1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

ATX driver chat (Sept 2018)

Discussion in 'Austin' started by Ziggy, Aug 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ziggy

Ziggy

*August was such a craptastic month, that I'm starting September early.

Well, the UT students are back ... but instead of fewer drivers, last night there were 109+ drivers in the airport queue - craptastic!

Conventions:
    • 9-10 > Fair Hair Show (12k)
    • 12-13 > American Bar Asso. (2k)
    • 15-16 > Minefaire (10k)
    • 21-23 > Wizard World (10k)
    • 28-30 > TASA/TASB (8k)
    Notable Events:
    • 7-9 > Waterloo Music Fest (7k)
    • 28-29 > PBR 25 (10k)
    • 29 > Texas Beer Crafters Festival (20k)
    • 29-30 > World Rallycross w/Ludacris (200k)
    *estimated attendance is shown in (parenthesis)

Too many music events to list and I'm not listing UT Football until I see if we are worth mentioning

Jay Dean likes this.
  2. whiskeyboat

whiskeyboat

Driving:
    UberX
    LOL confidence is high

Ziggy likes this.
  3. Jay Dean

Jay Dean

Even Uber doesn’t want you to do Uber
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...kes-scooters-as-the-future-of-urban-transport

Had a pax say though that she read in some cities they put a time cap on them so people don’t drive drunk on them

I was downtown past two days no pings but scooters flying by me everywhere, even old dudes with grey hair lol...I think these things are a bigger deal then originally thought

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
    Ziggy likes this.
  4. Jay Dean

Jay Dean

Finally had a half decent day, think this will be a great weekend, time to play catch-up Thankfully lyft rematch at the airport works perfectly, it never fails.

Ziggy likes this.
  5. AustinAD99

AustinAD99

IDK, I always avoid pickups after a football game or some big event as they're suchs a clusterFluck, finding the pax and getting harassed by APD - last thing any driver needs is a big fat ticket to wipe out a days+ worth of rides.

Have started seeing some minor surging going on but seems like the heydays are over for the driver.

Ziggy likes this.
  6. Jay Dean

Jay Dean

Did any one drive the new surge, I’m online at 5:35am and see a $1.75 in a shaded area trying to look slick...geez wonder what that surge actually is

To be honest though, as shady as Uber has been I am surprised it took this long for them to do this new surge

7. Kenj19

Kenj19

I made over a hundred bucks last weekend..as a part time driver that's ok for me. You guys do a lot more than me, and I have mad respect for you. You deserve more if you are trying to make this a full time gig.

Jay Dean and Ziggy like this.
  8. Jay Dean

Jay Dean

170,but hustled, the city is back! Hey at 140 day I’m a happy camper, let all the hipsters ride in lol, was an easy day, hopefully the rest holds true in coming months...not so sure anymore.

Although this is by far the first year I have seen 100+ temps and people going out, Austin is such a crave people will sweat lol ...it is funny **** really

Ziggy likes this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy

Good Jay. I got $150 yesterday, my goal was $200 but I didn’t want to deal with the idiots after the game as that’s always a cluster

Jay Dean likes this.
  10. Jay Dean

Jay Dean

I created a menu of items to sell, and would like your advice on it before posting if possible and I’m sure I’ll be making revisions, as there may be something downright silly with it I’m not seeing haha

11. Ziggy

Ziggy

Send me a PM and I’ll look at it

Jay Dean likes this.
  12. Jay Dean

Jay Dean

Thanks Sounds good will later today after driving all the tourists in 100 degrees

13. TNCTopher

TNCTopher

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Here is where the **** get's real; Saturday night I was down on Rainey for a pre-arranged pickup. For giggles I opened Uber and got a fare estimate from the pax perspective back to my neighborhood. Almost $300 (Lux) and on the driver side it showed only +$18. That would have been a $90 payout to the driver.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy

Yeah, pax are still charged the multiplier and Uber gets the multi-layered cake; whereas the driver gets a few extra crumbs. *best bet is to educate pax that Uber & Lyft are gouging them (pax) - and they should change to RideAustin to make sure that they don’t get gouged by U/L

Erica_Le and El Gato like this.
  15. AustinAggie

AustinAggie

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    There was a time when I would have said with surge Uber was still a better deal. Of course, that was after I reluctantly signed up as Fare tucked tail and RA and Fasten requests plummeted. But with this new BS, back to RA for me during surge.
    I'm fortunate that I am now part time and after 2+ years, I'm only looking at doing this gig for a couple more months.

This new surge and selling it as better for the drivers is a royal FU from Uber. It speaks volumes about how little Uber thinks of their drivers.

Ziggy likes this.
  16. Zhoozhik

Zhoozhik

Hi, guys! Hope you'll share some information with me. I'm uber/lyft driver in LA county, but going to move to Austin and doing uber full time for the first several months. Here in LA I can make 25-27$/hour, on average (incl all bonuses), if I'm driving 50-60 hours a week. What about Austin? How much money full time driver can make there? Thanks in advance

Bennjaamin3 likes this.
  17. 12-24 months ago you could have made that here. Now, you'll have some $25 hours and some $15 hours. I really good 50-60 hour week you can gross $1000 BEFORE expenses. If you see someone post about making over a grand, that is the exception NOT the rule.

BTW guys, I drove Sunday for 8 hours and mentioned RA every time, got 4 people to download it, and 3 more said they would. Out of 15 rides, I almost got half. I'm getting real good at selling RA. The most effective move you can do is explain the situation, and then show the pax your take after you end the ride. This infuriated a couple of them and I got good tips. Those XL lake trips really brought it home when they saw me get $55 and they paid 90. Most locals seem more than willing to switch even if RA costs more...... The one thing they don't like.... is longer wait times. So, please drivers, whip out a 20 and go get the chauffeur permit. It appears that we are killing ourselves by not signing up to drive for RA.
    If you want more tips and eventually more $$$$ on fares, show pax your take, show them that Uber is getting 40% and more sometimes. Then, please sign up for RA to drive.

Ziggy likes this.
  18. AustinAD99

AustinAD99

Sooooo dead out right now. Headed out before noon, mainly to fuel up and get some lunch.
    Drove all over for a few hours and only one ride (RA). Ugh.

19. Kenj19

Kenj19

Buddy up with the guy coming from Seattle, maybe you'll be able to survive here.

MHR, Bennjaamin3 and Ms. Collette like this.
  20. Kenj19

Kenj19

I don't even bother trying days anymore, I've always been a night owl anyway