ATX Driver Chat (April 2019)

Ziggy

Well, we survived March - SXSW, Indy, Matchplay ... let's see what April bring besides taxes & Bluebonnets.

Notable April Events:
April 7 - Cap 10K (downtown)
April 11-14 - Old Settler's Music Festival (Tilmon, TX - near Lockhart)
April 12-13 - Lone Star Roundup (Decker Lane)
April 14 - MotoGP (Cota)
April 15 - Tax Day ... remember to file or suffer the consequences ... lol
April 15-24 - Austin Fashion Week (downtown)
April 17-21 - Fusebox Festival (downtown)
April 19-21 - Austin Reggae Festival (Auditorium Shores)
April 19-21 - Balloons Over Horseshoe Bay (Horseshoe Bay Resort)
April 24-27 - Moontower Comedy Fest (downtown)
April 26-28 - Austin Food & Wine Festival (Auditorium Shores)
April 27 - Eeyore's Birthday Party (Pease Park)

Not listing all the smaller stuff - you can find that on your own

Good Luck - Be Safe - Be Happy

Noonespecial

I hope some of you got on the lyft short bus. Today was payday. Uber is filing their IPO tomorrow, but they are going conservative on their target value. This one will be a little riskier. Im sure i dont have to tell you, but if you didnt short lyft 2 weeks ago you definately dont want to buy it now. Maybe when it hits the market target of $42, but i still dont see any profit in their future. Uber shouldve waited a little longer but now that they are both public the pressure to show profit will go way up. In the next few months, look out for possible rate cuts, higher prices and fewer rides. Sadly, i think for drivers that summer is gonna be rough. April may be the last month for awhile to stash some cash. Keep an eye on those help wanted ads.

Last edited:

AustinAD99

So much turmoil going on out there.
I just had my car 'retired' by a dummy driver.
All her fault so insurance is going my way on this one.
Everyone should get a 2 cam dashcam. No disputing the video.

Looking at replacement cars, but haven't found her yet.
Thinking of trying out Lyfts car rental/indentured servitude program.
Would feel nice not to worry about anything but the gas.
Anyone tried 'express drive'?

Also read where Tesla is planning on doing Rideshare soon...maybe by end of 2019.
100% autonomous - send your Tesla out into the world to earn some bucks.

AustinAggie

I hope somebody made money on MotoGP. I attended and out of curiosity I turned on the Uber app. Surge was $28. I wonder if it was because many drivers have bailed on COTA because the concerts suck for driving.

Ziggy

So much turmoil going on out there.
I just had my car 'retired' by a dummy driver.
All her fault so insurance is going my way on this one.
Everyone should get a 2 cam dashcam. No disputing the video.

Looking at replacement cars, but haven't found her yet.
Thinking of trying out Lyfts car rental/indentured servitude program.
Would feel nice not to worry about anything but the gas.
Anyone tried 'express drive'?

Also read where Tesla is planning on doing Rideshare soon...maybe by end of 2019.
100% autonomous - send your Tesla out into the world to earn some bucks.
Sorry to hear that ... at least you were able to walk away.

While I don't rent, I have friends that do ... the biggest downside is if you use the indentured servant programs you can only do rides for their app - either Lyft or Uber. *lately Lyft's new surge has been sucking worse than Uber's new surge, hard to imagine that Uber actually has something better than Lyft ... but at least with Uber surge it sticks with you after you leave the surge zone, Lyft snatches it back and browbeats you because you're leaving the surge zone.
Post automatically merged:

I hope somebody made money on MotoGP. I attended and out of curiosity I turned on the Uber app. Surge was $28. I wonder if it was because many drivers have bailed on COTA because the concerts suck for driving.
Never went there ... because the official pickup area is now at the Exxon station on 812 outside of COTA - probably because COTA got tired of 'entitled' Uber/Lyft drivers parking/blocking Circuit of the Americas Blvd while waiting for a ping. *so now I'm only going out to COTA if I have a private client scheduled to go there & back

Besides now that Lyft switched from % to $ ... it's not worth taking their BS

Last edited:

Noonespecial

My lyft primetime still has % and not $. I never take less than XL but its the same surge of old.

I did make money on motogp....by avoiding it. I was late to work sunday because i took this XL 45 min+, a nice mini unicorn to the Renaissance fest.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-04-14-19-28-05.png
    Screenshot_2019-04-14-19-28-05.png
    60 KB · Views: 82

AustinAD99

My lyft primetime still has % and not $. I never take less than XL but its the same surge of old.

I did make money on motogp....by avoiding it. I was late to work sunday because i took this XL 45 min+, a nice mini unicorn to the Renaissance fest.
Nice ride...lets see the 'earnings breakdown'.

So whats the deal with Lyft? I haven't driven in a few weeks.

Noonespecial

Six 30 somethings dressed as fairies and wizzards. Couldnt have been nicer. I long hauled them as best as i could. Lyft still got their 25%.
I don't know whats up with lyft but ive seen two people say they switched to the shitty $ surge. Im still showing the regular % primetime. Also, in austin and SA their website says you need a 2010 or newer and im still using my 2009 xc90. I do maybe 2 lyft rides a month because i only use destination mode and XL. This ride popped up before i could turn on destination mode and it was 45+ so i took it and called to work that i would be late. Dont get many nice rides like this anymore. Sure as hell cant do any 45+ X rides anymore....they are total losers now.

I snagged this X yesterday after my usual dest mode to airport.
Called to see where they were headed and it was pure luck. If i didnt live in new braunfels then this ride wouldve been 75 deadhead miles. Not worth it if it was to ft hood. I used to love those.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-04-16-14-35-31.png
    Screenshot_2019-04-16-14-35-31.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot_2019-04-15-15-19-14.png
    Screenshot_2019-04-15-15-19-14.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

Ziggy

So whats the deal with Lyft? I haven't driven in a few weeks.
Lyft started shifting drivers in Austin last week to "Personal Power Zones" ($ - surge) vs. "Primetime" (% - surge); some people are lucky enough to still have Primetime (%). And unlike Uber $, Lyft $ disappear after you leave the PPZ (personal power zone).

AustinAD99

Lyft started shifting drivers in Austin last week to "Personal Power Zones" ($ - surge) vs. "Primetime" (% - surge); some people are lucky enough to still have Primetime (%). And unlike Uber $, Lyft $ disappear after you leave the PPZ (personal power zone).
So it sounds like they're trying to keep the drivers distributed, instead of all rushing to the surge area?
And by not making the driver go to where Lyft wants us, just 'rewarding' it - then drivers can't claim employee status.
These guys don't miss a trick.

maverik5225

My MotoGP experience. On Saturday I happened to be near the airport when i noticed a $20 surge, and I thought maybe they were just letting out so I headed that way. Summary:
- By the time I got a ping, I was on Elroy road heading to back entrance and surge had gone up to $25 by then
- It took me nearly 20 min to get to the back entrance, due to idiots directing traffic at the intersection (they'd let 1000 cars go out before our lane got its turn, and always someone up front needing to go straight so the rest of us couldn't just turn right into the entrance
- I get to the entrance and now the traffic folks allowed ALL LANES to be exit lanes so now no way to get in. I get rudely direct to head straight and now i'm headed to the front entrance
- I turn right onto the front entrance highway and then another traffic controller directs me to turn left, now i've driven almost 10 miles around COTA and i'm back on the tollway going north
- 40 minutes have gone by and I finally get to the front entrance. The place is almost empty now.
- Pax are headed to the Statesman parking lot so it was a nice fare getting me back into the action

Overall not bad compensation for the time, but would have saved 30 min if not for the idiots

Conclusions:
- Dont ever take Elroy road for pickups at MotoGP
- Approach from FM812 and turn left to get into COTA. There is a dedicated left turn lane there
- Access the limo pickup area across from Lot B from the front
- Get in touch with your pax early and advise of delays....they will wait

Bigsk8r

Well... I have been on travel a lot the past many weeks and have just gotten back on the road a bit this week. Yesterday, some co-workers from out of town wanted a ride to the airport, so I was happy to oblige. Noting that they wanted to use Uber, I sent an e-mail to the ring leader and got him on to RA. I did exaggerate slightly, but he signed up and we used that.

If you want to use any or all of this in dealing with freinds / family / co-workers, feel free to copy at will...

"Andrew,

With the weather and how the drivers are here, if you want to arrive in time for food and a drink, you might want to plan on loading up at 4.

Also, if it isn’t too much of a hassle, please consider using Ride Austin when here instead of Uber or Lyft. The benefits are numerous:

• Same passenger rates as Uber / Lyft
  • Non-profit that benefits the city
  • Drivers are required to have a fingerprint background check
  • Drivers are required to have an Austin chauffer’s permit
  • Drivers are required to have newer, higher minimum requirement vehicles than others
  • Driver makes the whole fee less a small booking charge (Uber keeps 38-42%, Lyft 25-35%)
  • Highly rated drivers (like me) have a Direct Connect Code so that the passenger can request them again.

Whatever you decide is fine with me. Just letting you know there is something way better than Uber here…

http://www.rideaustin.com/

Direct Connect Code xxxxx if you decide to go this route…"

Ziggy

As a full-time driver, I rarely need a ride; but when I do I always request RideAustin & I always tip the driver ... unless I can't find an RA driver in the area. However, today another RA driver told me that he normally requests Lyft instead of RA because it's cheaper. *seems to me that if existing RA drivers aren't ordering an RA for their own rides, that's part of the problem as to why RA is "treading water".

Curious to know how many other RA drivers don't request RideAustin service in the rare event that they need a ride???

Bigsk8r

Yeah, that’s not cool. Ride Austin on the long airport runs I take as a rider is like $2 more than Uber. If that.

We need Ride Austin to do well. That’s why I will go out of my way to get those riders when pings come in from 10+ min away. It’s less about being efficient than it is about maintaining the customers good will with the network.

Ziggy

We need Ride Austin to do well. That’s why I will go out of my way to get those riders when pings come in from 10+ min away. It’s less about being efficient than it is about maintaining the customers' goodwill with the network.
Agreed. I've driven as much as 20+ mins away for SUV & above. And up to 15 mins for Standard. And I've left the airport queue to pick up RA pax on SUV & above.

We're much luckier than most cities because we have RideAustin as an alternative ... sure it doesn't some of the features that U/L have like instapay & scheduled rides ... but they also don't take 30-60+% of your money.

Noonespecial

Well.....after several months of destination mode only I think I have finally given my last ride. Uber is @@@@ing austin with their uberpro bullshit. No more airport rematches unless you give 400 rides a month, which would require losing money on pool and shitty riverside rides or driving 7 days a week. I also just read that they dont even give the 3 or 6 percent bonus either. Guess its time to leave all this to the desperate full timers. At least the guys who spend their days in the airport queue wont be waiting so long anymore. Peace out.

AustinAD99

Well.....after several months of destination mode only I think I have finally given my last ride. Uber is @@@@ing austin with their uberpro bullshit. No more airport rematches unless you give 400 rides a month, which would require losing money on pool and shitty riverside rides or driving 7 days a week. I also just read that they dont even give the 3 or 6 percent bonus either. Guess its time to leave all this to the desperate full timers. At least the guys who spend their days in the airport queue wont be waiting so long anymore. Peace out.
Damn, that ~100 ride a week. I drive full time and have never gotten close to 100 rides in a week.

Noonespecial

I cant see the airport queue from new braunfels, is that "diamond queue" on the map in the app? At first i thought that drivers who hussle are being punished and drivers who sit at the airport queue will get rewarded with shorter waits. Now im reading that there is a "diamond queue" and its possible that drivers who sit in the regular queue have to wait for the diamond queue to be zero.
Anyone who drove today, how was the airport rematch?
The forum seems quiet for such a big change.