• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

As a former Uber Email Support Agent, I want to know...

Ok, so I posted a thread letting everyone know that I just quit my position as a CSR agent yesterday and asked if anyone wanted to ask me any questions. I tried my best to answer all questions, and now I have a few....

1. If you are not happy with Uber, why do you continue to driver for them? ( I promise I am not trying to sound rude when I ask this, I honesty just want to know. As I stated in my other thread, I've been lurking here for about a year now and I've always wondered why people driver for Uber if they hate is so much. So if you have a smart ass answer, just keep it to yourself lol)

2.What are your honest thought about the email support agents?

3.Why does the automated emails bother you all so much? I see one here that a lot of drivers hate those. I can understand if the email does not answer the question you are asking, but if it does answer your question, why does it bother you?

I have always wanted to ask drivers this question but while I was working for them, I thought it was be kinda inappropriate to ask. I obviously couldn't ask the drivers who were writing in everyday..

PT Go

1. It's not that I'm unhappy with Uber. I work the system to my best advantage. I keep accurate records for tax purposes and I only need to make X$ a month. I think the rate cuts were crazy low. In my area they could raise them 20% and still be 1/2 of taxi's. I believe some people have just trapped themselves into the Uber mode and were reliant at first on the income and now that it has diminished, they have to drive more to make the car payment. I need to use Uber because of a car repair and the driver was in a brand new car. When I told him I also drove for Uber, he just lamented that he wasn't making any money, had only been driving three weeks and had bought the car for Uber (but not from). And, gee, he already had a 4.7 rating.

2. Not sure of where you stand, but too many times when I conducted my self in a business like manner, was polite and never hostile, I would get too many canned cut and paste answers. In some cases, I would have to re-request as I wouldn't get a response in 48 hours. When I did get a canned answer , it could be from another agent as it seemed the other one just disappeared. There was at least two instances where I was completely ignored and trying to escalate just didn't happen. I just felt there wasn't an honst effort to help a 'partner'.

3. If it answers the question, it wouldn't bother me, but in most cases it was a side dance. 'Thanks for reaching out' became too cliche and very old as there was usually not a solution offered, just "We're currently working on this"

Thanks for listening....

UberHammer

Past Sponsor
1) If I had to drive for Uber the way Uber expects drivers to do the work, I wouldn't drive at all. The only reason I drive is I toe the line of what I can get away with as much as possible, as that's the only way to make the compensation worth the effort. My market is at $1.10 per mile currently, and I can say if it drops to $0.78 per mile like Atlanta, even toeing the line wouldn't produce the compensation I need to make it worth it. So I hate Uber for the ridiculous things it expects drivers to do, and I hate Uber for where the rates are going to go in my market. I know it's just a matter of time before the rate is cut to a point where I'll quit.

2) Waste of time at least 90% of the time, if not more. Sometimes I think I'm just talking to a software program.

3) I only ask questions that aren't answered by the info on the website. When I get an automated responses, I've already read that information. I don't need to read it again.

Renaldow

1. I'm happy and it works for me. Apparently there are a lot of negative people who don't realize that if there's something they hate doing, then they should stop doing it and do something else.

2. I've only had positive experiences with them.

3. Again, I think its the people who can't be happy about anything that complain about this.

MrBear

We keep driving because we need the little cash next pay day. Uber has cost me so much, I want to quit but the cash is needed. Once I find a job that will pay me next week, I'm gone

hmmmmm

I dont dislike uber but at the same time i dont love uber. I do it to make a few extra dollars and i can bc the rates are still ok in my market. If they dropped them again though im sure i would be done. I do not know how people drive for 80c a mile. Its crazy.
I hate the canned email responses because NOT A SINGLE ONE HAS EVER RESOLVED MY ISSUE. every time i get one its at least 3 other emails to try and fix the problem. Ive even had to send 10 respinses to get a problem fixed before and it is so annoying to see that noone read my email before responding because i have said that i already know what the canned response is and it is not my issue yet i still get said canned response. Uber could really do alot more to respect and reward good drivers and still make good money. I think lower rates are an insult and like i said before, any lower in my area and im done. Every single pax i talk to loves uber compared to taxis and the fact they are much cheaper is always one of the reasons. uber just seems to not know when it has a good thing going. But i still like uber enough to drive. The bottom line for me is $ and as long as i can make enough to make it worthwile i will continue to uber on. Take the good with the bad i guess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok. Thank you for the responses. it's nice to be able to actually talk to the drivers outside of working for Uber.

Although the drivers do all the work, I think Uber is mostly concerned with making sure the riders are the happiest. By lowering the rates, it makes the riders happier, but makes the drivers furious. I'm not sure what the future for Uber is at this point, but I didn't want to stick around with that company any longer.

Much respect to you all. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

MrBear

Uber is a good idea but when you have a company that doesn't seem to care about their employees (drivers). Any smart ceo would know better, the sooner he gets pushed out, uber will be something. Right now drivers talk bad about the company, riders know what's going on.

merkurfan

Ok, so I posted a thread letting everyone know that I just quit my position as a CSR agent yesterday and asked if anyone wanted to ask me any questions. I tried my best to answer all questions, and now I have a few....

1. If you are not happy with Uber, why do you continue to driver for them? ( I promise I am not trying to sound rude when I ask this, I honesty just want to know. As I stated in my other thread, I've been lurking here for about a year now and I've always wondered why people driver for Uber if they hate is so much. So if you have a smart ass answer, just keep it to yourself lol)

3.Why does the automated emails bother you all so much? I see one here that a lot of drivers hate those. I can understand if the email does not answer the question you are asking, but if it does answer your question, why does it bother you?

I have always wanted to ask drivers this question but while I was working for them, I thought it was be kinda inappropriate to ask. I obviously couldn't ask the drivers who were writing in everyday..
1. I am meh with uber.. The rates are to low for the market, about half of a taxi and 60 cents a mile lower than lyft. That in my book is stupid. You can under cut the competition with out giving away the farm. I use uber to fill holes in my day. If I have a 9am appointment and the next is not until 4 PM I'll uber in between as it's about an hour drive home from the metro area.

2. so far, my one issue was fixed on the first email. so all is good with that one.

3. Can't say I got one. The TXT messages begging me to go out and make millions on a dead night are for the birds.

Another Uber Driver

1. I do not hate Uber. Uber Taxi works well for me. UberX does not work so well. Still, I do not hate Uber. I wonder about its wrong-headed Rocket Science that dictates that when Uber slashes rates it will mean that I can drive more passengers in an hour than I had been driving, even though the pings were coming at the same pace both before and after the pay cuts. Uber can give me every resident of the Statistical Washington Metropolitan Area as a potential customer, but there is a limit on how many of them that I can haul in one hour. The result of Uber's Wrong-Headed Rocket Science has been that I am hauling the same number of passengers now as I had been when I signed on to UberX. The only difference is that I am earning twenty-two per-cent less money doing it. This is one reason why I drive UberX only enough to stay in the game. I drive Uber Taxi, mostly.

2. Most of them have been helpful on Uber Taxi. On UberX, I get too many canned responses that demonstrate only that the agent in question did not bother to read and comprehend my e-Mail. If I want someone actually to read and comprehend it, I must send it at least five times before anyone even tries to comprehend it. At some point, it vanishes into electronic oblivion: they stop answering.

3. The canned e-Mails do not asnwer my question. As one poster has stated, already, the canned e-Mails are simply re-hashes of the FAQ page. I look on the FAQ page before I send a question or a problem. I had one situation where a failure of Uber's technology cost me a substantial amount of money. No one bothered to read and comprehend my e-Mail or tried to understand what happened and why I had been cheated out of my money. All that I ever received were canned responses. I always take a courteous, businesslike and civilised tone in my correspondence. I am aware that if I am belligerent and obnoxious, no one will want to help me. The problem is that when I am courteous, businesslike and civilised, few UberX CSRs pay any attention. I have yet to try being rude, obnoxious and belligerent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
1. I do not hate Uber. Uber Taxi works well for me. UberX does not work so well. Still, I do not hate Uber. I wonder about its wrong-headed Rocket Science that dictates that when Uber slashes rates it will mean that I can drive more passengers in an hour than I had been driving, even though the pings were coming at the same pace both before and after the pay cuts. Uber can give me every resident of the Statistical Washington Metropolitan Area as a potential customer, but there is a limit on how many of them that I can haul in one hour. The result of Uber's Wrong-Headed Rocket Science has been that I am hauling the same number of passengers now as I had been when I signed on to UberX. The only difference is that I am earning twenty-two per-cent less money doing it. This is one reason why I drive UberX only enough to stay in the game. I drive Uber Taxi, mostly.

2. Most of them have been helpful on Uber Taxi. On UberX, I get too many canned responses that demonstrate only that the agent in question did not bother to read and comprehend my e-Mail. If I want someone actually to read and comprehend it, I must send it at least five times before anyone even tries to comprehend it. At some point, it vanishes into electronic oblivion: they stop answering.

3. The canned e-Mails do not asnwer my question. As one poster has stated, already, the canned e-Mails are simply re-hashes of the FAQ page. I look on the FAQ page before I send a question or a problem. I had one situation where a failure of Uber's technology cost me a substantial amount of money. No one bothered to read and comprehend my e-Mail or tried to understand what happened and why I had been cheated out of my money. All that I ever received were canned responses. I always take a courteous, businesslike and civilised tone in my correspondence. I am aware that if I am belligerent and obnoxious, no one will want to help me. The problem is that when I am courteous, businesslike and civilised, few UberX CSRs pay any attention. I have yet to try being rude, obnoxious and belligerent.
It's funny you say that because it seems like the rude emails get the most attention. They get sent to the "urgent" or "Tier 2" for proper care. I know it sounds bad, but honestly, if you want shit done, you have to yell.

I didn't really handle these types of tickets, I mostly did fare adjustments for the drivers, but when I did come across an angry email, I could see that it had been routed to a manger. The manager usually reads it and gives the driver what they want so they stop emailing them

PT Go

Uber is a good idea but when you have a company that doesn't seem to care about their employees (drivers). Any smart ceo would know better, the sooner he gets pushed out, uber will be something. Right now drivers talk bad about the company, riders know what's going on.
Wouldn't you mean that riders don't know what's going on. I don't think they care. They just want a ride but they do know they are getting it cheap. They don't understand or care about the rating system. If I get canned tomorrow, there is someone else to fill that spot without anyone blinking an eye.
Travis won't get pushed out until there is an IPO, which isn't going to happen soon, as then the truth will come out about the companies true financial standing. In all honesty, I think they're bleeding cash to continue to gain market share and push Lyft and others out.

Micmac

Why Uber fired you, are you too crook ? What s the deal Yo!!

Winkomo

First of all, thank you for your questions.

Re #1, I have a hunch that many drivers don't have a lot of alternatives available to them right now, and if that offends anyone out there, sorry, not trying to piss anyone off if that's NOT your situation. Just think it kinda is for lots a folks.

#2, Once I understood that the email support agents were IC's under a different kind of pressure from corporate, I started seeing their responses as really being nothing more than a parroting coming from up above. It's still frustrating, but it reinforces the view of Uber's corporate culture and ethics.
(and speaking of ethics, i have no idea how anyone doing a shred of due diligence on Uber could ever fathom investing one dime in it; exactly what part of their financial reporting would one ever feel confident in?)

#3 I'm not bothered by an automated email that fixes the problem, and been fortunate not to have an issue yet that hasn't been ultimately resolved. Having said that, I have had a couple of experiences where just by reinitiating the query via a new email and getting a different CSR solved the problem right away. The frustration is that inconsistency undermines faith in the system overall.

Fuzzyelvis

While you've been lurking you must not have read THAT much or you would know the answers to your questions I would think. However.

1. Many of us don't drive or have cut back considerably. I have driven 5 hours in 3 weeks. We are hoping at some point things will improve.

For others they are stuck and have little choice. It's the same reason anyone stays in a shitty job they hate.

2 and 3. Maybe you were a good CSR but many of the responses we get have NOTHING to do with the issue at hand. For instance recently I sent an email with a list of towns around and inside Houston (we have cities within the city here). I explained this was cities where my app would work and that most were basically suburbs of Houston but that they were legally different cities and asked which ones Uber was legal to operate in using my City of Houston TNC license.

I got a response telling me I could change my area but it would take time to activate me in the new city. I had to send 2 more emails to get a response which was basically "we don't really have that information".

I asked why Uber could not tell me where it was legal for me to operate with my license (they should know where they are legal) and I have received NO answer at all.

90% of the time unless it's a common issue ANY question that requires the CSR to read the email is responded to with a form letter that simply has very little to do with it except for a key word somewhere. That is very annoying, especially when it's something that is costing us money.

Emp9

drivers like the flexibility , the fact you can turn it on and off as they please. meeting new people , going on an anventure to a part of a city you might otherwise never been. part time side cash. what we dont like is keep dropping fares, and bs promotions geared to not pay out. pain in the neck pax, rating system.

there will always be something you dont like about a job. so its ridiculous to say dont complain just quit. many of us love the uber concept.

it still makes sense for me math wise, as soon as it doesnt i am out.

Cou-ber

I have a question for you:smiles:) are you aware of uber actually assessing cancellation fees which are not credited back to the driver? We only know what they tell us and I have a hunch it might not be accurate. Are you aware of uber not sharing a cancellation charge with a partner?

Reactions: JBG

thehappytypist

Author
While you've been lurking you must not have read THAT much or you would know the answers to your questions I would think. However.

1. Many of us don't drive or have cut back considerably. I have driven 5 hours in 3 weeks. We are hoping at some point things will improve.

For others they are stuck and have little choice. It's the same reason anyone stays in a shitty job they hate.

2 and 3. Maybe you were a good CSR but many of the responses we get have NOTHING to do with the issue at hand. For instance recently I sent an email with a list of towns around and inside Houston (we have cities within the city here). I explained this was cities where my app would work and that most were basically suburbs of Houston but that they were legally different cities and asked which ones Uber was legal to operate in using my City of Houston TNC license.

I got a response telling me I could change my area but it would take time to activate me in the new city. I had to send 2 more emails to get a response which was basically "we don't really have that information".

I asked why Uber could not tell me where it was legal for me to operate with my license (they should know where they are legal) and I have received NO answer at all.

90% of the time unless it's a common issue ANY question that requires the CSR to read the email is responded to with a form letter that simply has very little to do with it except for a key word somewhere. That is very annoying, especially when it's something that is costing us money.
Part of the problem is that a lot of the experienced, good agents are getting punted up to handle more difficult issues. I like to consider myself a good CSR but I haven't handled driver tickets in months because I got up-trained and work in a different queue now. There are still some good CSRs left in driver tier 1 but not near as many as there used to be. I kind of miss it, driver tickets were a nice challenge and we shared common ground - having to deal with snooty, entitled, @@@@@@@ riders. lol