• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

ATX driver chat (August 2019)

[d-_-b]

Well ... that's the downside to Gamification ... everyone's so intent on getting the Swag for playing the Uber game that they forget that they are not making any money.

Actually, don't believe anything that Uber or Lyft tells you ... the following are all lies:
  • You're in a busy area, expect trips soon
  • Premium trip likely
  • Accept more trips to get gold, platinum, diamond (status that is ... not worth sh*t IRL)
  • Lower fares mean more trips
In the end, everything Uber does is to reward themselves ... on a positive note - Uber just lost $5.2Billion last quarter (https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/8/20793793/uber-5-billion-quarter-loss-profit-lyft-traffic-2019) ... so I wouldn't expect them to give any raises to drivers anytime soon

I agree with you and I was hoping to see just how active the weekday are for driving at night.

I usually drive Friday & Saturday's from 10 PM - 2 AM or so and it's been a great experience for me.

Ziggy

I agree with you and I was hoping to see just how active the weekday are for driving at night.

I usually drive Friday & Saturday's from 10 PM - 2 AM or so and it's been a great experience for me.
All bets are off during the summer ... both daytime & nighttime. Summer months it's bleak, to say the least ... most of the students are out of town and the ones who are here are driving for extra cash, teachers are driving too, there are very few biz conferences ... and overall it just sucks. Next week some of the students will start coming back to town to register for school and most teachers will stop driving so it will pick up some ... but UT doesn't officially start until the end of August. So frankly, I wouldn't perform your test until September when things should be back to normal.

Sean_gtx

The most irritating part of the pride weekend isn't the riders, for me its all the road closures. Sends all the cars on to the smaller 2 lane side streets and jams it up. I wish I had some Pepto Bismol to get the streets moving last night!

AustinAD99

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thats one of the big reasons I don't like driving pride or anything else that cuts the city in two.
The Marathon is good if you're just dropping off the runners in the AM. Just don't accept a ride on the other side - took me 20+ minutes to (what would have been) a 3 block pickup. Plus the guy kept calling me after I explained the delay the 1st call. ugh.

Saw the whole downtown on fire lastnight but only was offered one bonus/wait area.
So I did my switch to Lux so I could wait and rackup the max bonus...but I ended up getting a lux ride within a minute.

$20 pay on a $30 ride with no tip, almost like the good ol days driving x with surge.

chancewilk

Part time driver turned full-time for now. Started full time mid-June. Both apps. honda civic.

I just downloaded Gridwise. I don't wait in airport queue. Monday/fri morning 4-10am. thurs-sat 8-2am. avoid downtown 11am-2pm. I still take pool/shared to minimize downtime. Also, I drive around while looking for rides.

What am I doing right and wrong? Any advice is appreciated!

Well you wanna stay away from the airport runs; too much luggage to deal with. you want to hang out up north because we need more drivers up there. Campus is a great moneymaker . Be sure to decline all the long trips, though, because you meet more people picking up short trips. The airport Q is also great but only if there’s at least 90 people in it ; otherwise you tend to feel rushed. Be sure to turn off the app at about 1:55 AM - after that everything is dead.

AustinAD99

Went out just after 12am to grab a cool iced soda and ended up catching a 1.25x RA ABAI request...I was at MLK/Airport.
Nice ~$19+5 ride to DT.
Had RA on only as I wanted to get my soda and ended up snagging a long round tripper and grabbed another $45.

Would have been $40ish for both had it been on U/L.

Who says drinking sodas is bad for you...

Shinino

Pride wasn't bad -- downtown was busy, surge kept coming and going on Uber (nothing on Lyft until like 2:30, and it was east of downtown -- still, got a nice little $7 bonus). Did about average on the weekend, $210 combined for about 10-11 hours.

Ziggy

Apparently a few “Mario Andretti “ wannabe drivers got popped on their way to the airport today. No upside to racing on the streets even if the pax bribes you because they are going to miss their flight

AustinAD99

Apparently a few “Mario Andretti “ wannabe drivers got popped on their way to the airport today. No upside to racing on the streets even if the pax bribes you because they are going to miss their flight
Ouch,
I am always amused when I get that pax whose running late and wants you to speed etc.
Most of the times these are the ones that wait 4:59 minutes before coming outside.

I always smile and say "I'll see what I can do, but this gig doesn't pay enough to get a ticket...next time you should think about leaving earlier" and then watch them squirm in the backseat.

Noonespecial

Actually, they got hit double. Good friend of mine is APD, they posted a tow truck with the lights on and were busting people for not slowing down or moving over. It wasnt a speed trap, it was a safety issue. They had EIGHT patrol units and stopped EVERYONE who went over 70 and stayed in the left lane. Anyone who moved over OR slowed down was left alone. Seems fair to me.

Noonespecial

Ben white past montopolis. He said they weren't hiding, tow truck and police cars clearly visible. They were there all day for hours. Anyone who did any airport ride today should have seen them. They pulled over people who just flat out ignored the tow truck with its flashing lights on and a "disabled vehicle" in the loading position.

dssoper

I have been out for almost 3 hours w 2 short rides and 1 decent one . Ugh!! Anyone else?

Also, any insight to the acceptance rate dropping even though you have received zero requests since last update? ...

Actually I just confirmed this for myself. An hour ago it said I had 31 declined trips...I just looked and it says I declined 34...yet I did not. Been here by my phone the whole time. ?

dssoper

Well you wanna stay away from the airport runs; too much luggage to deal with. you want to hang out up north because we need more drivers up there. Campus is a great moneymaker . Be sure to decline all the long trips, though, because you meet more people picking up short trips. The airport Q is also great but only if there’s at least 90 people in it ; otherwise you tend to feel rushed. Be sure to turn off the app at about 1:55 AM - after that everything is dead.
Huh!!!