Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Arrested for Domestic Battery Charges were dropped. WIll uber fire me?

Tags
chicago
11K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  JimKE 
#1 ·
Hello Fellow drivers,

I DRIVE IN CHICAGO, IL.

I have been a driver for 5 months now, with over 375 rides, 4.9 ratings.

I have been driving uber since Dec 2017, which is when my first background check was run and I passed.

In February of 2018, my annual check was ran and passed.

Unfortunately in March of 2018, i was ARRESTED with domestic battery and CHARGES HAVE BEEN DROPPED.

CHARGES WERE COMPLETEY DROPPED.

I hired a lawyer, and we are in the process OF EXPUNGMENT. THIS STARTED IN APRIL 2018.

Im not sure if my expungment (record cleared) will be done before ubers annual or 6 month BACKGROUND CHECK.

When checkr runs my annual check it will read as this to UBER.
DOMESTIC BATTERY - PHYSICAL CONTACT
Charge Type MISDEMEANOR
Disposition STRICKEN OFF LEAVE

stricken off Leave---- They dont put dismissed on there records in Illinois.

My main questions are

1. DO you think Uber will deactivate me, if they run my 6 month check and see this ARREST on my record?

2. DOES UBER DEACTIVATE PEOPLE EVEN IF THEY WERE ARRESTED, AND THE CHARGES WERE DROPPED IN COURT?

Please help.

thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
I think by February when your next background check probably occurs it will be expunged and not an issue.

If something was dismissed i think it would be off your record.
I'm hoping so, the lawyer was 99 percent confident. however in life you never know.

The reality is even if charges are dismissed they don't clear from your background check.

I tested it out. I applied for Grubhub in april, which uses the same background company... ( checkr) and

this is how it read. from Checkr--------- I WAS CURIOUS TO SEE HOW CHECKR WOULD WORD IT.

DOMESTIC BATTERY - PHYSICAL CONTACT
Charge Type MISDEMEANOR
Disposition STRICKEN OFF LEAVE

There fore even when charges are dropped they still show up on your record... ALOT OF PEOPLE DON'T REALIZE THIS. i WORKED IN H.R, AND RAN MANY BACKGROUND CHECKS..

#12 ·
I think chances of you getting deactivated are pretty high. Even though the charges were dropped, it's an actual arrest for Battery - Physical Contact, which sounds like you got physical with someone. We don't know the full facts obviously, but the facts of the case really don't matter anyway.

Uber will not look at this from a legal perspective of guilty/not guilty. Their concern is rider safety and PR.

Uber will read the Checkr report and say, "Here's a driver who has been arrested for physically assaulting someone. How would it look if we keep this driver and they get into a physical confrontation with one of our customers? Not good."

#13 ·
The police will always arrest even on hearsay - "He touched me." But if it turns out there was no intentional act and no marks on a 'victim' there is no crime. I do not believe UBER could get away with flaunting the criminal court system. There is guilty, not guilty, nolo contendere, dismissal and expungement and all those rulings carry weight. Not guilty is the weakest.

#17 ·
The police will always arrest even on hearsay.
Depends on the crime. For some crimes, police must actually witness the event themselves to make an arrest. For others, they can arrest on "probable cause."

"Hearsay," BTW does not mean a victim claiming something. Hearsay is exactly what it sounds like -- "I heard him say..." It's one person reporting what they claim to have heard another person say, and hearsay evidence is generally not admissible in court. (There are exceptions.)
But if it turns out there was no intentional act and no marks on a 'victim' there is no crime.
Again, it depends. Some crimes require intent, others do not. And there don't have to be visible injuries for a crime to have occurred.
I do not believe UBER could get away with flaunting the criminal court system. There is guilty, not guilty, nolo contendere, dismissal and expungement and all those rulings carry weight. Not guilty is the weakest.
Uber has nothing to do with the criminal court system in OP's case. And they are not affected in any way by what a court may have decided in OPs case. Their decision is based purely on whether they think OP will continue to be a good independent contractor for them. If so, great. If not, not.

#15 · (Edited)
I'm curious about why you were arrested to begin with?
This should be good.
Because of what you tell a woman with 2 black eyes ? Nuthin, because you dun told her twice already.

In all seriousness I had a live in gf who did not like the fact that I'm not an arguer, I'm more the create some distance and talk when whatever was up her ass fell out. She threw a boot at me while I was lying in bed watching TV and said to me, I'm tired of you being such a ***** and not fighting with me, I'm gonna punch myself in the eye and call the police and say you hit me.

She appeared to change her mind when I told her that I recorded everything she said. She literally then opened the window and climbed down the fire escape and went back to her parents home she in Brooklyn and would call my usual hangouts a few days later asking me how I could just go on normally with all that we had together falling apart.

I just said I have people in my life that make it better, life is too short to deal with negative.

I think I just care about me more than others and I've never had a gf get to me, drama it's easier to just move on.

#25 ·
They can give you 7 days notice and deactivate you for NOTHING, if they want to. Read your contract.
They can actually deactivate you with no notice -- as we've seen in numerous threads complaining about trying to go online and finding that they were deactivated. And you are right -- they don't need any REASON. Either party can terminate the agreement for no reason at all.

Can they fire you for being gay?
No, of course not.

But they don't have to -- and often won't -- give ANY reason. They just turn you off, and when you ask why they say somebody else handled it and the decision is final. They don't have to tell you a thing.

I've only seen them give reasons in two situations:
  • When a rider has made a SERIOUS complaint, or
  • Because a background check came back with negative information
And in both of those scenarios, they have said the decision was irreversible and final.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.