• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

ATX driver chat (August 2019)

AustinAD99

Come on fall semester - ACL, football games and I will only be driving RA during surges!
Hang in there guys...28 days until the start of classes - but should start seeing the kids coming back sooner.

Ziggy

Looks like the new normal for Uber is to "hide" how many cars are in the main airport queue ... so you'd almost have to drive over there to see if it's worth driving over to the airport (most of the time, it's not worth going to the airport) ... unless you already have a pax in the car.

On a side note, they finally delineated the small lot on Spirit of Texas Drive ... and they re-activated the South Terminal lot. FWIW - the South Terminal only gets 20 flights a day and the lot is soooo small that unless everyone is packed in real tight, you're hard-pressed to fit more than 6 or 7 cars in the lot ... and even if everyone squeezed in bumper-to-bumper ... the most you can get in there is 9 cars (or 12 cars if they are all minis) ... and then you'd have to hope people move their car in time for you to get your pax

Noonespecial

For the next 2 weeks, it will actually be profitable to take rides around UT. There will be multiple XLs and airport rides. XLs will be visiting families and students needing to move a tv or dresser to their new apartment. Airport rides will be moms and dads going home after visiting their child's new school. These airport runs are solid for tips. Lots of XLs with families going dwntwn for lunch after unpacking. These are easy $10 for 10 minutes rides. Also, more XLs out of the airport with 1 student and 9 suitcases. Take Ben white to mopac to 35th for a nice $35 fare.

Ziggy

Thanks TXdot ... I didn't like 183 leaving the airport anyway. No I can avoid it for the next 12 months :smiles:

AustinAD99

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks TXdot ... I didn't like 183 leaving the airport anyway. No I can avoid it for the next 12 months :smiles:
I ran the north bound 183 construction nightmare yesterday. Was a breeze.
Was the direct route and had picked up a fellow grunt at the VA, so wasn't about to try and pad he bill.
Great guy - got shot in the face for our 'freedom', er I mean oil.

He said 183 was good to go - I told him I've been avoiding it for a week+ due to the 7th/airport uturn clusterflock.
But seems like they've got it setup now that you have to exit 183 to do the uturn so it doesn't mess with the 183 traffic - or at least as much - maybe would be jammed up during rush.

Had my first AP to AP ride yesterday - ABIA to Austin Executive. At first I thought it was to the backside of ABIA with the private jets - but it's all the way up past Pfluger.
Ended up taking the 130 toll - hate that - took back a bit and now I'm going to have to fight with Lyft to get my toll money. Pain in the ass. Did take advantage of Lyfts rules that the pax has to pay toll for your return trip...got me home fast.

Ziggy

I ran the north bound 183 construction nightmare yesterday. Was a breeze.
Was the direct route and had picked up a fellow grunt at the VA, so wasn't about to try and pad he bill.
Great guy - got shot in the face for our 'freedom', er I mean oil.

He said 183 was good to go - I told him I've been avoiding it for a week+ due to the 7th/airport uturn clusterflock.
But seems like they've got it setup now that you have to exit 183 to do the uturn so it doesn't mess with the 183 traffic - or at least as much - maybe would be jammed up during rush.

Had my first AP to AP ride yesterday - ABIA to Austin Executive. At first I thought it was to the backside of ABIA with the private jets - but it's all the way up past Pfluger.
Ended up taking the 130 toll - hate that - took back a bit and now I'm going to have to fight with Lyft to get my toll money. Pain in the ass. Did take advantage of Lyfts rules that the pax has to pay toll for your return trip...got me home fast.
I’d take the short way for other vets too; but everyone else can go another way

Ziggy

Does Uber pay the difference or the rider on that route?
Uber pays the difference if they originally quoted pax rate based on a shorter route. However, if you don't take pax to the original destination from the trip you got, then likely they'll hold your pay for a couple of days until they verify with pax that they actually went to the further destination ... the best bet, in that case, is to make sure that the pax changes the destination before you end the trip. *sometimes when you take a longer route than Uber tells you to go, you'll see a "Uber receives -$6 or something like that" ... biggest one I had was "Uber got -$22"

AustinAD99

Not bad, not bad...but you've much to learn about the darkside!
Stopped for gas, piss and pax got them some drinks!
Figured if Lyft complained about the stop that I'd tell them it's Lyfts fault as it was one of those forced 'next' rides that they push to drivers. No gas = no ride.
I always tell the pax whats going on (if it's egregiously off course) and let them know that on a shared ride that it's a set price for them.

Love their note about if it's negative that Lyft is bending over backwards to cover the drivers pay and not making $.

Lineshot.jpg

Last edited:

dssoper

Yesterday and today has been more painfully slow... non-existent actually, than most the rest of summer. Painful! Watching paint dry...

AustinAD99

You aren't kidding.
Just under $65 for the day - calling it for now - maybe I'll go out later...maybe.
Got two $3 tips today - one from a workerbee and the other from a couple of homeless dude going downtown to score some weed.

And nothing from the tubby little dude living in Mueller - to the Iron Bear for $6 pitchers.

dssoper

You aren't kidding.
Just under $65 for the day - calling it for now - maybe I'll go out later...maybe.
Got two $3 tips today - one from a workerbee and the other from a couple of homeless dude going downtown to score some weed.

And nothing from the tubby little dude living in Mueller - to the Iron Bear for $6 pitchers.
I called it when I was @ $15 in 2.5 hours. Tried positioning in a couple different areas that usually work out. No luck. I will try to go out as well here shortly. Hopefully get an AP ride.

Ziggy

You aren't kidding.

Answers my question of whether or not I should go out ... better bet is to crack a cold one and try to grab some early rides in the morning.

AustinAD99

Ended up not going back out as well.
One of the worst weekends I've ever had...especially Sat, Sun.
Was like a neutron bomb went off.
Lets hope that's the last of it.

BTW
Had a nice long shared (single pax) that got that -$6 treatment.
BUT I was following the nav, except avoided tolls by keeping to the frontage, until I was forced on (hate those setups). So saved Lyft a couple bucks on tolls but they still took a bath. Guess they're trying to lock down those longer rides?

And anyone else notice Lyft (or maybe it's google maps) going out of its way to get you on a toll?
Picked up at Mopac/Wells Branch and nav wanted me to go Mopac Toll to 45 Toll.
When the much shorter route is to stay on access road/Burnet...by almost a mile and no toll.

So has me wondering if U/L have some sort of kickback agreement with these toll operators.