• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

ATX Driver Chat (October 2019)

Ziggy

Well, it's that time of year again ... be prepared to see 450K people flock to Austin for ACL ... not including the 10K "clueless" drivers coming here from all over Texas (in recent years I even saw a driver park a raggedy RV on Cardinal Loop with his Uber car in tow).

Anyway, if you've been living under a rock ... here's the skinny on ACL 2019:
  • Oct 4-6 ... Weekend 1
  • Oct 11-13 ... Weekend 2
Other Notable Events:
  • Premier League Fan Fest (DT - Scholz Garten (map)) - Oct 26-27
F1 isn't until Nov 1st this year, but likely people will start arriving the last week of October.

*yeah, I know I jumped the gun on posting this ... but with all the extra time on my hands, since I'm not picking up the cheap a$$ Lyft trips ... here you go.

Noonespecial

Just wanted to say that you can make the same money on Oct 1-3 as you can 4-6. Lots of airport rides with a rematch every single time. Tons of people put their house on AirbNb and they get out of town. Oct and Nov are months where you stash extra money away because dec 15 thru Jan 15 SUUUUUUUCK. Try and remember that. Take advantage of the rare busy weekdays.

Ziggy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just wanted to say that you can make the same money on Oct 1-3 as you can 4-6. Lots of airport rides with a rematch every single time. Tons of people put their house on AirbNb and they get out of town. Oct and Nov are months where you stash extra money away because dec 15 thru Jan 15 SUUUUUUUCK. Try and remember that. Take advantage of the rare busy weekdays.
Shhhh ... lol

DriverRI

Noonespecial

Any issues with Pax regarding that drop off area?

I saw this article today.

No issues at all. Just tell pax that you have to use the official uber drop off location and pick whichever spot you want that to be. For me its the bridge under mopac directly across from austin high school. Its the furthest physical dropoff away from zilker and you dont have to cross any bridges over town lake, you also dont go near any closed roads.

AustinAD99

Yep,
Austin High is the place to drop off the fastest and least painful if you're north of the river.
If south I go for schlotzsky's area on South Lamar.
I stay away from bee caves side as that's always a huge cluster fork.

Shinino

I hope you make money but ACL has never been terribly lucrative.
Here's a tip if you feel you must do ACL: pick up off of Edgegrove. It's off of Bee Cave Rd.
It's slightly less of a sh!t show to get in/out.
Thanks. I plan on moving more around ACL than going there -- at least, again, that's the plan. My plans -right now- (always subject to change) is Friday-Saturday from 4p-3a, Sunday from 4p-12a (have to work Mondays)

dssoper

No issues at all. Just tell pax that you have to use the official uber drop off location and pick whichever spot you want that to be. For me its the bridge under mopac directly across from austin high school. Its the furthest physical dropoff away from zilker and you dont have to cross any bridges over town lake, you also dont go near any closed roads.
And you don't bother with sticking around for a pick up, right?

Noonespecial

And you don't bother with sticking around for a pick up, right?
Not just no, but HELLLLLL NO!. Ill be out there from 8am to about 4pm, dropoffs are scattered throughout the day, pickups are one big simultaneous "holy forking shortballs!" (Sorry, been watching the good place on hulu.) Screw the new surge, it aint worth it when all the pick ups are at one spot and one time. Thats one hour for one ride and flat surge.....i leave that for all the (blankity blanks) that think its ok to do lyft rides. Thats their wheelhouse.

dssoper

Not just no, but HELLLLLL NO!. Ill be out there from 8am to about 4pm, dropoffs are scattered throughout the day, pickups are one big simultaneous "holy forking shortballs!" (Sorry, been watching the good place on hulu.) Screw the new surge, it aint worth it when all the pick ups are at one spot and one time. Thats one hour for one ride and flat surge.....i leave that for all the (blankity blanks) that think its ok to do lyft rides. Thats their wheelhouse.
I'm down with the Good Place! Thanks for the tips. ...

Also, The last 4 days it's felt like summer again. Ugh! That won't pay rent!

AustinAD99

Road Closures for ACL
Screen Shot 2019-09-30 at 8.28.26 PM.jpg

BTW during ACL downtown kinda becomes a ghost town.
Everyone that isn't at ACL stay away from DT, thinking it would be a mad house.
Then 10pm rolls around and it's like a ACL zombie herd passing thru DT as most are done for the night and just want to get home.
So drop off, turn off apps and boogie out to the boonies before turning the apps back on.

dssoper

So far...crickets. frustrated beyond comprehension!