• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

UberBeamer

Continuing our trend from February, this thread shall be an open discussion about anything for the month of March. Feel free to join in!

Spring is in the air and March 2018 promises many opportunities for rideshare drivers in Austin.

March highlights include:

Kite Fest (Zilker Park)
3/4

SXSW EDU Conference (Multiple Venues)
3/5 - 3/8

SXSW Conference and Festivals (Multiple Venues)
3/9 - 3/18

Rodeo Austin (Travis County Exposition Center)
Rideshare must use Gate 4 on Decker Lake Rd
3/10 - 3/24

Saint Patrick's Day (Multiple Venues)
3/17

PGA World Golf Championships - Dell Technologies Match Play (Austin Country Club)
Dropoff is under the 360 bridge
3/21 - 3/25

Urban Music Festival (Auditorium Shores)
3/30 - 3/31
And the party will continue. Some of the events coming in April...
  • Fashion Week (Various Locations) - 3/31 - 4/7
  • Capitol 10K (Congress/Auditorium Shores) - 4/8
  • Art City Austin Festival (Palmer Event Center) - 4/13 - 4/15
  • Old Settlers Music Festival (Dale, TX about 40 mi. SE of Austin) - 4/19 - 4/22
  • Reggae Fest (Auditorium Shores) - 4/20 - 4/22
  • MotoGP (COTA) - 4/20 - 4/22
  • Food + Wine Festival (Auditorium Shores/Republic Square Park) - 4/27 - 4/29
  • Eeyore's Birthday Party (Pease Park) - 4/28

Some helpful links for SXSW...

Pickup/Dropoff map for Dell Match Play...

DMP_Pickup.jpg

Last edited:

UberBeamer

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't know why everyone always forgets the rodeo - it's been happening every March for decades.

Austin Rodeo (rideshare must use Gate 4 on Decker Lake Rd)
3/10 - 3/24
Good call. I've added it to the OP list. Definitely chime in if there are any other worthy events that I've missed. It was right there on the Austin events page, so I have no excuse.

Last edited:

UberBeamer

I think the kite festival is going to be a big deal this year, because I think the weather was really bad last year and if I recall both dates were cancelled?
https://austin.curbed.com/2017/3/2/14796234/austin-kite-festival-tips-info-zilker-abc
http://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/zilker-kite-festival-canceled-for-2017/421750461

Yeah, going to be a big deal lol
The year before last my wife took her sister and nephews down there and convinced me to drive them and drop them off. It was pretty crazy. There were tons of people and there is pretty limited parking in the park itself. So I can imagine that a good number of people will try to take Uber/Lyft to get down there. I looked on their site and didn't see any suggestions for drop off points. But I realize you guys probably know way more than I after viewing this thread from back then.

Now that I think about it, I don't think I was able to drop them near the event and eventually took them over to Toney Burger Center where they hopped on a shuttle bus.

Last edited:

Ziggy

best place to drop people off for Zilker events used to be the old Jack in the Box lot (Lamar & Barton Springs) - the lot is fenced off now as it waits to become another Starbucks. But frankly, I'm glad you guys are so eager for Kite Fest, you can keep that and TOL too - lol.

Jay Dean

I will avoid it, was just saying it is going to be a big deal for austinites, didn't mean it would be profitable for drivers lol, although I am sure by now they got their shit together with traffic direction and hopefully drop off points? Even so, best to only catch the surge for people leaving if you can find a good exit strat...

UberBeamer

best place to drop people off for Zilker events used to be the old Jack in the Box lot (Lamar & Barton Springs) - the lot is fenced off now as it waits to become another Starbucks. But frankly, I'm glad you guys are so eager for Kite Fest, you can keep that and TOL too - lol.
So I'm assuming the second best option would be somewhere else in that general vicinity...McDonalds, P. Terry's, Bicycle Sport Shop, etc.?

SXSW actually has four parts; SXSWedu is often forgotten . . .

https://schedule.sxswedu.com/2018/3/5/events/type/panel

A
nd you need to include Dell Matchplay at Austin Country Club. Dropoff is under the bridge. Practice rounds start Wednesday March 21st.
Very good intel. Both added.

Jay Dean

Anyone know what the new squares they are putting up at the drop off points at airport are ? Even though I have them memorized it looks like they are in the way of seeing some of the drop off names

Last edited:

Ziggy

Anyone know what the new squares they are putting up at the drop off points at airport are ? Even though I have them memorized it looks like they are in the way of seeing some of the drop off names
They are jacking with arrivals too. Seems incredibly stupid to start construction during the busiest travel month of the year.

Last edited:

Jay Dean

Too bad that those “staff” are not real cops, starting to see too many cars stop in the through lanes to pickup pax lately
Just thinking back to around 2000, this airport was huge and was perfectly designed, I think the designers were like most other austinites and thought that this city wouldn't grow this way, now I look at the "one" lane going into departures as a huge error and the crosswalks as well compared to traffic going in, hopefully a fix will be made because it is annoying to wait in line in the one lane only to have some jerk try and cut in at the very end near the commercial lane at 5am.

Last edited:

Ziggy

Just thinking back to around 2000, this airport was huge and was perfectly designed, I think the designers were like most other austinites and thought that this city wouldn't grow this way, now I look at the "one" lane going into departures as a huge error and the crosswalks as well compared to traffic going in, hopefully a fix will be made because it is annoying to wait in line in the one lane only to have some jerk try and cut in at the very end near the commercial lane at 5am.
The airport traffic flow is far better than SAT - but then again, we have 6x more flights/day than SAT. Unfortunately, there isn't enough surface space for them to improve the traffic flow - and when the new 6,000 spot garage opens up it's gonna be a whole new set of traffic issues