Assaulted by Lyft Premier "passengers"

UberGuy2k18

Not the highlight of my rideshare experience, but I got a request for a Premier ride during the weekend of the concert at the Hard Rock Stadium, which came out of North Miami. I got to the pickup location and two black males approached the car, one saying my name. I roll the window down to confirm and unlock the doors, and one guy opens the back door to go in, and the other opens the driver door and starts assaulting me and tried to pull me out. Luckily, my seat belt kept me in, and I was able to eventually drive off. I called the police, then Lyft.

I don't know what the policy is for Uber, but Lyft WILL NOT cover any medical expenses, car damage, or lost wages. My hospital bill will be over $4,000 with the scans to ensure nothing was broken and that I had no hemmoraging. I do have insurance, but will have to first pay the $2,500 deductible.

I can't work my day job in this condition, and I don't feel comfortable doing rideshare like this, either, at least til I'm healed.

Hands down the most expensive and one of the worst days of my life. You would think we'd have some kind of compensation at least for hospital bills in an assault/attempted robbery/attempted car jacking while on the job, but nope. I'm living proof that we're on our own.

Lyft prohibits us to carry a firearm also, but the cops told me that I should definitely carry. What if those guys had a weapon? I'd be dead right now. Better a criminal than the guy trying to make an honest living, at least IMO.

The cops also told me two similar stories on the past two weeks that happened in Miami:
1. One driver was beaten to a pulp and left on the road, and the assailants stole his car. It was found totally bleached to eliminate any DNA.

2. Another driver shot an assailant 4x.

jgiun1

Not the highlight of my rideshare experience, but I got a request for a Premier ride during the weekend of the concert at the Hard Rock Stadium, which came out of North Miami. I got to the pickup location and two black males approached the car, one saying my name. I roll the window down to confirm and unlock the doors, and one guy opens the back door to go in, and the other opens the driver door and starts assaulting me and tried to pull me out. Luckily, my seat belt kept me in, and I was able to eventually drive off. I called the police, then Lyft.

I don't know what the policy is for Uber, but Lyft WILL NOT cover any medical expenses, car damage, or lost wages. My hospital bill will be over $4,000 with the scans to ensure nothing was broken and that I had no hemmoraging. I do have insurance, but will have to first pay the $2,500 deductible.

I can't work my day job in this condition, and I don't feel comfortable doing rideshare like this, either, at least til I'm healed.

Hands down the most expensive and one of the worst days of my life. You would think we'd have some kind of compensation at least for hospital bills in an assault/attempted robbery/attempted car jacking while on the job, but nope. I'm living proof that we're on our own.

Lyft prohibits us to carry a firearm also, but the cops told me that I should definitely carry. What if those guys had a weapon? I'd be dead right now. Better a criminal than the guy trying to make an honest living, at least IMO.

The cops also told me two similar stories on the past two weeks that happened in Miami:
1. One driver was beaten to a pulp and left on the road, and the assailants stole his car. It was found totally bleached to eliminate any DNA.

Crazy story....glad you lived through it

Eugene73

glad to hear you are A OK bro

2 lessons to learn here:
1) stay the f* out of ghetto Miami Gardens (or any parts of North Miami, Opa Locka, Little Havana,western hallandale/hollywood) like Axel Rose said "you're in the jungle baby you're gonna die"
2) run your Uber as a small business. create an LLC and you are the employee of it. pay a few pesos into social security, state unemployment fund, workers comp, and rideshare insurance, because you might need it one day

Last edited:

Cableguynoe

Sounds from your story like having a weapon would not have helped you much.
You did what we all do, open the door to let our pax in.
If they want to get us, they will.

Glad you're ok.

And yea, I don't think anyone here is too shocked to hear that you're pretty much on your own dealing this.

We're like hookers with a pimp that will claim he doesn't know us if something goes down.

Cklw

And I can pretty much say the pax account was stolen. So unless you got good dash cam footage, not sure what is going to happen on legal end.

YouEvenLyftBruh

These are kind of dangerous risks we take every day.

We are literally putting our lives on the line, driving the dregs of society.

...as if that wasn't enough, this pumpkin faced munchkin is in the charge of the police in your county:

what could go wrong?

Lyft doesn't legally, right now, HAVE to do anything, but damn, it would be so nice if a company just did what was right for a change, instead of what their lawyers tell them....

curious though, if your seat-belt kept you in your car, why would you go to ER for some kind of scan? Did they punch you?

Last edited:

SEAL Team 5

I did a little research to find out who was playing. It was a hard core rap group called Chxpo. With songs titled Choppa Bullets and Price on His Head I would conclude those songs are about gun violence. I have no clue who this group is, however to me, their name Chxpo looks like Chicago police being X'ed out.

Fare for hire is common sense. You don't swim in shark infested waters, you don't go to the Middle East chanting USA USA USA and you don't pick up concert goers that attend venues with violence encouraging rap songs.

Mole

Most states have a fund you can get money from if your a crime victim my county gigs up to $1,500 for such a event you should find out if your state or county has such a fund.

SEAL Team 5

the cops told me that I should definitely carry.

Are you sure $.70/mile is worth it in Miami? If a law officer told me "you should definitely carry" then that statement right there is enough for me to look elsewhere for revenue. And I'm very proficient with a side arm.

UberGuy2k18

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
These were local boys and definitely not a part of the concert crowd. It just so happened that the Hard Rock Stadium is in a rough neighborhood, and it didn't occur to me that this would happen. I assumed pax would be just another concert goer.

I had lots of pax that were in town for it prior to this trip from hell.. nothing alarming.

Just beware of that area. Calling Uber and Lyft to attempt a car jacking seems like the new norm out of North Miami.

Most states have a fund you can get money from if your a crime victim my county gigs up to $1,500 for such a event you should find out if your state or county has such a fund.
I'll definitely look I to this. Thanks!

tohunt4me

This " job" isnt worth the lack of respect shown by uber or the low pay.

Wow, glad you're ok. What type of venue was it? Rock, jazz, opera, rap etc?
Gangsta Opra !

Attachments

JimKE

...as if that wasn't enough, this pumpkin faced munchkin is in the charge of the police in your county:

what could go wrong?
Sheriff Israel is a laughingstock -- but he's NOT our laughingstock. He's the sheriff of Broward County, the county to our north where Ft. Lauderdale is.

Depending on exactly where OP was assaulted, the police agency could have been Miami PD, North Miami PD, or Miami-Dade PD (our county police department). Miami and North Miami are better than BSO and Miami-Dade is vastly better.

JimKE

They occasionally pay to save face, start a gofund me page and get the media involved.
Good idea. OP, you should also post a similar thread on the Miami city forum just to let other drivers know. They're apparently targeting Lyft.

Snooperjuke

You need to get the media involved or threaten Lyft that if they don't promise to pay your deductible that you will go to the media. Last thing Lyft wants is more bad publicity. Think of it this way, they can either buy you off for $2500 or have a media hit on them that could cost them $25k in bad publicity.

Julescase

Jesus Christ! I'm so sorry you had to go through this hell. What low-life, piece of shit losers pull this kind of thuggery? People like this need bullets to the knee cap and/or brain - preferably knee caps to incapacitate them, then force them to deal with what they did.

Horrible, atrocious people like this are the dregs of society and whoever raised them should be ashamed of themselves and their crappy spawn.