ATX ANT chat June 2020

Terri Lee

Got a trip from north of San Antonio up to Waterloo.
Lots of ants, but surprisingly I kept real busy.
Busier than I wanted to be, so I turned off the app and got the heck out of Austin.

Thanks for sharing.

Terri Lee

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Something (else) new and irritating from Lyft.
So I’m in greater San Marcos, having just dropped someone off; and I turn the app OFF.
Which seem like a real odd time for Lyft to pop up a pop up that reads something like, “You’re not authorized to drive in this area!”
So I click on More Info just for grins and it starts in with all these requirements, like I’d just arrived from Albania.
Oh yes...”This area” turned out to be Austin, which I was a good 30 miles from, but who cared anyway? We’re cleared for all of Texas, for a long time now.
Unless I missed a memo.
Anyway, a minute later I turned the app back on and never saw the message again.
Changing the subject. Well no...the subject is still how nuts Lyft is.
For the 5th or so so time in the last few days I approach an address and the ARRIVAL signal. And when I click on it get threatened with deactivation!
It is bizarre.
Followed the map guide right to the pax, and indeed was right in front of the apartment stairway she was coming down...and Lyft announces, “You’re Risking Deactivation!”
I actually used to enjoy this gig, and would tell people so.

AustinAD99

I'm making over 60% of my post-expense income just hanging at home collecting UI ... so no reason to scrounge for UL pennies. There are a handful of guys driving, but I'm making the same as they are without using any gas ... so thanks, but no thanks
Yeah, me as well. Why go to the trouble and risk of driving right now.
Took me forever and a day to get the UI money flowing and I'm the pax now!
Did get an email from Lyft offering bonus $250 for 50 rides (I think it was 50) this week.
Pass.

So I'm sitting and soaking up that government gravy while the corporations eat the main course.

Noonespecial

We are still suffering so that dear leader's minions can help his re-election. And, the police murder protests aren't helping either. While new york city and other areas are seeing a rapid decline Texas is still looking for the top of the curve. Its sad that people choose to ignore doctors. In 1918 the spanish flu swept through and killed for 2 years and Texas will suffer the same fate. Be safe and collect that life saving unemployment. Maybe you would survive, but what about your passengers?

wilsonz83

We are still suffering so that dear leader's minions can help his re-election. And, the police murder protests aren't helping either. While new york city and other areas are seeing a rapid decline Texas is still looking for the top of the curve. Its sad that people choose to ignore doctors. In 1918 the spanish flu swept through and killed for 2 years and Texas will suffer the same fate. Be safe and collect that life saving unemployment. Maybe you would survive, but what about your passengers?
Fake News!!!!!!

Ziggy

I swung through the airport yesterday to pick up a friend ... there were only 12 cars in the main TNC lot at 7:30 pm - but there were far fewer taxis than U/L.

I didn't recognize a single driver at ABIA ... and didn't talk to any of them. 3 planes landed and only 4 cars got called up. On my way to pick up my friend, I decided to drive through the GTC ... where I saw only 2 pax waiting for rides and only 1 taxi in line ... to say it's bleak is an understatement. If I hadn't gotten a call from a friend who didn't want to ride with a random Uber driver, I wouldn't have seen how bleak it was at the airport. *that said, there were no SUVs or XL at the airport, so Gary would have been screwed if he was counting on an Uber - since none would have been able to carry his water skis.

Best bet - Stay Home - collect UI gravy ... which is where I am now. Maybe things will get back to normal after July 31 ... but 'til then I'm staying home & safe.

DDW

Something (else) new and irritating from Lyft.
So I’m in greater San Marcos, having just dropped someone off; and I turn the app OFF.
Which seem like a real odd time for Lyft to pop up a pop up that reads something like, “You’re not authorized to drive in this area!”
So I click on More Info just for grins and it starts in with all these requirements, like I’d just arrived from Albania.
Oh yes...”This area” turned out to be Austin, which I was a good 30 miles from, but who cared anyway? We’re cleared for all of Texas, for a long time now.
Unless I missed a memo.
Anyway, a minute later I turned the app back on and never saw the message again.
Changing the subject. Well no...the subject is still how nuts Lyft is.
For the 5th or so so time in the last few days I approach an address and the ARRIVAL signal. And when I click on it get threatened with deactivation!
It is bizarre.
Followed the map guide right to the pax, and indeed was right in front of the apartment stairway she was coming down...and Lyft announces, “You’re Risking Deactivation!”
I actually used to enjoy this gig, and would tell people so.
I can't wait for Lyft to go out of business. Then Uber won't have any competition and they can raise rates and start paying us more.

Noonespecial

You can never compete with the rental car drivers. You dont have the economic luxury that they do....or you aren't willing to put in those 90 hr weeks.

AustinAD99

10-80-10 rule apply, but I think it might be more 10-60-30 due to having one of the '30' in 'charge'.

The 10-80-10 principle reasons that in an emergency or crisis 10% of us are leaders; we have a plan, take action, and do the right thing. This group has been labeled the “Survivors”. We are quick to assess and make a decision. Individuals in public safety professions generally live in this world on a daily basis.

The largest group of us are the 80% who may be dazed, panicky and disoriented. We are “Confused” and struggle to simply make sense out of the situation. We seek direction and wait for someone to take the lead and tell us what to do.

Finally, there are the “Doomed”; 10% of us that behave in counter-productive ways. We may intentionally ignore authoritative sources, do the wrong thing and even hasten our own injury.
Now we're starting to see that even after bouncing back from covid-19 your health might never be the same.

But recovering from the initial onslaught of the virus on the body may only be the start of long-term health issues for some patients.
---
For a small number of people, particularly those who have been treated in intensive care, a worrying picture is emerging of patients with lung, kidney or heart damage.
Article Link

That old saying of "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" is utter BS. Should be "What doesn't kill you, makes you limp for the rest of your shortened life"

Notice how Lyft (haven't seen Uber do it yet) are giving some PPE (Masks) and hand sanitizer to drivers at HUB - limited supply hurry, hurry, hurry. This way they can 'wash' their hands if a driver gets sick. And they remind us to keep our windows down to limit exposure. Sure that's going go well with the paxes when its 100+ outside.

Reactions: DDW