• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

ATX Driver Chat (September 2019)

DriverRI

I just started to get some consecutive trips promotions back since summer started.

How about you guys?

Bigsk8r

Nope. Wont happen. Whenever a game ends you need to be "south of 6th" because the most money that can be made is to never pick up from the stadium, or COTA for that matter. Same goes for ACL, NEVER pick up from zilker. Hasnt been worth it since the old surge. Be far away and use destination mode to find rides that keep you away.
If you're gonna take one of these rides just ask yourself, "is this ride worth a whole hour?"
I will add to this...

I had some RA pax that wanted to use Direct Connect after the game. I told them it would be busy and to text me once they cleared the stadium and head to Lot 40. If I didn't reply to text by the time they got to 40, to take next available.

Missed one on a different Lux run downtown. Got the other at 3x on RA to Round Rock from the stadium. $72 after tip and I had asked them to walk up Red River past the light so that I could make a U-turn and get out of Dodge fast. They did, we got it all done in under 45 min.

Moral of the story... if you are going near that area after a game... Have. A. Plan!

Shinino

3 more home games left -- not sure if they'll be as big as LSU (doubt they will). Figure going out a few hours earlier (maybe 7 PM) might be solid though -- depends on when the games are though, I guess. I think UT being in Houston hurt though, as a lot of people went down there instead of staying in Austin. Friday felt very dead. Saturday was solid though -- hit $250 in 10 hours.

Noonespecial

ACL in 2 weeks. Lots of airport rides in the days leading up. Lots of easy daytime dropoffs scattered throughout.....just dont do any nighttime pickups when everyone leaves at once. In case you didnt know, its usually easy to drop off at the bridge by the kayak park off cesar chavez. Never mess with the lamar/barton springs area.

AustinAD99

So here come the high gas prices.
Filled up at my favorite cheapest place - shell at south 1st and Slaughter -
Try to top off every time I'm near.
Yesterday it was 2.31(midgrade with -.07 discount) and today it was 2.54 with -.07
Couple days before I filled it up for 2.23

But I'm sure U/L will raise our rates to accommodate...

AustinAggie

When gas was $3 a couple years ago they cut rates.
I was lucky when we ran out of gas in 2017 and surge offset the huge gas price spike.
That was probably my best night of driving ever.

AustinAD99

More likely they’ll raise fares on pax as “fuel offset ” and then brag to shareholders that they are increasing their EPS in creative ways
Yeah,
Like the old 'ride safety fee' that was just pure profit.
Now they've added 911 button because they were found out.

BTW
Anyone read that email on trip safe via Lyft?
New feature will automatically track trips?
Building more safety into the app
By the end of the year, we'll be rolling out smart trip check-in, a new service that can detect if a ride looks to have unexplained delays. You'll hear from us asking if you need support from our team — and if necessary, request emergency assistance.​
And mandatory safety training for drivers...
Enhanced driver education
Starting this October, all drivers will be required to complete a Community Safety Education course. Once you complete the course and a streak of 5-star rides, you'll earn a bonus.
Must not abuse this new power the drives are getting.
Enhanced rider accountability
If a rider is flagged for violating the Community Guidelines, they will be required to complete a Community Safety Education course and will not be able to request another ride until doing so.
Just think of the fun you can have flagging a pax, knowing they'll just say FU to Lyft and go Uber if they have to take a "Safety course" before they can get their next ride.

Two birds...

Last edited:

Ziggy

It would be interesting to see 101-105 lux queue meanwhile 11-15 x
NOT.
Unless pax actually starting requesting Lux because there weren't enough X in the queue. Yesterday there were 14 Lyft Black XL in the airport queue, that's quite a lot because a few months ago the most you'd normally see was 3 or 4 ... most I've ever seen in Austin was 18 Black XL - but that was during PGA Match Play *when Tiger was playing.

Austin is almost guaranteed to be a Sh*tshow in October with ACL & F1 ... more clueless ants than you can shake a stick at.

Bigsk8r

NOT.
Unless pax actually starting requesting Lux because there weren't enough X in the queue. Yesterday there were 14 Lyft Black XL in the airport queue, that's quite a lot because a few months ago the most you'd normally see was 3 or 4 ... most I've ever seen in Austin was 18 Black XL - but that was during PGA Match Play *when Tiger was playing.

Austin is almost guaranteed to be a Sh*tshow in October with ACL & F1 ... more clueless ants than you can shake a stick at.
Yes. Thank you Texas State Legislature for creating a statewide, de facto set of rules so that Austin couldn't actually require people who live reasonably near here to have permits and drive here without a flood of idiots from out of town.

There is not an eyeroll emoji big enough for that...

Ziggy

Yes. Thank you Texas State Legislature for creating a statewide, de facto set of rules so that Austin couldn't actually require people who live reasonably near here to have permits and drive here without a flood of idiots from out of town.
Before we only had to worry about how many temporary on-boarding accounts UL could activate before ACL/F1 ... now it's a Free-for-all ... come one, come all ... everyone gets a ride or two.

Terri Lee

.... idiots from out of town.

There is not an eyeroll emoji big enough for that...
Once every week or two someone from my "area" wants to go to ABIA.

After I drop them off, I don't wait at the airport; because I think it's stupid.

May head into town, or I may hit 130 and get the heck out, particularly if the afternoon (even worse) traffic mess is aproaching.

Whatever I do, how you feel about it doesn't concern me a bit.

Noonespecial

I live halfway between SA and Austin and have to drive to austin for work anyways. Im gonna put on destination mode and take whatever both directions and im gonna work austin during UT home games and SA during final four and when the spurs are in the playoffs because its easy money.
Funny thing is, Lyft now pays better in san antonio than austin but Uber lets me use my 10 year old car on Select so uber is still my winner in SA. I just cant figure out why in the hell someone would drive here 3 hours from houston or dallas just to sit in the airport queue. What is going on inside their heads??

Ziggy

I just cant figure out why in the hell someone would drive here 3 hours from houston or dallas just to sit in the airport queue. What is going on inside their heads??
Neither DFW or HOU have Lux; the highest they have is Select, unless the drivers qualify and get approved for Black and they pay the $500/month commercial insurance fee. You’ll notice that most of the cars driving to AUS from HOU or DFW are Select/Lux. And frankly Lux pays better in Austin than Black in either city