Would you ask your rider for tips at your own discretion?

• Total voters

YorkieLover

Per Uber policy; Uber drivers can ask for tips now, but at their own discretion, more info in the Uber webpage found on this link:
https://help.uber.com/h/d1a581ed-a0fb-4bf6-899b-020e26fb613d

Screenshot_2017-02-16-17-12-22.png

What do you guys think? Is it wrong ? Is it begging?Is it morally unacceptable?

Kodyhead

I personally think it is rude to ask for a tip, and the tip jar in you car is even worse IMO. I average about 15%-20% in tips a week right now, not sure if that is low or high, but I am comfortable with that amount and always looking to improve. Maybe it is because I spent some time in the industry, but if my bartender, server, valet etc asked me for a tip, I would give them a much lower tip, and then tell them I actually would of given them more, if you didn't rudely assume I wasn't going to tip, and basically insult me especially in front of a date, or client.

I realize it is different with UBER because tipping is not the norm, but I still believe tips are earned, there are a lot more subtle ways to ask for a tip without the need of directly asking for a tip, and that includes the tip jar. Especially the tourists, where the majority of my tips come from, If you drive for Uber enough, you already have the knowledge of where tourists or locals go, eat and party. A lot of times all it takes is recommending a restaurant, event, mall etc, some simple recommendation.

I have never stepped foot inside E11even, but if you tell a group of young men you picked up from tootsies, and after the whole, where you from, first time here blah blah blah conversation, if you say something like

Have you heard about E11even? If they don''t know, tell them it is a 24/7 high end strip club with a liquor license. I never been inside, but man I drop people off there and pick people up there all the time and a lot of the first timer tourists said it is amazing.

Or if you drive by a restaurant you pick people up, even if you never ate there, or hate the place, if you just say a lot of people go there, and I pick people up or bring people there all the time. Same goes with Clubs or bars and knowing when is ladies night or ifiv is great on Sunday nights.

If a rider asks if you ever had any crazy stories or incidents, make sure you have a good story to tell. If they ask you if you have another job, make sure you are prepared with a speech kind of like when you are on a job interview when they as "so tell me about yourself"

Even if you don't get a tip, you should at least be engaged enough with a rider whenever possible to see what they liked about a place or some interesting fact of the place you can use as a recommendation to the next rider

All that being said, some passengers just don't want to talk, that is cool, not every rider tips, but all you need is a couple of nice tips to make your night.

1* automatic.

Less than half your riders rate you anyway, so there is a 50/50 shot that will not happen even if you give outstanding service. A LOT of people just don't rate drivers.

The biggest issue is that there are a lot of people like myself who just don't carry cash, I only use credit cards when possible to get airline miles. And the only cash I carry now, is from the tips I get from Uber/Lyft, to give change to people who need it. If I wasn't driving Uber/Lyft, I would have no cash at all unless I went to the ATM.

Last edited:

REX HAVOC

Jagent

If Uber was smart, they'd start a national campaign , TV and radio.....

"Why pay a car payment when you can Uber?" "Uber - The smartest car! (Don't forget to tip!)"

That would get more ride requests than any price cut. They could even raise rates and make driving good again.

I_Like_Spam

If Uber was smart, they'd start a national campaign , TV and radio.....

"Why pay a car payment when you can Uber?" "Uber - The smartest car! (Don't forget to tip!)"

Uber is trying to attract city bus riders, not folks with cars. Those customers are very cost conscious.

naplestom75

Quite simply, Uber might finally realize they are alienating drivers. At least they finally said those words "a tip is not included in the fare"

Flacco

Quite simply, Uber might finally realize they are alienating drivers. At least they finally said those words "a tip is not included in the fare"

Uber allowed tip signs as a result of one of their many lawsuits!!!

The Attorney, in the settlement, should have made Uber send all Pax a message to the effect that "Tip is not included. Tipping is optional"

JimKE

I had a pax make up the most convoluted, bizarre tipping story yesterday. I drove her from her bayfront high rise condo ($300,000 - $400,000 range) in Midtown to her brother's home on La Gorce Island (where home values range from $3.2 million to $35 million).

She said Uber always sends her an email after each ride so she can pay her tip by credit card. I assume she brought this up -- I didn't start the discussion -- because of a slide show I display which mentions tips and the fact that I can take them by credit card on my iPad.

I suggested that she must be thinking of Lyft, but she insisted she's never ridden in Lyft and was talking about Uber. She thanked me for the "Five-star service" and assured me that I "would be taken care of."

Oddly, her promised tip does not show up in my Uber earnings statement. :rolleyes: LOL.

I'm not one to rate a rider down for not tipping. But if you make up an elaborate lie -- which anyone would know is NOT true -- you get 1-star. Sorry.

Jc.

JimKE a quick question, squad cars has the child safety lock right? So bad guys can't open it from inside.
I wonder if there is a way, we could put on and a sign on the window saying " to release the lock, tip da driva" LOL and it releases at the push of a button