/mile.
Considering that this was an online article, it's not like they were going to run out of room.
Nothing new in this rather bland column, except for the intent to do the work slowdown. That's the way it goes around here. You will notice the same treatment from the city Council. Ann Kitchen reached out to our organization , this week (or, should I say her office finally made time to meet with our president ) and acted as if the concerns he expressed were new to her, even though they have been emailed to her regularly, and presented to her at previous meetings. What a phony. Bumper sticker leaders, getting their information from bumper sticker media.... Same old crap. :-(

Ryan1983

I really hate to scab on you guys but I am moving to PA Wednesday. They are going to reimburse me in "6-8" weeks. So I really need to generate some revenue for that last paycheck.

Sadly I think you'll find there are plenty of people in shitty situations that will make your protest meaningless.

Ziggy

I really hate to scab on you guys but I am moving to PA Wednesday. They are going to reimburse me in "6-8" weeks. So I really need to generate some revenue for that last paycheck.

Sadly I think you'll find there are plenty of people in shitty situations that will make your protest meaningless.
Well, at least take Sunday off. Many of the 250+ drivers participating in the #SlowDown aren't directly affected by the recent Uber cuts because they only drive Select & Lux; but they are still helping the cause for the greater good, because they know that unchecked Uber will drop fares on Select & Lux soon. So while I understand your need to make money; as we are all driving to make a living, please refrain from driving on Sunday. http://bitly.com/atxslow

Ziggy

Today (Saturday, Feb 13) & tomorrow (Sunday, Feb 14) are the days to Uber Off & Lyft Off and spend time with family and friends. You deserve a break ... you've been working your a$$ off to drive and make a living ... but Uber has taken the pie and left you with the crumbs.

Many of the drivers who have already turned off their apps for the #SlowDown are not directly affected by the recent Uber fare cuts, because they drive only drive Select or Select/Lux ... be we all know from past experience, that shortly after Uber lowers X, they will lower Select and probably Lux.
Please pass this poster (http://qpn.me/u/poster) to other drivers that might not be part of the UP forum. The more drivers that we keep offline the stronger our voice becomes ... NYC was able to get over 1,000 drivers offline 2 weeks ago ... so help us help you.

Uber has already been found guilty of defrauding riders (http://goo.gl/kdL5jU) ... hopefully the nationwide Slow Down efforts will force Uber to increase our pay rather than only lowering it. Uber keeps telling the media that fare cuts are just temporary; however, in the past 12 months fares in Austin have only decreased and never have been increased ... the only thing that has increased is Uber's greed.

So, let's band together and Uber Off & Lyft Off until Monday, Feb 15th. Like the 3 Musketeers ... "All for one and one for all"

Have a great Off weekend with your family & friends.

MTS

5 texts from Uber so far today and still counting. Seeing some rather odd surges on the map. Lots of cars still out tonight. That or Uber forgot to turn off their ghost cars.

Anonü

image.png

That makes me happy. I've been looking since 6 and it has been about the same. Burn uber. Just like you burned my driving income.

Ziggy

Seeing what appears to be a lot of random surges all day today. Hope this is in part to the slowdown.
Drove by the airport 4 hours ago on my way to Houston and there were no cars at the Shell Station or on Cardinal Loop ... looked like a ghost town.

Ziggy

View attachment 27738
That makes me happy. I've been looking since 6 and it has been about the same. Burn uber. Just like you burned my driving income.
Should be real interesting tomorrow ... don't know of any spouse or partner who's gonna let their significant other work on Valentine's Day.

No LUX at ABIA today (see map) *not sure why X drivers were still working, considering LUX drivers were supporting X drivers ... and LUX wasn't even affected but the latest fare cuts.

KalianATX

Sorry guys. I missed this yesterday. Ill stay off today join you today though.

Also i recently joined lyft and noticed that the tips are usually enough to cover their fees. And they also give you a chance to earn the fees back. Ive been telling all my uber riders that ask about my lyft sticker and glow stache why i dont put an uber decal on my car and theyve been extremely receptive.

I also want to thank all you other guys that drive for both and share that message. It seems many lyft riders are informed of how uber treats its drivers. Lyft rates may suck too but in my eyes they are way better.

Anonü

Should be real interesting tomorrow ... don't know of any spouse or partner who's gonna let their significant other work on Valentine's Day.

No LUX at ABIA today (see map) *not sure why X drivers were still working, considering LUX drivers were supporting X drivers ... and LUX wasn't even affected but the latest fare cuts.
They probably need the money and think we'll hey no one will be on the road. The sad thing is they when they have to get new tires or replace a ball joint they will be hurting. Maybe then they will realize they have been paying uber to let people ride in their car.