• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Assaulted by "friend" of canceled Rider

GuidoLand

So tonight I pick up 4 drunk law school students from Venue 500 in SF. I dropped them off at Hastings law school. One of the drunk girls remembers suddenly that she left her coat at the place so she convinces the guy who was with us to ping me again so that she could ride back with me to get her coat. The guy and the other two girls got out, and the one woman with the forgotten coat and I drive off back to Venue 500.

After about two blocks her "friend", the guy who I had already dropped off, cancels the ride. So now I'm driving her for free. She says she will pay me cash when I get there. I say o.k. reluctantly, I will take $10. She says how about $7, I say fine. We get to Venue 500 and she tells me she has no money but another friend will pay me and tells me to wait two minutes. So, out comes this guy who thinks he's Mr. Bad Ass and says to me, "I here you are trying to hustle my friend out of some money." After more insults and him leaning through my window, I told him to get the "f" away from my car and that I wanted to leave.

This drove him out of his mind. He slammed my door which he had opened for no reason, which is why I felt threatened. Then he kicked my car so hard I thought that there had to be a dent the size of Texas in the door. So I got out to check the dent, and the guy tried to sucker punch me. Fortunately I have 15 years of martial arts experience and instinctively ducked 90% of the punch. He just got my ear. He knocked my glasses to the ground. Fortunately they are fine as is my car I think. I guess the new cars must be built to withstand large side impacts without damage.

The bouncer told me to call the police. As soon as I started dialing the guy ran away on foot in his black tux down 16th street. The police showed up 15 minutes later and questioned me thoroughly and seemed to begin an investigation as I was leaving. I think I have a slight concussion from the blow but not serious. Luckily I ducked it. This guy was no pip squeak. I wrote an note to Uber and with in 10 minutes I got a call from a guy at Uber, and he seemed genuinely concerned. I hope they find this guy. What I really hope is that there was a security camera that got the whole thing on video. So, everyone, be careful out there. This is not the safest of jobs.

Huberis

The account holder needs to be in the car. Considering you don't have commercial insurance and licensing, no meter....... running off app is just not possible. In my taxi, in such a situation, I would be inclined to ask for money up front given the circumstances. If she owed me less than what the meter read, she would owe me change, if she made an issue about cash up front, I would offer to write her a receipt.

Even if you could run off app, you have all the warning signs for trouble, once you hear an attempt at haggling for price, your goose is cooked.

You should never have gotten out of the car, the doors should have been locked. The car protects you. I had a guy once swing into my window once. I just kept the doors locked with the car in reverse shut that when his fist wound up near the windshield inside the car, I took my foot off the break and that slow roll backwards with his hand up there took him down. It would have been smarter for me to have the window rolled up I suppose, but when such BS happens, you are only think clearly to a certain degree and that is it. This particular event took place outside the campus police station where I had driven them, which they were unaware of. Quick trip to detention for them.

Take a deep breath, let a few days pass and then come up with some ideas as to how you can take better control of your car. In Uberland, if your pax isn't the one with the account......... by all measures of common sense and policy, the ride is done there. good luck.

limepro

I'm surprised after 10 years of Martial arts you didn't have muscle memory to swing back. I have been in similar situations and once I have the need or feeling of having to flinch, or dodge anything a swing happens in quick succession sometimes without me even intending to.

I have even had it happen in my sleep while having a threatening dream, I was almost able to stop the punch before it landed, that wasn't a fun night.

Uber Kraus

Taking rides off meter with a stranger is basically the dumbest thing you can do. If you get into an accident and your passenger is injured somehow who do you think is going to pay their medical bills? You! That same girl who negotiated three dollars off of her fare is definitely going to sue you after she has some sort of spinal injury. Just imagine paying off somebody's medical expenses for the next 10 to 20 years all for seven dollars. Given the circumstances and the possibilities of what could have happened you made out pretty well just getting your door kicked. This is a good lesson that you learned and take this not so much as criticism but an informative post.

marinite1010

I was picked up by a supposed Uber driver at SFO. 30 minutes into the ride, he announced that he had picked me up by mistake (because his customer had cancelled). He demanded that I pay him cash. When I refused, he wouldn't let me out and wouldn't give me my luggage. He eventually grabbed $40 from my hand and left with my luggage, after grabbing my phone and taking the luggage from me. When I called the driver who had responded to my order, he claimed he didn't know anything about it and was not working that day. How can this happen? And why won't Uber respond to me? This is giving Uber a bad name, and hurting honorable drivers. Help please.

Nemo

So tonight I pick up 4 drunk law school students from Venue 500 in SF. I dropped them off at Hastings law school. One of the drunk girls remembers suddenly that she left her coat at the place so she convinces the guy who was with us to ping me again so that she could ride back with me to get her coat. The guy and the other two girls got out, and the one woman with the forgotten coat and I drive off back to Venue 500.

After about two blocks her "friend", the guy who I had already dropped off, cancels the ride. So now I'm driving her for free. She says she will pay me cash when I get there. I say o.k. reluctantly, I will take $10. She says how about $7, I say fine. We get to Venue 500 and she tells me she has no money but another friend will pay me and tells me to wait two minutes. So, out comes this guy who thinks he's Mr. Bad Ass and says to me, "I here you are trying to hustle my friend out of some money." After more insults and him leaning through my window, I told him to get the "f" away from my car and that I wanted to leave.

This drove him out of his mind. He slammed my door which he had opened for no reason, which is why I felt threatened. Then he kicked my car so hard I thought that there had to be a dent the size of Texas in the door. So I got out to check the dent, and the guy tried to sucker punch me. Fortunately I have 15 years of martial arts experience and instinctively ducked 90% of the punch. He just got my ear. He knocked my glasses to the ground. Fortunately they are fine as is my car I think. I guess the new cars must be built to withstand large side impacts without damage.

The bouncer told me to call the police. As soon as I started dialing the guy ran away on foot in his black tux down 16th street. The police showed up 15 minutes later and questioned me thoroughly and seemed to begin an investigation as I was leaving. I think I have a slight concussion from the blow but not serious. Luckily I ducked it. This guy was no pip squeak. I wrote an note to Uber and with in 10 minutes I got a call from a guy at Uber, and he seemed genuinely concerned. I hope they find this guy. What I really hope is that there was a security camera that got the whole thing on video. So, everyone, be careful out there. This is not the safest of jobs.
15 years of martial arts gone to waste. glad you ok though.

KGB7

Its only as safe as you let it be. Once you lower your guard down, pax will walk over you.

I keep it simple by treating all pax with professionalism. But, under that mask, i silently treat you as if you going to screw me over one way or another. I fake my smile as i keep my guard up.

Last edited:

KGB7

15 years of martial arts gone to waste.
/facepalm

http://www.martialartcentral.com/M.a.c/Articles/11.htm

Everybody who trains in the martial arts should be aware of court rulings and certain laws that might affect their actions. There are not many simple, clear-cut rights as you may think. Depending on the state or country that you reside, using your martial arts skills may lead to an arrest, or a costly and complicated lawsuit. There are legal consequences in defending yourself. Remember this; in a court of law, it is assumed that you are aware of the legal limits of your actions. There's a common legal saying, "Ignorance of the Law is No Defense."

When a martial artist, especially a Black Belt is accused of excessive force in self-defense, the standard is usually higher than that of a novice practitioner, a non- martial artist, and a reasonable or prudent person. Many courts believe that it is only fair that one with unique skills is held to a unique standard.

D Town

A SERIES of horrible decisions that almost landed you in the hospital.

1. Knowingly took a pax who wasn't the account holder. (Low level. Most of us have done this at some point)
2. KEPT driving the pax after the account holder canceled. (No excuse.)
3. DIDN'T get the cash up front. (No excuse.)
4. For some bizarre, other worldly reason you BELIEVED the pax would come back out with money after she already lied to you about paying you a damn thing to begin with and decided to wait for her. (...I can't even begin to express how foolish this was...)
5. As soon as some goon came out and started acting a fool you stayed there and jawed back instead of just driving away. (...just keeps getting sillier...)
6. You got OUT of your protective metal box after said goon demonstrated his propensity for violence by striking your vehicle. I mean what the hell did you expect to happen?

And if you ducked 90% of the punch and all he did was knock off your glasses which also didn't break how did you end up with a possible concussion? Just curious.

A mistake or three is forgivable when you're new and learning but the series of mistakes YOU made makes me question your judgement in general. You need to find other employment before you seriously straight up die. That is not a joke or me being a smart ass. You need to stop.

Last edited:

Realityshark

I was picked up by a supposed Uber driver at SFO
You got scammed and robbed. You got into a car without making sure it was the correct driver. You didn't asks his name. You hopped into a car claiming it was Uber. You are upset because Uber doesn't care? Take some responsibility. You're lucky you weren't killed and your internal organs sold off on the black market. How is your story not your fault?

limepro

/facepalm

http://www.martialartcentral.com/M.a.c/Articles/11.htm

Everybody who trains in the martial arts should be aware of court rulings and certain laws that might affect their actions. There are not many simple, clear-cut rights as you may think. Depending on the state or country that you reside, using your martial arts skills may lead to an arrest, or a costly and complicated lawsuit. There are legal consequences in defending yourself. Remember this; in a court of law, it is assumed that you are aware of the legal limits of your actions. There's a common legal saying, "Ignorance of the Law is No Defense."

When a martial artist, especially a Black Belt is accused of excessive force in self-defense, the standard is usually higher than that of a novice practitioner, a non- martial artist, and a reasonable or prudent person. Many courts believe that it is only fair that one with unique skills is held to a unique standard.
Knowing when to stop is the key, once they are defenseless you walk away, if they instigated the fight they would be the one to get in trouble. If you stomp on someone while down unless they are armed then you are in the wrong.