1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Article re: traffic on 66 after tolls/HOV expansion

Discussion in 'Washington DC' started by SurgeTastic, Jul 12, 2018.

1. SurgeTastic

SurgeTastic

Driving:
    UberX
  2. Another Uber Driver

Another Uber Driver Moderator

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    .........and now they want to put tolls both ways on I-66 in Rush Hours..........................

This means that you take someone out to Dulles Airport from Arlington or the City, and you set your E-Z Pass to HOV. BUT, if you are not willing to wait in the TNC Yard at Dulles Airport for a customer, you will be required to pay a toll to get back to Arlington or Falls Gulch---either that or stew in traffic on Route Seven. The traffic in Tyson's in P.M. Rush rivals anything on K at Connecticut.

3. Nats121

Nats121

Unless there's an increase in telecommuting, carpooling, or slugging, tolling does nothing more than push more cars onto surface streets while providing affluent drivers a way to escape traffic jams.

For everyone else, HOV lanes are a costly luxury.

3.75, Chapindc and New2This like this.
  4. Another Uber Driver

Driving:
    UberTAXI

They call them "Lexus lanes" for a reason.

What is really funny is that a Lexus is nothing but a Toyota with a fancy price tag.

5. New2This

New2This

I'm not a big fan of tolls (I like tolls like Nats121Nats121 likes immigration) but 66 from Tyson's to Arlington between 3-7 is a parking lot. Can take 45+ to get from 123 to Glebe Road.

6. LowIQCrazyMika

LowIQCrazyMika

That means, people who likes to ant at IAD will accept an IAD trip while people like myself will cancel as soon as the destination is beyond Arlington or Alexandria (GW Parkway accessable)

7. nutzareus

nutzareus

Driving:
    UberX
    Sorry that’s why I didn’t come to deplorable meetup, didn’t realize 66 inbound was also a cluster on a regular basis.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2018
  8. Another Uber Driver

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    You should have asked me, I could have told you that. It has been worse than usual, this week, though.

3.75 likes this.
  9. 3.75

Anyone with common knowledge of the area knows that 66 gets clogged like a toilet after Taco Tuesday. It's worse during the weekends.

nutzareus, Bluecrab and Nats121 like this.
  10. Nats121

Nats121

What seldom gets discussed are ALL the costs these "projects" entail.

The glacial pace that the work gets done increases costs dramatically.

Lane closure equipment setup (flashing arrows and barrels/cones) can cost the taxpayers more than $1500 per day depending on the amount of trucks and barrels/cones involved.

The major increase in commuting times for motorists who get caught in the lane closure traffic jams means time away from their families.

The extra pollution generated by the traffic jams, especially the long lines of 18-wheelers stuck in traffic with their engines idling.

Check out 395 in Alexandria. Putting up a handful of sound walls has already taken more than 3 months and they're still not close to being finished.

Lane closure fees can be very lucrative.

Keep that in mind when you see projects taking forever to complete.

3.75 likes this.
  11. True, it’s an afternoon nightmare. But traffic gets flowing after ballston exit. Too bad that’s the exit I take to get back home.

New2This likes this.
  12. Bluecrab

Bluecrab

Driving:
    UberX
    Not to divert the thread from tolls, but I've read Another Uber DriverAnother Uber Driver make this comment elsewhere and have wanted to follow up. Lexus = overpriced Toyota.

Maybe the motor is the same but surely the trim package is better. By correlation, what if there are two adjacent 1500 sq feet townhones. But one has crown mounding throughout. Granite counters vs Formica. Hardwood floors vs cheap carpeting. You would expect to pay more for the upgraded home, but at the end of the day both owners are in the same location with 1500 sq ft of living space.

I don't drive a Lexus, I drive a Toyota. But I'm in a nicely upgraded row home. I can understand why some drivers prefer Lexus over Toyota.

koyotemohn likes this.
  13. Just get the ez pass and hone your shuffle technique to pay for the tolls.

Rainbows&unicorns and 3.75 like this.
  14. 3.75

It's not just the engine that's shared, it's the whole frame. Engine sharing isn't new, and neither is chassis sharing but when you're buying an overpriced Camry (Lexus ES) or Highlander (Lexus RX) and the only thing that changes is the "trim", but still drives and feels like a commuter car Toyota then there's a problem.

Remember, GM did the same thing since the 70's and it almost caused them to lose the whole business. When you sell a lower end car with fake wood and chrome at a higher price and no unique features then people eventually wise up and go somewhere else.

koyotemohn likes this.
  15. nutzareus

nutzareus

Driving:
    UberX
    I figured it out when I bought 2001 Infiniti QX4. It was basically a leather-trimmed Nissan Pathfinder. All of the vehicle parts I serviced myself were identical cross-referenced to the Pathfinder. Same part at Infiniti dealer was more expensive than Nissan. I never went back to Jim Coleman Infiniti again, got them at Gaithersburg Nissan or online at Amazon.

koyotemohn and 3.75 like this.
  16. To hell with everything. I feel safest in German engineering and that is the truth.

3.75 likes this.
  17. nutzareus

nutzareus

Driving:
    UberX
    [​IMG]

This is also German engineering.

3.75, koyotemohn and New2This like this.
  18. New2This

New2This

You're excluded from this but in general the biggest F.H.P.s per capita on the road are in German vehicles. Audi (VW with Mercedes price tag) BMW and VW are the worst IMHO.

koyotemohn likes this.
  19. I fornicating love my Passat. My frame and handling are Beowulf class savage, lol. Hyundai’s scare me for being chinsy

Lmfao!!!!!