• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Arro - new taxi app / update to Verifone app

Inshur

KofiTaxi

Curious as to everyone's thoughts/opinions.....

So in NYC, CMT has released a new taxi app called Arro (in itunes store and google play store, also google it). It works for all yellow and green taxi cabs in NYC that have the CMT tv screen. It looks exactly like uber. They basically copied the uber app, switched the colors and removed surge pricing.

Have you downloaded and tried it?
Do you think this will lower the number of riders on the uber app?
Do you think uber will lower the rate per mile so that PAXs dont switch over to this app?

Genogts

Definitely will lower the number of riders. If you look at the ARRO map ETA less 1-2 minute top. Yesterday was first day. 800 downloads. Each cab drivers got ARRO flyers for passenger, all taxi top advertising will promote ARRO soon. Probably first uber will drop surge price forever in NYC. Second will drop price. No more ripoff. Welcome to reality.

Last edited:

ubernyc

Hopefully drivers make smart decisions and switch to black car, livery and yellow so it would be like it used to be before 2013.

ubernyc

and arro has been a big hit.. 800 downloads.. similar to uber app so ppl will know how to use it and no surge, so thatll discourage more passnegers to use other modes like local car service, reserve a black car, or hail a taxi in front of em.

just pray and wait that uber will leave town, been in the industry for 10+ yrs and this is one of the worst summers for me and other veternas who are doing skyline, elite, u tog, my taxi base , carmel, etc.

Genogts

and arro has been a big hit.. 800 downloads.. similar to uber app so ppl will know how to use it and no surge, so thatll discourage more passnegers to use other modes like local car service, reserve a black car, or hail a taxi in front of em.

just pray and wait that uber will leave town, been in the industry for 10+ yrs and this is one of the worst summers for me and other veternas who are doing skyline, elite, u tog, dial 7 , carmel, etc.
This all SILICON VALLEY gangster must go back to California. Because this gigs don't care about as. Uber investing heavily in driverless cars. Ask your self why?Guy's don't be naive. For mega corporations we nobody. If uber will lower rates tomorrow to .50 cents per mile what you all will do??? Nothing. Why? Cuz many of you sale your self to uber already. When you signed lease agreement for car. Now uber is your master. This is reality. Before 2013 we drivers in NYC was professional( yellow, livery, fhv) . In 2015 we all looks like big joke. Thanks to uber( drive part time, drive when you want, make 90k per year). We got what we deserve.

ubernyc

now i see those bums driving mercedes and highlanders and not look professional.. man if u were with a real base u would have ur ass fined and kicked out of the base

KofiTaxi

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Definitely will lower the number of riders. If you look at the ARRO map ETA less 1-2 minute top. Yesterday was first day. 800 downloads. Each cab drivers got ARRO fliers for passenger, all taxi top advertising will promote ARRO soon. Probably first uber will drop surge price forever in NYC. Second will drop price. No more ripoff. Welcome to reality.
1. what do you mean drivers were given flyers?
2. where did you read that they will be doing rooftop advertising?

Genogts

1. what do you mean drivers were given flyers?
2. where did you read that they will be doing rooftop advertising?
Trust me. I am not uber.

I mean fleets drivers before shift got ARRO flyers from Dispetcher for pax. CMT send emails to the fleets about roof top advertising. ARRO will fly. Uber surge price will die.

Last edited:

Usman Faiz

Arro will be just another Lyft & Gett. Will get few riders but wont make a dent in Uber growth. Even Lyft riders ask , Are you Uber when they get in car realizing later they have called Lyft.

ubershiza

All nyc politicians payed by David Ploufee and wall street . Time for this shit show to end. Over 20000 drivers and adding more by the day. Soon drivers making no money, just able to pay insurance and santander loan. Passengers have more than enough choices. Top 10% get richer while the rest have tobe slaves or plan for retirement in Mexican country.

Genogts

Arro will be just another Lyft & Gett. Will get few riders but wont make a dent in Uber growth. Even Lyft riders ask , Are you Uber when they get in car realizing later they have called Lyft.
I totally disagree. Yellow and green got the fleet 20000 cars all ready. Lyft and gett need the cars.ARRO don't need new cars at all. ARRO need users. Second day I got 3 pickup from ARRO. This is biggest threat for uber since 2009. Don't forget people in NYC love taxi meter on dashboard.

Last edited:

Lenny_yellow_cab

The only way yellow can truly compete with uber is by lowering prices but they better lower the rents of the cabs..... We all know thats not gonna happen lol

9 year veteran here

KofiTaxi

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Usman, you make good points. With Arro, you are going to have another app player that customers can choose from - potentially crowding the field. But I think Arro stands a chance because

1. huge huge difference is that a driver with Arro - unlike the other taxi apps - no their rates and no their rates will not go down b/c uber wants to win market share that day and two isnt worried that uber will raise their cut of their profit. that is a huge huge point of difference between arro and uber.
2. yellows/greens have them so no one is going to get in a yellow/green and wonder if it is a lyft or uber like sometimes happen
3. you wont have surge pricing which is PAX hates. I cant speak for other cities but in the end in nyc PAX just want to get from one point to another and taxis (in manhattan and brooklyn) do that. so if the price is set and arro is fast folks will use the service.
4. cars w/ Arro are now already out on the street. it isnt like you need to get drivers to go to TLC (now that's a monster that deserves its own thread) get licensed and get TLC plates and then drive. Yellows/green already have it.
5. i hear that CMT will be advertising for Arro on their rooftops.

i actually think/want arro to be somewhat successful b/c it will push uber to be better to us (like hertz/avis or coke/pepsi). dont think either one will disappear in the nyc market.

antiuber$

Arro will kill uber. Why use an uber with surge pricing, people feel that they are being ripped off. This will be there way of saying no to surging.

Usman Faiz

I totally disagree. Yellow and green got the fleet 20000 cars all ready. Lyft and gett need the cars.ARRO don't need new cars at all. ARRO need users. Second day I got 3 pickup from ARRO. This is biggest threat for uber since 2009. Don't forget people in NYC love taxi meter on dashboard.
Ok SO ARRO can be used only by yellow & green cabs. But if an ARRO is available it means yellow or green can is available as well since driver is same so why not just use yellow? Riders will have to sit in a yellow cab which Uber riders hate.

Brooklyn

What I think may be happening is the plan is to lower the medallion... Kick the fleet owners out.. Have the drivers have the medallions and instead of daily rates where fleets maintain the cars all these apps will just clip the fares. Makes sense why Verifone and CMT hasn't really gotten into the lawsuits. They'll make even more money this way.

Genogts

What I think may be happening is the plan is to lower the medallion... Kick the fleet owners out.. Have the drivers have the medallions and instead of daily rates where fleets maintain the cars all these apps will just clip the fares. Makes sense why Verifone and CMT hasn't really gotten into the lawsuits. They'll make even more money this way.
How you even can connected Verifone and Cmt to lawsuit? Verifone and Cmt just payments process company. Got 3 years TLC contracts. This two companies just middleman's between taxi and credit card companies. Don't make any sense.

Brooklyn

How you even can connected Verifone and Cmt to lawsuit? Verifone and Cmt just payments process company. Got 3 years TLC contracts. This two companies just middleman's between taxi and credit card companies. Don't make any sense.
So follow me with this one and let me know if this makes any sense..

- Medallion prices drop yes.. so it hurts people like Ron Sherman but he's making his money anyway since he owns CMT
- Verifone makes their money off of credit card trips... that's all.. basically just makes people like Freidman a middle man just there.. Sherman can also be considered a middle man but he owns his own credit processing so he's fine.

How CMT and Verifone can profit..
Right now there's only X amount they basically can make because there's a finite amount of taxis out there.. instead of just making X amount of trips a day.. they can be like Uber and use their own apps like Way2Ride and Arro(or just combine them to release 1 reliable stable app) to charge a percentage of the trips and increase it from what is it? 5%? to 15-20% for the same trips.

So if the medallion drops a bit (which is whatever to Verifone and CMT).. more people can buy medallions themselves and take care of their own cars(which erases Freidman) and minus's out the lease rates and let's Verifone and CMT charge more for the app.

Basically my point is it makes more sense for those two companies to become Uber-like and let drivers still be able to pick up street hails then it would than let Freidman get paid to have the vehicles and charge a high lease and let CMT and Verifone only charge a small amount so the drivers can be left with a livable wage.