Austin City Limits

LosYanquis

Hey all wanted to get your views on driving for Austin City Limits upcoming in October, did anyone drive last year? Would appreciate any insight

krytenTX

If it's anything like SXSW, then I'll pass. Too damn many pedestrians who don't obey the crosswalk signs, and WAY too many Pedicabs blocking traffic/running lights/wrong way, etc.

BobbyATX

i worked last year and it was a nightmare. one ride every 90 minutes if i was lucky. just a regular friday night.

BramasoleATX

ACL is in one location with very limited access so it becomes a pedestrian nightmare and traffic crawls. It will be difficult to get to your passengers, and you will sit in horrific traffic earning $0.18/minute for one trip per hour if you are lucky, traveling a total of 2-3 miles from ACL to downtown hotels for $7.00.

krytenTX

It will be like SXSW. Tons of pedestrians blocking the road, lots of extra pedicabs, and all of them failing to follow rules of the road, traffic beyond compare, etc. I quit driving during SXSW because it was not worth it. I won't be driving during ACL either.

LosYanquis

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I came into Austin from Houston this year for SXSW and killed it, over 3.5K, i see what your doing here trying to keep the event to yourself very sneaky, of course I post pics to back up my claim

Attachments

krytenTX

I came into Austin from Houston this year for SXSW and killed it, over 3.5K, i see what your doing here trying to keep the event to yourself very sneaky, of course I post pics to back up my claim
I only stated facts. If you made a killing, great! But don't assume, at least from my post, that I'm chasing away potential ACL drivers. That's just making an ass of yourself.

Last edited:

Tx rides

Why wouldn't they discourage this? They live here, pay taxes here, work here.

Stratos

There is something like 5x as many drivers as there was last year for SXSW. So if you are basing your potential income off of what you made for SXSW divide it by 5 then count in all other factors. The number of people for ACL is smaller then SXSW. Do what you want but it looks like the days of 2-3k for events are long over.

Native Austinite

The thing I cant take is the smell of the people coming out of the festival. I got my car all smelly good and then one after another the sticky hippy syndrome begins to hit. Bring towels for them? Gross no thanks.

I'm aware the above may sound a little winy but I prefer the business class, and I know where to find them. Not at ACL or SX lol

Yankee

There is something like 5x as many drivers as there was last year for SXSW. So if you are basing your potential income off of what you made for SXSW divide it by 5 then count in all other factors. The number of people for ACL is smaller then SXSW. Do what you want but it looks like the days of 2-3k for events are long over.
EXACTLY! Pay attention to this, LosYanquis. Things are a lot different this year. I did so-so during SXSW, but after that I made zilch. I got totally shut out during UT Graduation and every other festival after that. My business died right after SXSW. Also, what TxRides said: we live here, pay taxes here, and make our living here. There is a glut/over-saturation of drivers here that have forced me and a good many of us off the roads this year. I have not been out driving in about a month because of it. Its Uber's fault for on boarding so many drivers to compete with, but really y'all from other cities ought to stay in your own city. Its not right. Houston is big enough, and its not fair of you to trek 3 hours across the state to come here and make it harder for the rest of us that are already scrambling. You're making money here and putting nothing back into our economy. You're only helping Uber play their game that makes this a shit deal for all of us. Make a living where you live or move to where you want to work.

LaustinAustin

LosYanquis, are you still with LYFT? I heard they pulled out of Houston. I also think if you drive for UBER (which you probably do), you are doing well enough in Houston. Your fares and activity in Houston seem to be better than ours here in Austin. Our special events are a scant opportunity for Austin drivers to recoup some of their losses throughout the year. We are struggling enough with the San Antonio drivers coming here (which I do not blame them, but Houston drivers are different). JM2CW

Old Rocker

EXACTLY! Pay attention to this, LosYanquis. Things are a lot different this year. I did so-so during SXSW, but after that I made zilch. I got totally shut out during UT Graduation and every other festival after that. My business died right after SXSW. Also, what TxRides said: we live here, pay taxes here, and make our living here. There is a glut/over-saturation of drivers here that have forced me and a good many of us off the roads this year. I have not been out driving in about a month because of it. Its Uber's fault for on boarding so many drivers to compete with, but really y'all from other cities ought to stay in your own city. Its not right. Houston is big enough, and its not fair of you to trek 3 hours across the state to come here and make it harder for the rest of us that are already scrambling. You're making money here and putting nothing back into our economy. You're only helping Uber play their game that makes this a shit deal for all of us. Make a living where you live or move to where you want to work.
I can be in Austin in an hour and forty minutes. I lived there for years and have relatives there. I go to SXSW anyway for my 'other job.' Might as well make some cash when not attending an event. Plus, I know several dozen 'working girls' who will need rides.

Old Rocker

LosYanquis, are you still with LYFT? I heard they pulled out of Houston. I also think if you drive for UBER (which you probably do), you are doing well enough in Houston. Your fares and activity in Houston seem to be better than ours here in Austin. Our special events are a scant opportunity for Austin drivers to recoup some of their losses throughout the year. We are struggling enough with the San Antonio drivers coming here (which I do not blame them, but Houston drivers are different). JM2CW
Lyft pulled out and a frustrated Houston refused to comment.

LosYanquis

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The screen capture was from SXSW 2015

First off, Uber geo-locks you, I am unlocked on Lyft for all of Texas after Lyft fled the Austin market. 2nd I am putting money back into the Austin economy, i am staying in an Airbnb, will be buying gas and my meals from my favorite spot in austin by the torcy taco food truck.

Actually the rate for Lyft in Austin is $1.30 a mile vs $1.10 a mile for Uber in Houston so mile for mile I will be making more!

I am coming for you Austin!!!

Tx rides

Well, Uber drivers: some of us told anyone who would listen that refusal to permit would result in droves of out of towners. Many of your driver peers fought any form of registration, as did the corporation. What used to be a big incentive to stay in the game year 'round is dwindling with each event. :-(