1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

At Least 18 Citations Issued During Uber, Lyft Permit Check at MSP Airport

Discussion in 'Minneapolis' started by BurgerTiime, Aug 10, 2018.

1. BurgerTiime

BurgerTiime

Driving:
    Lyft
    https://kstp.com/news/at-least-18-c...ber-lyft-permit-check-at-msp-airport/5025982/
    [​IMG]

Police at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport police are cracking down on Uber and Lyft drivers who don’t have the right permits.

“You’ve got to follow the rules, and if don't follow the rules, you're going to get a ticket,” said Jeff Lewison, from Woodbury, who drives for both Uber and Lyft. “It's plain and simple.”

A Metropolitan Airports Commission (MAC) spokesperson John Welbes said police held a permit checkpoint at the waiting lot on Tuesday after receiving a tip from other drivers.

At least 18 citations were issued to people who did not have the airport decal displayed, have their airport permit with them or were not displaying Uber and Lyft decals.

In February a new ordinance went into effect requiring each driver to pay $25 and submit their information to apply for an airport permit. Drivers must have the permit with them at all times and display a decal to legally pick up passengers from the airport.

“It’s worth the $25,” said Lewison.

He said he usually makes about $40 on a ride from the airport to downtown Minneapolis, which makes up for the annual permit fee.

“Friday’s are pretty busy because everyone comes in town for the weekend,” he said.

Drivers are put into a queue as they enter the waiting lot, determining the order they pick up passengers. Welbes told us that because service is requested through apps, drivers can still get calls for pickups from the lot even if they don’t have a permit.

“That’s really irritating and it’s kind of unfair,” said Katie Heldt, an Uber and Lyft driver from Brooklyn Park. “Just follow the rules it's as easy as that.”

She said the $25 fee is reasonable. Drivers who work for both Uber and Lyft are required to get two permits

“It seems really unnecessary, like they're just trying to get extra money,” said Heldt. “We’re all meeting in the same place it just doesn't make sense.”

MAC has issued about 12,000 permits to Uber and Lyft since the end of last year. Welbes told us they encouraged drivers to get their permits before the ordinance actually went into effect in February.

Driver Joel Keleekai, from Blaine, told us he welcomes the permit checks.

“I think it's a very good thing. I think it provides some level of security,” he said. “For us drivers, we have to make sure everyone that comes in here is legit.”

BostonTaxiDriver likes this.
  2. Who's making $40 on a ride to downtown?

rideshareMN and bernynhel like this.
  3. I was going to ask the same.

4. XL and Premier on Uber and XL and Lux on Lyft.

5. 68350

Driving:
    UberX
    Holy crap, that's just insane.

6. Kaal

Kaal

That is the most poorly written "article" I've ever had to read....go internet!

BurgerTiime likes this.
  7. It's a transcript from a local tv news story.

8. Uberbuddy123

Uberbuddy123

12000 drivers and we are worrying about 18 people without permit -talk about overkill

9. fairsailing

fairsailing

Driving:
    Lyft
    They appear to be looking closely at trade dress for drop offs too this week. No problems for me, but I wouldn't pull into departures with someone in the back seat, a mounted cell and no trade dress.

10. TimoH

TimoH

So I just want to drop off passengers and leave without permit only Uber/Lyft decal on front window, am I safe from being fined?

11. YukonDew

YukonDew

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Yes, the permit is required for picking pax up from MSP Terminal 1 & 2. You need not buy a permit if you only drop folks off.

I suggest giving it a few weeks and decide if Ride share is for you. Then if you plan on driving long term it's worthwhile to get yourself a permit. I almost never sit in the queue, but I still see a fair share of request for pickups at the airport. Having that option is a good thing. I occasionally catch an OK surge at MSP from just being in the area. Nice to be able to jump on those.

fairsailing likes this.
  12. Kaal

Kaal

Then it's the crappiest tv news story put together that doesn't really explain anything.

13. Slyster

Slyster

Driving:
    UberX
    Please.. all of you guys remember there are only around 40 of us smart enough to be on this forum out of probably 10,000 Twin City drivers.. Let's be friends and be kind and helpful to each other.... Jesus Christ

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    TimoH likes this.
  14. Not saying it's great journalism, certainly. But it is better with video.

Kaal likes this.
  15. Disgusted Driver

Disgusted Driver

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Snitches get stitches.
    Ant this my friends is why Uber and Lyft will continue to get drivers to ant. There is always someone happy to turn other drivers in to get a little more of the table scraps.

16. TimoH

TimoH

So how your driving so far Slyster? Knowing you started driving not long ago base on tour posts.
    I am new also, just started this week.

17. jiglum

jiglum

Driving:
    UberXL
    XL from the airport to downtown is not paying the drivers $40 even with a tip unless you catch a surge which for an XL might take hours of waiting

18. Select charges the rider $50 from the airport to the convention center. Close to $40 per ride for the driver. There are a few drivers that frequent the airport lot that only do uber select and lyft lux.

19. I waited my turn on Lux/XL on Lyft last night in the lot. Got to #1 but it was just after last flight in 1:50 am and damn got no pax. Everyone got picked up. I kept not accepting Uber hoping my spot in the cue would ring up... Nope... gamble didn't pay off. Happens.

20. jiglum

jiglum

Driving:
    UberXL
    My last Select from MSP to Downtown was $33.00 driver payout and it was further into downtown than Convention Center but either way I guess $33 could be called close to $40.....? My comment above was assuming a $5 tip and XL pays less than Select

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018