At an Uber event speaking with new drivers

UberwhoIaM

I was at a uber event yesterday talking to UBER reps and the majority of Uber partners there that I spoke with were driving less then a month. I asked them if they stay logged on all the time? One guy proudly answered "absolutely I drive around online till I get another ride" I tried to explain how surge works but the mental capacity wasn't there. He also said he thought pool was the worst thing about ride sharing. I then asked him do you accept pools? Again he proudly said yes I accept everything. I told him I never except pools unless doing incentive with acceptance requirements. I even showed him Ubers recent changes to deactivation guidelines concerning acceptance rates. Again couldn't grasp what I was saying. This is the reason Uber can do what they do to us.

Orioles

I was at a uber event yesterday talking to UBER reps and the majority of Uber partners there that I spoke with were driving less then a month. I asked them if they stay logged on all the time? One guy proudly answered "absolutely I drive around online till I get another ride" I tried to explain how surge works but the mental capacity wasn't there. He also said he thought pool was the worst thing about ride sharing. I then asked him do you accept pools? Again he proudly said yes I accept everything. I told him I never except pools unless doing incentive with acceptance requirements. I even showed him Ubers recent changes to deactivation guidelines concerning acceptance rates. Again couldn't grasp what I was saying. This is the reason Uber can do what they do to us.

Were you in Camden yesterday?

Undermensch

It's not the same everywhere.

You could get $0 dollars doing that on a Friday or Saturday night where I live. Sure, you'd get one surge ride at 1:45 AM and the pay/hour would be amazing... But your total for the night would be $35. Drive all night and you make $300-400...

So don't say people that stay online are dumb unless you are specifically talking about someone who drives in the 85 cent/mile zone and a part of it that often surges.

DriverX

You could get $0 dollars doing that on a Friday or Saturday night where I live. Sure, you'd get one surge ride at 1:45 AM and the pay/hour would be amazing... But your total for the night would be $35. Drive all night and you make $300-400...

So don't say people that stay online are dumb unless you are specifically talking about someone who drives in the 85 cent/mile zone and a part of it that often surges.
with all the drivers like you and the fools that go to those meetings, yes your never gonna get a surge. I make $38 an hour net driving surge only and there is very little surge in my market, you just have to know whne, where, and why it surges and be ready to capitalize on it. TOns of post regarding grinding vs. surging and the facts are in. THe more hours you put in, the less you will make. You can't treat this like a 9 to 5 job and expect to haver a stable income. You will always have to be driving longer and longer hours until you refuse and start setting your rate at 2X. Uber won't pay you poeple more unless you demand it. You have a way to demand it with surge only driving. BUt you have to be willing to take the hit on volume and smaller weekly checks with much bigger per hour rewards. If you need to clear a grand a week to make your expenses THIS ISN'T THE JOB FOR YOU. Stop fooling yourself and go get a nine to five because thats what you really want anyway. Or embrace the IC spirit and maximize your hourly earnings while pushing surges higher and forcing higher rates from uber.

Grinders are killing themselves and their cars and stifling their own ability to make more money by taking the sure thing, which will average $10 an hour at the end of the year.

UberwhoIaM

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yes it was about a $0.85 area. Yes this person rarely gets surges and always accepts pools. The area I'm talking about has 14 spots within a 15-mile radius that constantly flare up red through out the day/week when people aren't online the whole time. When it's not red I don't drive and I don't drive pool and I average $400 - $500 a week part time. I've taken the time to study the area that I've driven in and I joined this forum and I listen to advice. When somebody offers me advice that clearly has more experience in a certain situation than me I try and use it to my advantage. The point is if you're a noob at anything and your publicly admitting to other people that there's something wrong because you aren't doing as well as others that do the same thing adjust what you're doing. Isn't that the whole reason why people join forums.

The conversation started when the person mentioned said he averages less then $7.00 per hour gross.

UberwhoIaM

with all the drivers like you and the fools that go to those meetings, yes your never gonna get a surge. I make $38 an hour net driving surge only and there is very little surge in my market, you just have to know whne, where, and why it surges and be ready to capitalize on it. TOns of post regarding grinding vs. surging and the facts are in. THe more hours you put in, the less you will make. You can't treat this like a 9 to 5 job and expect to haver a stable income. You will always have to be driving longer and longer hours until you refuse and start setting your rate at 2X. Uber won't pay you poeple more unless you demand it. You have a way to demand it with surge only driving. BUt you have to be willing to take the hit on volume and smaller weekly checks with much bigger per hour rewards. If you need to clear a grand a week to make your expenses THIS ISN'T THE JOB FOR YOU. Stop fooling yourself and go get a nine to five because thats what you really want anyway. Or embrace the IC spirit and maximize your hourly earnings while pushing surges higher and forcing higher rates from uber.

Grinders are killing themselves and their cars and stifling their own ability to make more money by taking the sure thing, which will average $10 an hour at the end of the year.
Well said!

UberwhoIaM

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

I guess next you're going to say mr. Einstein didn't know what he was talking about.

REX HAVOC

What are Ubers recent changes to deactivation guidelines concerning acceptance rates? I don't remember seeing those posted.

Undermensch

Yes it was about a $0.85 area. Yes this person rarely gets surges and always accepts pools. The area I'm talking about has 14 spots within a 15-mile radius that constantly flare up red through out the day/week when people aren't online the whole time. When it's not red I don't drive and I don't drive pool and I average $400 - $500 a week part time. I've taken the time to study the area that I've driven in and I joined this forum and I listen to advice. When somebody offers me advice that clearly has more experience in a certain situation than me I try and use it to my advantage. The point is if you're a noob at anything and your publicly admitting to other people that there's something wrong because you aren't doing as well as others that do the same thing adjust what you're doing. Isn't that the whole reason why people join forums.

The conversation started when the person mentioned said he averages less then $7.00 per hour gross.
Essentially, I asked you to clarify what area it was about, which you did.

That advice doesn't apply where I am.

UberwhoIaM

What are Ubers recent changes to deactivation guidelines concerning acceptance rates? I don't remember seeing those posted.
Google uber acceptance rate deactivation

On Acceptance Rates:

High acceptance rates are a critical part of reliable, high-quality service, but not accepting trip requests does not lead to permanent deactivation.

Consistently accepting trip requests helps maximize earnings for drivers and keeps the system running smoothly. We know that sometimes things come up that prevent you from accepting every trip request, but not accepting dispatches causes delays and degrades the reliability of the system.

If you are consistently not accepting trip requests, we will notify you that your ability to remain online may be at risk. If your acceptance rate does not improve, you may temporarily be logged out of the app for a limited period of time.

Undermensch

Sorry bro. You haven't seen my earnings. I did $1,400 in 42 hours. Some surge. Net before expenses is $33/hour.

If I drove only surge I'd make $60/hour for two hours on Friday and Saturday night at 2 AM.

Guess you don't know everything about driving in NJ or you'd know where I'm talking about and why it's worth it.

Before I get the same old questions and accusations of not counting dead hours: that includes all hours outside of my house. If it's a one way trip to an area I don't drive it includes the entire dead head back to my area, it includes time waiting for rides, between rides, and driving to rides. It also includes time driving home after a ride in the middle of the day or the end of the night.

That's right: I get paid $32/hour to drive home!

If I counted only ride hours and dead head back to my area hours the hourly rate would be even higher.

Last edited:

UberwhoIaM

Essentially, I asked you to clarify what area it was about, which you did.

That advice doesn't apply where I am.

Ok, I completely understand that. When I drive the shore I also stay online at $1.70. When the surge finally does kick in at the end of the night it's gravy.

The Einstein comment was referring to someone that isn't making money doing the same thing over and over.

Undermensch

Ok, I completely understand that. When I drive the shore I also stay online at $1.70. When the surge finally does kick in at the end of the night it's gravy.

The Einstein comment was referring to someone that isn't making money doing the same thing over and over.
Ok. Makes sense to me :smiles:. I never drive uber in the 85 cent anymore. I used to drive Lyft there but since the rate drop yesterday I'm done with anything other than the shore.

The shore rocks. Took me a long time to learn it well.

Either that or Uber does really throw more and better rides to drivers with 1,000+ rides when there are lots of drivers in an area. I think they might... I really don't believe it's just because of my learning the area.

UberwhoIaM

Ok. Makes sense to me :smiles:. I never drive uber in the 85 cent anymore. I used to drive Lyft there but since the rate drop yesterday I'm done with anything other than the shore.

The shore rocks. Took me a long time to learn it well.

Either that or Uber does really throw more and better rides to drivers with 1,000+ rides when there are lots of drivers in an area. I think they might... I really don't believe it's just because of my learning the area.
I think your correct. I have over 1000 and I will get great rides right after logging on when there are other cars closer that have been online longer. I also have many positive comments from pax. I'm under 4.8 but that's because of the areas I drive and the type of pax. The money is worth the extra 4's.

Going to miss the shore after labor day.