1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

As you burn through gallons and gallons of gas...

Discussion in 'Advice' started by LyftNewbie10, Jul 12, 2018.

1. LyftNewbie10

LyftNewbie10

Keep an eye on your motor oil. I really say this as advice to myself.

I haven't done this much driving for a job (e.g. I'm used to a 20 mile trip (x2) to Boeing) or have had a job that was literally all driving. I noticed my trusty chariot wasn't behaving like itself and noticed it was dangerously low on oil. It's a good way to ruin the engine. :(

upload_2018-7-12_4-26-53.jpeg

MadTownUberD and mikes424 like this.
  2. UberBeemer

UberBeemer Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    I suggest you get into a weekly routine. Check the oil, coolant, washer fluid, and tire pressure, say, every Saturday morning. A lot of newer cars have TPM systems but often only warn you when the tire pressure is quite a bit below normal. This will speed up the wear on the tires due to increased friction heat, and it lowers your MPG.

3. There's a reason they are called "idiot lights".

drive4lyft69 likes this.
  4. Zebonkey

Zebonkey

Driving:
    UberSUV
    This is some eye opening stuff here.

5. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    Remember when they used to check the oil as your gas tank filled? Washed the windows, too.

Then they stopped washing, but left the sqeegee and bucket of washing solution out if you wanted to do it yourself.

Now, not even that. ::sigh::

6. Gilby

Gilby

Driving:
    UberX
    All of the service stations around here, and on recent trips through neighboring states, have a squeegee and washing fluid at each pump. I seem to recall that New Jersey does not allow self-serve filling stations. So, all they do is pump the gas? Nothing more?

SuzeCB likes this.
  7. UberBeemer

UberBeemer Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Yeah, the gas was under $1/gallon, and they gave trading stamps too... but I was like, 8...

My SSEi would tell you the pressure in each tire, but you had to tap a button a few times to get to the display, and the chime didn't ring unless it was way low.

On my current car, you have to scroll through a menu, and it shows icons in green or red, but until it gets critical no alarm. But once the alarm sounds, the display of a red tire won't go away until you correct it.

8. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    Yep.

9. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    You must be very young! ;)

Checking the oil was a scam at many places. They'd tell you you were low when you weren't to sell you some.

And I get that they don't want to wash the windows for you, but having the bucket and squeegee available for drivers to use really isn't that difficult, taxing on the attendants, or expensive. And if the driver gets out of the car to wash windows, they're more likely to purchase some gum, mints, cigarettes, or something to drink if there's a little mini store there.

10. DentonLyfter

DentonLyfter

Driving:
    Lyft
    They had CARS when you were 8?

11. mrpjfresh

mrpjfresh

Driving:
    UberX
    I'm seriously considering just getting my own squeegee to keep in my trunk. The only place I even trust to use it is where I get gas, at Sam's Club, where they actually change the fluid and empty the trash frequently. Even still, I'll wipe the rubber end with a paper towel beforehand and it always comes out dirty until at least the third pass. I've been to gas stations where the squeegee even smells like vomit, probably from a rideshare driver cleaning up after a pax. Anything that is communal from water fountains to toilets to squeegees is better to only use if absolutely necessary in my book. As rideshare drivers, we know that it always comes down to the lowest common denominator of cad with no care for the rest of the group.

12. UberBeemer

UberBeemer Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Yes. Great big glorious ones with massive V8 engines... I grew up in the salad days of the muscle car era. Mom's Kingswood Estate Wagon had a 454 with a quad carb and dual exhaust...

13. merryon2nd

merryon2nd

Driving:
    UberXL
    ...Level and pressure checks should be being done regularly regardless of miles driven. Even more so in older cars that are being frequently neat on. I have all my cars on a weekly schedule. It's why I've never had a car that needed major repair before its 200k mark. Unless it was touched by my husband. He's a car serial killer... :(

I'm still pretty young, but I grew up in this culture. Had less trouble with my muscle babies than I ever did with anything built now. It's always amazing when the whole ground shakes when the crank first turns over, and how windows rattle when they go W.O.T and all barrels open wide in the fuel dump.

14. UberBeemer

UberBeemer Moderator

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    You are making me all nostalgic for my last '70s land yacht. '76 50th Anniversary Edition Pontiac Grand Prix LJ. 455 with a Rochester Quadrajet, Edelbrock manifold, MSD ignition, and true dual exhaust. I retrofitted a 700 R4 trans, and it had a posi rear. It was a beast.

This link is to the factory brochure photo
    https://goo.gl/images/ylftHO

15. oldfart

oldfart

Driving:
    UberXL
    when I was 16 my dad had one of these and I remember buying gas at 25 cents a gal

download (3).jpg

UberBeemer likes this.
  16. Coachman

Coachman

Driving:
    UberX
    Back in the 60s and 70s the gas stations didn't have mini stores. They had a little area inside with a soda machine and a cigarette machine.

17. SuzeCB

SuzeCB

Driving:
    UberX
    Some by me had that. Others had shelves with just a few things in the little shelter in the middle of the pumps.

18. Christinebitg

Christinebitg

Driving:
    UberX
    Heck, I remember a job I had in Kentucky where the cigarettes in the machine in the lunchroom were 35 cents a pack.

C

19. johnny five

johnny five

Driving:
    UberX
    those were the times, and if we want to see it again, all we need to do is, start doing it on individual basic, I think is up to us...

Hi, today is my first day in the forum, and my main reason to come was my need for uber tips, I have been driving for uber for about 3 weeks and some times I want to go off line, I can move the button to off but the app stays on line and they keeps sending me pins, and that forces me to cancel when I should be just offline, and it is happening once and sometimes twice a day, I don't know what else to do, I even turn the cell on and off, and on and uber is still online, please advise.

20. merryon2nd

merryon2nd

Driving:
    UberXL
    Johnny, honestly, I would try a reinstall. Sometimes that just happens though. Three years later, there are still times when I'll already be offline (4am) and somehow the bloody thing has TURNED ITSELF BACK ON and I get woke up by a stupid ride request. TECHNOLOGY company. lmao So SO glitchy.

Beemer, OF, those. Those are glorious machines. *sigh* lol