• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Arro - coming soon

nutzareus

That's why I only had 6 trips total this week. Time is money, I don't sit idle wasting my life waiting for a ping anymore. It's simply not worth it. So many idle drivers online in every direction that are too close to each other.

Another Uber Driver

Uber will just lower rates again...simple, that seems to be their solution to everything
FIFTY, not forty-eight, not forty-nine, but FIFTY, count 'em FIFTY "LIKE" votes for this post!

Uber has taxis, here, so it will not be that big a deal to Uber, at least. Uber Taxi has its users; UberX, its. As it has a "Pay with [application]" feature that Uber Taxi lacks, I would hope that Uber will finally implement that feature. The Uber Office People do agree with me on that one, i.e. that the Uber Taxi application should have that feature. Uber has only one current competitor on the taxi application: Curb, formerly Taxi Magic. That one works with fleets, only, not individual drivers. Does anyone know if this one works with individual drivers or does it work only with fleets? If it works with individual drivers, I will sign up. I will take anything that gives me customers.

There were two other applications here, at one point. Hail-O has pulled out of North America. It operates, still, in Europe and Asia. When it was in North America, from what I understand, it did give Uber a run in Chicago, New York, Boston and Toronto. It never ran anything more than a poor second to Uber, here. The other application was My Taxi, from Germany. It operates in Europe and Asia, as well. In North America, it operated only in the Washington Area. It worked with individual drivers in all three jurisdictions. It was not picky about which drivers it sent to which calls. It gave me several summonses in Virginia, all but one of which did return to D.C. The last one stayed in Virginia. That is illegal but I did it, anyhow. More than one D.C. My Taxi driver told me that he received summonses in Maryland and Virginia that stayed there. My Taxi is currently on hiatus, here. They left me a message that they were going on hiatus and would return, soon. That was May. It was acquired by the same holding company that holds Car2Go and Daimler-Benz AG. It never got bigger than Uber Taxi, here.

From what my customers tell me, paying with Uber is common in Chicago for street hails. The users hail a taxi, and, ask if it is an Uber Taxi. If so, they pay with Uber. It is a dicey process. The customer must prepare his request. When he is ready, the driver must open his application. As soon as the driver opens his, the customer must submit. You would think that since the customer is no more than six feet from the driver, that it would go to the driver in whose cab he is. Usually, it does, but not always. Uber does not charge if the customer cancels in less than five minutes, so, the customer must cancel and re-submit. In all but one case, the second time worked. One time, it did take three tries. My Chicago passengers tell me that two tries is not uncommon and three have happened more than once. If this new one lets you pay an in-system taxi that you hailed on the street with certainty, that would be a feature that Uber Taxi currently lacks.

Currently, I do offer my street hails who want an e-Mailed receipt or are late for a meeting, doctor's appointment, train, bus or aeroplane the pay-with-Uber option. This lets them simply get out once I arrive at their destination. I would assume that you would key in the metered fare at the destination on this one, as you do, currently, on Uber Taxi. Uber Taxi does not have surge pricing, here. As far as I know, Uber Taxi has no surge pricing, anywhere.

Genogts

FIFTY, not forty-eight, not forty-nine, but FIFTY, count 'em FIFTY "LIKE" votes for this post!

Uber has taxis, here, so it will not be that big a deal to Uber, at least. Uber Taxi has its users; UberX, its. As it has a "Pay with [application]" feature that Uber Taxi lacks, I would hope that Uber will finally implement that feature. The Uber Office People do agree with me on that one, i.e. that the Uber Taxi application should have that feature. Uber has only one current competitor on the taxi application: Curb, formerly Taxi Magic. That one works with fleets, only, not individual drivers. Does anyone know if this one works with individual drivers or does it work only with fleets? If it works with individual drivers, I will sign up. I will take anything that gives me customers.

There were two other applications here, at one point. Hail-O has pulled out of North America. It operates, still, in Europe and Asia. When it was in North America, from what I understand, it did give Uber a run in Chicago, New York, Boston and Toronto. It never ran anything more than a poor second to Uber, here. The other application was My Taxi, from Germany. It operates in Europe and Asia, as well. In North America, it operated only in the Washington Area. It worked with individual drivers in all three jurisdictions. It was not picky about which drivers it sent to which calls. It gave me several summonses in Virginia, all but one of which did return to D.C. The last one stayed in Virginia. That is illegal but I did it, anyhow. More than one D.C. My Taxi driver told me that he received summonses in Maryland and Virginia that stayed there. My Taxi is currently on hiatus, here. They left me a message that they were going on hiatus and would return, soon. That was May. It was acquired by the same holding company that holds Car2Go and Daimler-Benz AG. It never got bigger than Uber Taxi, here.

From what my customers tell me, paying with Uber is common in Chicago for street hails. The users hail a taxi, and, ask if it is an Uber Taxi. If so, they pay with Uber. It is a dicey process. The customer must prepare his request. When he is ready, the driver must open his application. As soon as the driver opens his, the customer must submit. You would think that since the customer is no more than six feet from the driver, that it would go to the driver in whose cab he is. Usually, it does, but not always. Uber does not charge if the customer cancels in less than five minutes, so, the customer must cancel and re-submit. In all but one case, the second time worked. One time, it did take three tries. My Chicago passengers tell me that two tries is not uncommon and three have happened more than once. If this new one lets you pay an in-system taxi that you hailed on the street with certainty, that would be a feature that Uber Taxi currently lacks.

Currently, I do offer my street hails who want an e-Mailed receipt or are late for a meeting, doctor's appointment, train, bus or aeroplane the pay-with-Uber option. This lets them simply get out once I arrive at their destination. I would assume that you would key in the metered fare at the destination on this one, as you do, currently, on Uber Taxi. Uber Taxi does not have surge pricing, here. As far as I know, Uber Taxi has no surge pricing, anywhere.
Uber charge $2 service fee for uberT in NYC. ARRO free for drivers and pax. ARRO by far best app for taxi. Software connect to CMT and meter.

Last edited:

KofiTaxi

1/3 of the NYC taxis have it now - will hit DC soon - doesn't transform the DC taxi experience but with more options comes more pain for Uber. Next up for Uber - quality initiatives....good luck with that

https://www.goarro.com/

http://www.wired.com/2015/08/arrow-ny-taxis-app/?mbid=social_fb
[JUST POSTED THIS IN THE NEW YORK THREAD....]
Hi guys - I ARRO'ed for the first time today to get a handle on the competition. I must say - in new york city anyway - this app is amazing and going to put some strong pressure on uber to treat us much better (at least in new york). Here's a recap:

1. Summoning a taxi was as easy as using uber. Opened the app, said "I needed a cab" and was told one was less than one minute away. Would say both apps are even on this point.
2.Paying. Automatically charged to the credit card i put in my profile and the default is 20% tip. Good god, can you imagine if we are getting that on uber? Easily ARRO wins this point. In my personal opinion, uber is going to have to add tip as an option - if only in new york - drivers are going to get pissed that there is a nyc cab app which automatically defaults to 20% app. We know PAXs are pretty stupid and wont spend time to take off tip if it comes included
3. Rates - my cab driver today told me that he had picked up six riders who ARRO'ed. The driver said he likes it b/c he can pick up PAXs on the street or by hail and without any prompting said "gonna always have passengers, making more each hour." That's what worries me. We dont control our rates, uber increases and decreases at their whim.

Anyway, that's what I learned/heard from trying out Arro today. Has anyone else tried it, what's your view on Arro nudging uber to treat us a touch better?

Another Uber Driver

Automatically charged to the credit card i put in my profile and the default is 20% tip. Good god, can you imagine if we are getting that on uber? Easily ARRO wins this point. In my personal opinion, uber is going to have to add tip as an option - if only in new york - drivers are going to get pissed that there is a nyc cab app which automatically defaults to 20% app. We know PAXs are pretty stupid and wont spend time to take off tip if it comes included
In Washington, Uber Taxi automatically charges the fare that the driver keys in at the end of the trip to the credit card that the user has on file. There is a default tip setting of twenty per-cent. The user can change the tip setting to whatever percentage he wants: zero to whatever. The user has another choice for the tip: he can set it to a fixed dollar amount regardless of the fare. There is a two dollar user fee. The two dollar user fee is no big deal, here. Since the 1920s, it has cost extra to call a cab in Washington. The current fee for calling a cab in Washington? [Drum roll, PLEASE!] Yup, you guessed it: TWO DOLLARS!

Is there no tip function on UberT in New York?

Few passengers do change the tip function, here. Most who do change it to ten per-cent or zero. I have run across only one or two who do the fixed dollar amount. I have run across three or four who have set it to more than twenty per-cent.

If the Arro application, is, indeed, as you describe it, it will function in the same way as the Uber Taxi application; here, at least. Based on your narrative and my experience with Uber Taxi here, it appears that Arro and Uber Taxi will receive a "tie" rating.

KGB7

[JUST POSTED THIS IN THE NEW YORK THREAD....]
Hi guys - I ARRO'ed for the first time today to get a handle on the competition. I must say - in new york city anyway - this app is amazing and going to put some strong pressure on uber to treat us much better (at least in new york). Here's a recap:

1. Summoning a taxi was as easy as using uber. Opened the app, said "I needed a cab" and was told one was less than one minute away. Would say both apps are even on this point.
2.Paying. Automatically charged to the credit card i put in my profile and the default is 20% tip. Good god, can you imagine if we are getting that on uber? Easily ARRO wins this point. In my personal opinion, uber is going to have to add tip as an option - if only in new york - drivers are going to get pissed that there is a nyc cab app which automatically defaults to 20% app. We know PAXs are pretty stupid and wont spend time to take off tip if it comes included
3. Rates - my cab driver today told me that he had picked up six riders who ARRO'ed. The driver said he likes it b/c he can pick up PAXs on the street or by hail and without any prompting said "gonna always have passengers, making more each hour." That's what worries me. We dont control our rates, uber increases and decreases at their whim.

Anyway, that's what I learned/heard from trying out Arro today. Has anyone else tried it, what's your view on Arro nudging uber to treat us a touch better?
20% tip is automatically added?!

@@@@ you Travis.

waker81

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
20% tip is automatically added?!

@@@@ you Travis.
Arro is NOT an Uber product - it is being implemented in NYC for taxis to help them compete with Uber - will be in DC soon

TwoFiddyMile

It's only an issue if cabs lower prices.
Cab customers are not nearly as price consious as uber pax. The real concern with cab customers is a universal flag app.
At this point, Uber has created a whole new Unter class of pax which we cabbies want no part of. They won't pay and they don't tip.
Entitled shared economy little millennial shits.
Keep em!
OUR customers simply want a universal flag app which works city to city.

Another Uber Driver

OUR customers simply want a universal flag app which works city to city.

If Uber Taxi were available in more markets, the customers would have it, already. Uber works too hard at pushing UberX while ignoring the wants and needs of some of their other users. Whether Uber cares to admit it, or not, there are some people who do not want to pay limousine rates and do not like UberX. There actually are more than a few people who really would prefer a taxi.

KofiTaxi

In Washington, Uber Taxi automatically charges the fare that the driver keys in at the end of the trip to the credit card that the user has on file. There is a default tip setting of twenty per-cent. The user can change the tip setting to whatever percentage he wants: zero to whatever. The user has another choice for the tip: he can set it to a fixed dollar amount regardless of the fare. There is a two dollar user fee. The two dollar user fee is no big deal, here. Since the 1920s, it has cost extra to call a cab in Washington. The current fee for calling a cab in Washington? [Drum roll, PLEASE!] Yup, you guessed it: TWO DOLLARS!

[MY RESPONSE......]
Yes, you make very good points and note that the two apps are practically identifical EXCEPT (1) ARRO doesnt lower your rates (good for drivers!) and (2) ARRO doesnt surge (good for PAX!). Uber can, and lowers rates all the time. Those are the two points drivers and PAX care about. If ARRO differentiates itself by those two points, Uber will need to match on the app which helps us or we are losing PAX to regular taxis with universal hail apps. So i dont see this as a tie, instead i say uber...your move.

Another Uber Driver

Correct, Uber has surges for Uber Black, Uber SUV, UberX and UberXL. Uber changes the rates for any of the aforementioned. Uber, however, does not have surges for Uber Taxi and can not change the rates for Uber Taxi. Taxi rates are set by local regulators. Here, it is the District of Columbia Taxicab Commission that sets the rates, although when we had meters rammed down our throats in 2008, Our Former Dear Revered Leader Kim il-Fenty set the rates. I had no idea that the Mayor set taxi rates here. Further, I had to wonder if the Mayor of the District of Columbia did not have more important things to do than micromanage the taxicab business. I stray.

In New York City, the TLC sets the cab rates. Uber can not alter them or surge them, there, either. In fact, if you use UberT up there, you can not pay through the application. You use the UberT platform only to summon your vehicle; the user must pay the driver. Here, if the customer uses Uber Taxi, he pays through the application, just as he would any other Uber level of service.

My statement that the two would seem to be a tie is based solely on a comparison of Arro to Uber Taxi, here and Arro to UberT up there. The one advantage that Arro does appear to have over UberT would be the option to pay through the application on Arro; something that you can not do on UberT. Here, the user pays through the application on Uber Taxi, just as he has the option on Arro. I am not attempting to compare Arro to UberX, UberXL, Uber Black or Uber SUV, or any other Uber except UberT (NYC)/Uber Taxi (DC).

TwoFiddyMile

If Uber Taxi were available in more markets, the customers would have it, already. Uber works too hard at pushing UberX while ignoring the wants and needs of some of their other users. Whether Uber cares to admit it, or not, there are some people who do not want to pay limousine rates and do not like UberX. There actually are more than a few people who really would prefer a taxi.
You and I are in total agreement regarding this.
TK doesn't like UberTaxi because he has to relinquish control.
Say I'm out in Huntersville, ok I'm not likely to get a ping from my cab company so I activate UberT.
Back in the city top at Amtrak? I deactivate UberT, cause I'm gonna get a walk up soon.
Top in a hot cab ping zone? Deactivate UberT cause I'd rather the $2.50 mile than work for pennies.
Cabbies are true ICs, which Travis definitely does not want.
TK needs complete control over his drivers.
I'm surprised he hasn't killed UberT.

Another Uber Driver

Deactivate UberT cause I'd rather the $2.50 mile than work for pennies.

I get the same amount for Uber Taxi that I would get for a street hail.

If I take a street hail from Capitol Hill to National Airport, I get about sixteen dollars.
If I take an Uber Taxi summons from Capitol Hill to National Airport, I get about sixteen dollars.
Unlike UberX, on Uber Taxi, I am not working for T. Kalanick's rates, I am working for the rates set by the Taxicab Commission. Thus, I have nothing to lose and everything to gain by accepting an Uber Taxi summons.

The one difference is a call from my company over an Uber Taxi summons or a street hail. Since the 1920s, it has cost extra to call a cab in Washington. The current charge for that is two dollars. Thus, if I take a call from my company from Capitol Hill to National Airport, I get eighteen dollars. Current DCTC Regulations specifically prohibit the charging of the call fee by the driver for a fare received from an application. Current DCTC Regulations do permit the provider/manger/operator of the application to charge the user a "user fee". Do keep in mind, as well, that I pay my company a fee to subscribe to the call assignment service. If I do not want calls, I can elect not to pay and I will not receive them from my company. Fewer than ten per-cent of the cabs here are on some kind of call assignment service. This always has been the case. Back in the days when it was radio dispatchers, fewer than ten per-cent of the cabs subscribed to a dispatch service. Most of the cabs here always have done and still do street hails/stand pick-ups.

Please do note that I disinguish between "call assignment" and "dispatch". Call assignment is what is in current use. A computer, aided by a satellite and GPS assigns calls to a driver. True dispatching requires a human being who knows what he is doing. In fact, it is difficult if not impossible for someone who has never driven a cab to dispatch them. A computer can not dispatch. It can assign calls, but it can not dispatch; there is a difference.