1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership.

Assigned lawyer from Uber for EWR tickets

Discussion in 'New Jersey' started by NJDriver, Sep 5, 2015.

1. NJDriver

NJDriver

As many people might know I got swept up in the raids on drivers by the Port Authority police. I was given 3 tickets in addition to my no standing ticket earned hours earlier. So looks like everything is in motion and nothing new to report until after the court date.

Looking back at old threads from 2014 it looks like the PA police at EWR along with the Newark city police have been at this for quite a long time. They are looking for you at the airport and they know what to look for. Mainly guys with regular plates, but I am now hearing TLC plated vehicles too which my TLC buddy says is not true.

This attorney I have confirmed has been at this since they started ticketing Uber drivers in 2014. So this guy has a lot of experience and is no stranger to that court room.

2. Tony from New Jersey

Tony from New Jersey

Driving:
    UberX
    Correct, he will try to negotiate a cheeper deal for uber, your benefit would be incidental.

3. Igor.V.F

Igor.V.F

It's probably going to be a lady, her name is Courtney - really nice gal! Good luck on your court date. Quick tip - bring cash (or credit/debit card) with you, they usually require to pay right away.

4. ShiftySheik

ShiftySheik

Would like to hear what the lawyer has to say about TLC vehicles and cops at EWR. If you get a chance please ask. Always worried when I pickup a private client at EWR. This old article says Terminal A is illegal for TLC. http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2015/02/terminal_turmoil_staten_island.html

5. NJDriver

NJDriver

I can tell you right now of whats going on at EWR. My experience is being pulled over 5 times by the Port Authority police. Basically, if you pull into the airport and see cops at Terminal A most likely when you get to the gold mine we call Terminal C there will be cops there too.

The arrival areas or the first level of Terminal C is the most likely area to encounter cops. The departure areas or 2nd and 3rd level C are a lot less likely although Ive seen cops there in the past on occasion. Many experienced Uber passengers know to go to the departure areas to get picked up. Tell your client to go to the departure area to get picked up.

The cops have a year or more experience with Uber. They are very smart, very observant and can spot you a mile away. They do change up their tactics often and adapt to any trick you can come up with. They do change up their schedule. One time I saw them arrive at Terminal C at 7am and the next day it was 6am. Sometimes they are out there with high viz jackets for you to see and other times they hide and jump you. The Newark city police detectives sometimes come down to pull their own operations independent of the PA police. That guy tends to wear an external body armor and looks like a punk driving in a smoked out Lincoln Town Car.

You are safer if you drop off than if you pick up, but they will stop you if you drop in front of them. Just remember if you see the cop they can see you. Absolutely do not pick up or drop off if you can see a cop or the cop car. If you absolutely must drop with a cop in the terminal get way past them and drop and do it quickly.

The cops tend to be out in large force from 12pm to 12am. Ive seen them really lock things down with 5 cops and a cop car at each terminal in the arrivals area checking each and every car that does a pickup. When I got my tickets they didnt ask me or my passengers. They just started writing.

I have given up and now pursuing the TLC plates. The airport is a gold mine if you know how to work it and playing cat and mouse with the PA cops is a waste of time. PA cops respect those plates and will only write you for no standing 54 dollars. Newark city detective writes everyone up who doesnt have city permit but that guy is rarely at the airport.

If you are hanging in the terminal and see the cop in the distance coming toward you on foot or in a car leave now. The moment they get within shouting distance you are done. Pull out slowly and obey traffic rules with signals and such. Always be alert in the terminal. Head up, radio off and scanning around you.

My best advice is for you to park in short term parking which is 4 dollars for 15 minutes. Walk into the terminal and walk them back to the car. That is the safest way to do it.

To Uber at the airport daily you have to be brave and know how to handle yourself around the police. Ive been stopped a few dozen times in my lifetime and so Im used to the routine. So its not if but when you will get stopped at the airport. Its not if but when you will deal with the police. Make sure all your paperwork is straight and present. Drive like you have a driving instructor in the car. Uber has good lawyers so you do have protection.

Finally, the cops of the Port Authority are probably the biggest *******s around out of all the NJ or NY cops you have encountered. They rarely give breaks or warnings. Some of the older cops who have been on the job a while might give you a nasty speech along with a scowl followed by a warning or a cheap obscure plates ticket. Feel lucky when you get the older cop. However, you WILL always end up with multiple-tickets in your hand when the PA cop looks like they just got out of college. They have very specific training on how to deal with you. First, license, reg and insurance. Second, questions that you dont have to answer. Tell them you dont want to answer questions. Third, tickets in the hand. Fourth, do you have any questions.

Also, the PA Cops are now coming up with an officer on both sides of the car therefore sweating you. They are now treating everyone like a violent criminal. So, especially dont move with these guys. Dont make any fast moves at all and have your paperwork in a very easily accessible place like your cup holder all ready to go. Lower all the windows in the car, make it easy for them to see you.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    Nagodesi likes this.
  6. Has anyone tried parking on Level 4 and taking your phone with you into baggage claim to do a pick up? Will cost you $4 to $8 to park but will get you the first ride and be safe from tickets? I'm legal with commercial plates but still thinking of trying it because I hate sitting outside in C

7. NJDriver

NJDriver

First study when the flights come in on flightstats.com. It usually takes them 10 to 15 minutes to deplane. Short term parking is 4 dollars every 15 minutes. So if you do this you want to time it perfectly to avoid costs.

Another issue is where the app places you on the map. Look where they place your car on the map.

I did try this where I parked on 2nd level and hung out on the 1st level of C. I found myself waiting for a half hour and sometimes the passengers were on the departure levels. I do know others try it because I see an Uber car on the passenger app but no car meaning the Uber driver is on foot.

mazen likes this.
  8. cooldude

cooldude

you will almost never find cops on level 1 of terminal A. if you are picking up from terminal A ask your passenger to get down to level 1. its kinda tricky to get into it driving too, u need to follow the sign to short term parking to find yourself on it. but its completely safe to pick up from it, unlike when you pick up from departure levels, you become an easy target to spot by cops if there are any.

9. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile

Driving:
    Taxi
    So you guys all know it's illegal yet you discuss ways to not get caught.
    Fascinating!
    I have what they call a "street cab" in Charlotte.
    Totally legal for everything except the Airport cab queue.
    I could likely get away with scooping, since my company both has part of the airport franchise and tons of contract work landing right and left.
    Unless I have a legit job at CLT I don't try to pick up there.
    Gonna fall on deaf ears.

Uber on.

10. NJDriver

NJDriver

Im going to get NY TLC plates which will avoid the attention of the PA PD but not the Newark city detectives.

Its amazing the resources they have deployed and amazing the amount of tickets issued, but yet we all come back to the airport. The reason is it just takes a few airport pickups to make it worthwhile. One pickup alone can be worth over 100 dollars. In Hoboken it takes a 12 hour day to make 300 and 25+ rides, but at EWR it might take you 5 pickups.

I kind of wonder what about terrorists and real crime at the airport? While they are looking out for Uber drivers they let other criminal types slip by and all it takes is one slip...

11. pickmeup

pickmeup

PAPD appear to be stopping TLC. Was there last night and saw a whole bunch at termina c get stopped.

jaymaxx44 likes this.
  12. NJDriver

NJDriver

Anyone, including TLC, can get the 54 dollar no standing ticket which is a parking ticket. If they see you stopped even for a moment they dont have to provide a warning. In the past they would give you a warning but Im hearing they dont give you one now.

13. jaymaxx44

jaymaxx44

Driving:
    Lyft
    TLC are getting more than 1 ticket for standing. I've seen multiple tickets getting issued at a time all week. It's actually been kind of a relief because there not harassing us "X" drivers as much while they concentrate on them for now.

14. NJDriver

NJDriver

The cops of the Port Authority are probably the biggest *******s around out of all the NJ or NY cops you have encountered. They rarely give breaks or warnings and you can expect a ticket in your hand at the end of any encounter. Some of the older cops who have been on the job a while might give you a nasty speech along with a scowl followed by a warning or a cheap obscure plates ticket. Feel lucky when you get the older cop who gives you that nasty look and demeaning warning. However, you WILL always end up with multiple-tickets in your hand when the PA cop looks like they just got out of college. They have very specific training on how to deal with you. First, license, reg and insurance. Second, questions that you dont have to answer. Tell them you dont want to answer questions. They will try to get you to admit you are Uber. You have every right to stay silent when the questions go beyond the usual routine. "Im sorry but I dont want to answer questions." Of course, hand them your required paperwork and they can figure out who you are. I once tried that routine with a Suffolk County cop when he pulled me over for speeding. I told him I didnt want to answer questions in a nice voice and smile. He went away and came back with my ticket. Are you here for Uber? Sorry I dont want to answer questions. Who are you here to pickup? Sorry I dont want to answer questions. Can I search your vehicle? No. etc...no crime in being at the airport circling around and only crime in standing is $54. Third, tickets in the hand...from theirs to yours. Fourth, do you have any questions. Nope, dont ask questions. Say no and drive away like you are grandma and as if the DMV driving instructor is in the right seat meaning very carefully so they wont decide you need to get stopped a second time.

Now lets say you get the brilliant idea in your mind to answer questions. "Who are you here to pickup?" "My buddy Ralph" "So what is Ralphs flight number? What time does he get in? From where? Whats Ralphs last name...etc" If you answer a question the cop is trained to ask more questions which you cant answer and you end up looking foolish/guilty as you try to respond. Actually that's no true, they will not just ask questions, but pepper you with more questions quickly. Just hand him your license, reg and insurance and stay silent. When asked questions tell them you don't want to answer them. You are under no obligation to answer questions. They cant impound your car or arrest you for you lack of participation during the question/answer session. In order for them to impound your car they have to have cause, to search your car they must have your permission which they will try to get...either that or they see some contraband in your car and we all know not to Uber with contraband... There is no crime for circling around the airport and the only crime you committed for standing at the Terminal is a 54 dollar parking violation. So, do not answer questions. Stay silent. That's your right.

Also, the PA Cops are now coming up with an officer on both sides of the car thereby sweating you. They are now treating everyone like a violent criminal. So, especially dont move with these guys. Dont make any fast moves at all and have your paperwork in a very easily accessible place like your cup holder all ready to go. Lower all the windows in the car, make it easy for them to see you. Look straight forward with both hands on the wheel and stay in that pose until its over. Dont look over at the cops partner. You will see them in your peripheral vision. Always smile when dealing with the officer and act like he is your buddy. Helps to be friendly to defuse the encounter...the encounter which they are trying to escalate with their horribly unfriendly demeanor.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
  15. jaymaxx44

jaymaxx44

Driving:
    Lyft
    Agree 100% that's the right way to deal with the PA jerkoffs.

gmc likes this.
  16. Bklyn77

Bklyn77

Driving:
    UberX
    So what happened with the tickets?? How much did u have to pay

17. NJDriver

NJDriver

They are still in the process of getting a court date assigned. I have not received any notice. Ultimately, Uber pays for the tickets and the only thing I lose is my time going to the court and talking about it on this forum. Basically, Uber's attorney tries to get a better deal than the face value of the tickets or he figures out a way to get it dismissed. This particular attorney has been used by Uber for over a year and is constantly in the court and has been mentioned here in this forum in the past. Some drivers on the forum seem to know both the attorney and the legal aid at this law office...they are that familiar with him. One guy in the forum said he would even hire the guy privately if he had to as he is that good in these traffic courts. He should be with all the experience Uber is giving him. Driver pays the court and Uber reimburses them on the next invoice through direct deposit.

My advice in this forum is to behave as well as you can during the ticket writing process so the cops wont hurt your or find other ways to make your life horrible. Make sure to have your paperwork ready to present. Its only a ticket and nothing more. Take your ticket like a man and eventually Uber will pay for it when all is said and done. It wont kill you.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  18. Dan L

Dan L

Driving:
    UberX
    This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. How do they even know you are an Uber driver? Are they following you on the rider app? If not, then how? And what about regular people picking up or dropping off people at the airport? They ticketing them too for no reason? How are people supposed to get home?!

This is all one big reason why I won't do the airport when I start.

19. NJDriver

NJDriver

Its called profiling and they do it with Black and Brown people all the time. While I got my ticket 4 Black guys were getting pulled over behind me. The PAPD are known racists. Next time I pickup for Uber will be with my TLC plates and livery company stickers, but I wont be working for a livery. Ill be making 300 to 400 a day while you Uber Hoboken.

20. Tony from New Jersey

Tony from New Jersey

Driving:
    UberX
    How would you make 300-400 a day with TLC plates? Please give us little more details.

Why so many TLC plates at EWR does not get follow this idea?