• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Astros and Nats for the series

Another Uber Driver

I am glad that it is not the Yankees. My second favourite team is ALWAYS whoever is playing the Yankees.

Public Service Entry:

According to WTOP, there are going to be watch parties Tuesday and Wednesday at the ballpark. They had a watch party for Game Five of the NLDS. They gave away free hot dogs, peanuts and Coca Colas to any plan holder. It was not that well attended, but, you might get a few requests there. They did not close the streets in front of the park or ban parking for the watch party. I would expect that the watch parties might be better attended this time, as it IS the World Series.

WTOP is calling for an eighty-per-cent chance of rain Tuesday, which might put a damper on attendance at the watch party. It does not mention the hours for rain. Tuesday is still too far ahead to get the hourly forecast on WTOP's website. The series comes to Washington Friday, Saturday and Sunday. the chance of rain on those three days is fluctuating between forty and sixty per-cent. Again, it is still too far ahead to get an hourly forecast. If all three are rained out, I am not sure what MLB will do. Will it delay moving the series back to Houston so that the games scheduled for Washington can be played there? If only one gets rained out, MLB will simply drop the travel day, as it did for the ALCS.

Traffic was worse for the NLDS than a regular season game. It was even worse for the NLCS. Expect it to be REALLY bad for the World Series. Those of you who are going to try to work it might do well to work the fringes. Decline any pings too close to the park, as you will spend inordinate amounts of time getting even to your pick up sweet spots. You might not even be able to position yourself in one, as you can expect that people will park even in the illegal spaces. I never have worked a game in the TNC car. I always did it in the cab, and stayed at the fringes. Except for one time, I always got a street hail. Curb call or Uber Taxi ping close to me.

This concludes this public service entry in this discussion.

Bluecrab

As a Nats fan I think a World Series win over the Yankees would bring more happiness than a win over the Astros. But I was following Yankees v. Astros kinda cheering for Houston as a matter of personal economics. I’ve never been to a World Series game and when the baseball team you back, makes it to their first World Series, you have to go to one of the home games. You just have to, no other option.

Following StubHub ticket prices, the price to gain entry into Nationals Park for game 3, dropped $100 now that the Yankees are out.

Jo3030

I was rooting for a Yankees / Nationals World Series due to the fact that I could assume many more Yankees fans would make the trek down to DC to watch the games especially on weekend. Probably a lot of Yankees fans just visiting as well and going to bars, etc.

Houston? I am not sure how well their fans 'travel' but maybe it may be an increase in IAD / DCA trips? Probably negligible.

Even that is a bad call. Last time, i couldnt even get on M street when i did that.

SOLA-RAH

Where exactly is that? Audi Field and Nando's Peri-Peri are my only points of reference in Nationals Park/Navy Yard
Northside, like Tortilla Coast. A +$12 is worthless if you can’t get to the rider. Get your best sticky, then work your way northbound/eastbound to get pings from a Pennsylvania Ave bar or a Capitol Hill rowhouse.

Another Uber Driver

Responses in the interest of public service:

Just hang in 7-Eleven
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
Even that is a bad call. Last time, i couldnt even get on M street when i did that.

I would avoid even that, even if I were driving the Uber car. I would definitely avoid it in the cab. That parking lot can get crowded, the traffic is difficult and all sorts of people are walking around not looking where they are going or not caring.

If hang out on M Street, you must, go somewhere west of the Registry of Motor Vehicles. Pull onto Delaware Avenue or Third Street, SW. There are more than a few people there looking for rides. Decline all pings until you get one close to you.

Where exactly is that? Audi Field and Nando's Peri-Peri are my only points of reference in Nationals Park/Navy Yard
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^\/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/
Northside, like Tortilla Coast. A +$12 is worthless if you can’t get to the rider. Get your best sticky, then work your way northbound/eastbound to get pings from a Pennsylvania Ave bar or a Capitol Hill rowhouse.
(emphasis added)

Keep in mind the phrase where I added the emphasis. Add to it something from the cab business that no job is worth anything if it is not there when you get there. Yes, you get a three-dollars-seventy-five or four dollar cancellation, or, even five on Lyft, but, if you must sit in traffic for ten to thirty minutes to get it, it is not worth it. I never work these things in the Uber car, I always do it in the cab. I never venture south of I Street. Every time but once, I always have gotten a street hail. In fact, many of them are frustrated Uber/Lyft users. I always ask then what their up front quote was. My meter beats that quote every time.

I do observe more than a few Uber/Lyft users waiting for, or trying to get rides who are north of I Street and west of Delaware Avenue, S.W. Those are the hip riders that you would prefer, anyhow. Most of them migrate to those intersections because they know that they will get a ride far more quickly. Usually, they are still in a surge zone, so, you will get that, as well. Those who are waiting in the traffic on M Street, or the side streets are the drunken, "entitled" types who think that for eleven dollars and change, they own your soul. You do not want those riders, anyhow. Let the ants deal with them. They have ants for a reason.

What @SOLA-RAH posts about the bars or Capitol Hill townhouses is not without merit. In fact, it is something that I do if I work the Ralphing Hours. I avoid the club strips. Instead, I go to the residential areas near those strips. People there still want rides. You might get a few dollars less surge, but, you are not wasting those dollars sitting in traffic. In addition, you actually can find your customer. It all comes out in the wash.

GF and I are going to the watch party to-night. I will try to observe conditions and report back to the posters. If anyone here does work it, we could compare notes. We were at the watch party for Game Five on the NLDS. They did not close any streets, then. This is, however, the World Series. Things might be different this time.

Another Uber Driver

I was joking. The one person who insisted I pick him ip at 7-Eleven got a 1*.
That you actually went to fetch him reveals a kind of fortitude that I have lacked for some time. It must have been quite the surge to get you to cover a ping at that Seven-Eleven in that kind of traffic.

New2This

That you actually went to fetch him reveals a kind of fortitude that I have lacked for some time. It must have been quite the surge to get you to cover a ping at that Seven-Eleven in that kind of traffic.
It was. One of my Nats Park perches isn't far from there. I already knew where he was going because I asked him the destination when I called to see if he'd leave 7-Eleven. Also Surge was dropping so I figured "bird in hand" because I knew ultimately the payout would be decent.

Another Uber Driver

Surge was dropping so I figured "bird in hand" because I knew ultimately the payout would be decent.

I get that; it makes sense.

Public Service contribution:

Unlike for the Game Five watch party, the police did close some streets around and in front of the ball park this time. Last night was well attended. GF and I did not notice that many people who were looking for rides, but, there were a few. We are going to-night, so, I will let you know. Expect it to be more crazy Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

warrior lady

I think it’s going to be crazy good! I got a $18 surge + $3 share adjustment at that watch party let- out and it wasn’t even that crowded. Pax said it was only half full. This means good things for World Series but also a Shiite storm getting around. Gotta have good perches and strategies.
Post automatically merged:

FYI- The college kids call it Halloweekend and there are 2 of them.. this weekend and weekend after Halloween.

Last edited: