1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

At fault accident, not driving for ubereats at the time.

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Jmat10, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Jmat10

Jmat10 New Member

I do UberEats only and was in an at fault accident about 6 months ago.

It was a case of my car hydroplaning and there were no injuries. I was also not on the app with UberEats at the time.

My question is, will my account be deactivated? I just logged on and everything was fine and I could accept rides.

So is this a don't ask don't tell situation? I only do eats and don't do PAX so I'm wondering if it will even matter.

2. Irishjohn831

Irishjohn831 Well-Known Member

Why would your account be deactivated if you were not ticketed, fined, arrested, etc ?

You had an accident off hours and when you day at fault, is that your opinion as my state, NY is a no fault state

3. Jmat10

Jmat10 New Member

I still got a ticket for it.

4. #professoruber

#professoruber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Rule #1: Anything that happens, Uber should be the last to know on or off app. Don’t ever voluntarily give up information. The minute you report an accident, they will likely deactivate you until they investigate.

Rule #2: Understand what Uber looks at in regards to tickets and accidents.

Rule #3: Get an attorney to keep that ticket off your record. This applies being a Uber driver or not.

uberdriverfornow likes this.
  5. AuxCordBoston

AuxCordBoston Well-Known Member

Ticket for what?

6. Mista T

Mista T Well-Known Member

Eventually Uber will do another background check (supposedly), at which time your issue will be brought to their attention, and you will be judged by the great AI program that rules our fates. Until then, they don't know anything.

7. SuzeCB

SuzeCB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    While I agree with this in my heart of hearts, it should be mentioned that drivers are contractually bound to report any and all traffic tickets and accidents, whether or not they occur while on the app.

If you do, they may deactivate you immediately, pending the outcome of the ticket, or their evaluation of whether or not the accident was minor.

If you don't, they may deactivate you for breach of contract once they do the next annual or "random" background check.

You have to decide for yourself what is best for you to do, depending on your own circumstances.

#professoruber likes this.
  8. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow Well-Known Member

The only time you report an accident to a tnc is if the accident happened while the app was on and that's because Uber's insurance is liable.

We are independent contractors. We are under no obligation to give Uber any information about anything if we don't want to.

If the accident shows up on his MVR, will Uber take action when they finally see it ? Maybe, maybe not.

9. SuzeCB

SuzeCB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    If you are driving, you signed the agreement to tell them about ALL "incidents"...
    Screenshot_20180614-183718.png

Mista T likes this.
  10. uberdriverfornow

uberdriverfornow Well-Known Member

First, just because they put in the contract doesn't make it legally required. If they added that we all have to give them a $1 million dollars when we sign up does that mean we have to ?

Second, what do you got for the other 49 states ?

11. #professoruber

#professoruber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Glad I live in the great state of Texas.

12. RoWode12

RoWode12 New Member

Do not tell EVER...unless a pax is in the car. Rip all trade dress off the car before anyone gets there. Turn off the app.

You will be deactivated if you tell. It’s none of their business if you get in an accident with no pax. Report damage to your personal insurance.

13. SuzeCB

SuzeCB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Eh. It would mean they could bar access to the app until the $1M was paid...

And good catch. I was so focused on the meat of the text that I didn't notice it was state-specific. Thank you.

14. SEAL Team 5

SEAL Team 5 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Livery
    Not ALL "incidents", it says to report all new arrest, charges and convictions. OP wasn't arrested, charged or convicted. Rather he was cited for a traffic complaint. Unless the traffic citation has the word criminal you don't have to report it. It's a civil complaint.

During the initial court appearance in a civil complaint the judge ask you how do you plea? A response of guilty or not guilty is not an option the judge allows from the defendant. Your only response is responsible or not responsible.

15. Side Hustle

Side Hustle Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    /\
    This
    100%

16. Mista T

Mista T Well-Known Member

Why would you tell Uber when you do something wrong?

Did they tell you about things they did wrong?

Lies, thefts, lies, data hack, lies... play by their rules. Don't say anything until you are busted.

17. SuzeCB

SuzeCB Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Traffic isn't civil. Civil is a lawsuit. A traffic ticket is a misdemeanor except for the few (dui/dwi) that rise to more firmly criminal. A ticket is "in lieu of arrest". Basically, an arrest where they don't take you into custody because on the criminal scale, it's so low.

18. SEAL Team 5

Driving:
    Livery
    I don't think that you would make a good attorney.

Minor Criminal and Civil Traffic Violations
    Preparing for your Civil Traffic Hearing
    • Hearings are similar to trials, but no Prosecutor is present to represent the state. Instead a Hearing Officer or Judge will question you, the Police Officer and other witnesses to find out what happened.
    • To find you responsible, the Hearing Officer or Judge must listen to the facts presented at your hearing and decide whether it is more probable than not that you committed the traffic violations alleged on your complaint.
    • In a civil traffic hearing, the burden of proof required for a Hearing Officer or Judge to make a finding of responsible is less than at a criminal trial.
    • The Hearing Officer's or Judge's ruling will be based upon the testimony and facts presented at your trial or hearing.

Sentencing

• If you are found "Responsible/Guilty," the Hearing Officer or Judge will state your penalty. This penalty may be different from the amount listed on the Fine Schedule given to you by the Police Officer.

19. Sariandan

Sariandan Member

As uberdriverfornowuberdriverfornow said to SuzeCBSuzeCB , what do you have for the other 49 states?

In the states I have lived, including Arizona, a traffic citation is a "summons" to appear in court. It is given to you in lieu of being arrested and taken to jail. Basically, instead of being taken to jail and waiting to see a judge to set a bond, you skip the intermediate steps and are immediately released on your own recognizance.

Don't you watch Law and Order? Come on...… :p

SuzeCB likes this.
  20. SEAL Team 5

Driving:
    Livery
    I found the correct definition of a CIVIL traffic violation. I don't see the word lawsuit any place in the definition. Maybe you know different. Please share.

1. Civil traffic violations
      Civil traffic violations are violations of traffic law without personal injury or substantial damages. A civil traffic violation is an offense for which the only sentence authorized is a fine. This could include non-moving violations such as a city parking violation. However, generally this is a correctable violation.
      Civil Traffic Violations: Lawyers and At…
      www.trafficviolationlawfirms.com/Civil-Traffic-Viol…

Feedback