Arizona get ready to pay more for your insurance March 1st 2016 or get dropped!!!

Adbam

I was doing some more research about tnc insurance for az and how it relates to the hb 2135 bill and I found a handy pdf document that the independent insurance brokers of az is giving out. It's a lot easier to understand than reading the bill. Here is a very important part...

"As passed by the legislature on Sine Die, the majority of HB 2135 becomes effective on July 3,
2015, with the new insurance provisions going into effect on March 1, 2016. From July 3, 2015 to
February 29, 2016, an insurer may not cancel or non-renew a personal auto policy that has been in
effect for 60 days or more solely because the named insured uses a vehicle for TNC purposes.
Effective March 1, 2016, a personal auto policy that has been in effect for 60 days or more may be
subject to cancellation or non-renewal if the named insured does not maintain coverage for TNC
use."

So it looks like what's happening in Texas is going to happen in AZ in a month and a half. Either you have tnc coverage or you are canceled.

Download and keep the pdf.

Good luck!

Attachments

Last edited:

Mike T

I was doing some more research about tnc insurance for az and how it relates to the hb 2135 bill and I found a handy pdf document that the independent insurance brokers of az is giving out. It's a lot easier to understand than reading the bill. Here is a very important part...

"As passed by the legislature on Sine Die, the majority of HB 2135 becomes effective on July 3,
2015, with the new insurance provisions going into effect on March 1, 2016. From July 3, 2015 to
February 29, 2016, an insurer may not cancel or non-renew a personal auto policy that has been in
effect for 60 days or more solely because the named insured uses a vehicle for TNC purposes.
Effective March 1, 2016, a personal auto policy that has been in effect for 60 days or more may be
subject to cancellation or non-renewal if the named insured does not maintain coverage for TNC
use."

So it looks like what's happening in Texas is going to happen in AZ in a month and a half. Either you have tnc coverage or your canceled.

Download and keep the pdf.

Good luck!
Law Enforcement will start ticketing effective 3/1/2016 in Arizona. The insurance increases are not bad at all. You may contact me with questions, I'm an agent in Phoenix and I helped Mercury Insurance write the policy.

Adbam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Law Enforcement will start ticketing effective 3/1/2016 in Arizona. The insurance increases are not bad at all. You may contact me with questions, I'm an agent in Phoenix and I helped Mercury Insurance write the policy.
Mike do you know if uber is required to provide the state with all the drivers info publicly or is this something that will only be enforced by the police/weights and measures?

TakinItUpWithUber

Law Enforcement will start ticketing effective 3/1/2016 in Arizona.
Hardly unlikely since Uber has the Gov, AG (State top cop) and the county attorney (Choir boy Bill Montgomery) are ALL in Uber's back pocket. Montgomery is in fact having a love fest with Uber!

Mike T

I don't disagree with you Takinitup about the politics. I understand the Phoenix and Tucson police will be asking for proof if they suspect ridesharing. I don't believe the company is sending anything to the state to document that someone is driving for a TNC company.

osii

Do they really expect us to pay out of our pockets for a TNC policy at these rates?

Teksaz

Well of coarse osii and on top of that, "these rates" you speak of will soon be reduced to $0.65/mile.

Uber On LOL

At the risk of sounding ignorant, does this mean that our personal insurance policies are no longer valid for ride sharing and we have to get commerical insurance to continue on with Uber?

Teksaz

According to Mike T that is correct. It's either his insurance company (Mercury) or nothing.

I have USAA and asked him last night if the two could be combined and he said, no it's all or nothing.

F Uber, the State of Az. (Gov. Douchy), and Mercury Insurance

Adbam

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mike has the most coverage but I read somewhere that usaa might have rideshare coverage. ..idk. I know other companies have it also.

Uberfenix

Do they really expect us to pay out of our pockets for a TNC policy at these rates?
A
According to what I read from the emails UBER is sending, the new insurance is optional, like if you want to have an enhanced coverage while waiting for a trip, if not the basic UBER insurance will be on, this is what i'm talking about:

" Should you decide not to obtain Farmers' rideshare coverage, Uber will maintain state required auto insurance on your behalf. "

What Does Farmers Rideshare Coverage Include?
While Uber already holds auto liability insurance for you during the time you are logged onto the app but not on a trip, the new Farmers Rideshare product gives you the choice to meet your own individual needs by selecting your own coverage limits and additional coverages -- like comprehensive and collision, which protect against damage to your vehicle -- during this same period.

I was not able to find specific info on what are the current coverages limits from UBER, so I can't compare,but I should have that in old emails

Mike T

At the risk of sounding ignorant, does this mean that our personal insurance policies are no longer valid for ride sharing and we have to get commerical insurance to continue on with Uber?
If your company doesn't provide the TNC endorsement, yes you'll need to switch. You do NOT need an expensive, commercial policy. You need a regular car insurance policy from a company that offers the TNC endorsement. Currently, Mercury is the only company that covers all 3 phases as there are some gaps if you use some of the other companies that only cover phase 1.

Mike T

A
According to what I read from the emails UBER is sending, the new insurance is optional, like if you want to have an enhanced coverage while waiting for a trip, if not the basic UBER insurance will be on, this is what i'm talking about:

" Should you decide not to obtain Farmers' rideshare coverage, Uber will maintain state required auto insurance on your behalf. "

What Does Farmers Rideshare Coverage Include?
While Uber already holds auto liability insurance for you during the time you are logged onto the app but not on a trip, the new Farmers Rideshare product gives you the choice to meet your own individual needs by selecting your own coverage limits and additional coverages -- like comprehensive and collision, which protect against damage to your vehicle -- during this same period.

I was not able to find specific info on what are the current coverages limits from UBER, so I can't compare,but I should have that in old emails

Uberfenix,
Effective 3-1-2016 the new insurance is NOT optional per the Arizona statutes. In Arizona, Uber does not cover phase 1 and the coverages in 2 and 3 have limitations.

Jiggie

You can get appropriate insurance for a reasonable price. My broker recently switched me over and it was about 15% more, but for better coverage than I had before, as well as now being actual rideshare insurance.

If people want to get quoted, I can give you her information. I don't get any kick backs for the recommendations, but I'd rather those who I share the road with have the appropriate insurance. Just shoot me a message.

Mike T

You can get appropriate insurance for a reasonable price. My broker recently switched me over and it was about 15% more, but for better coverage than I had before, as well as now being actual rideshare insurance.

If people want to get quoted, I can give you her information. I don't get any kick backs for the recommendations, but I'd rather those who I share the road with have the appropriate insurance. Just shoot me a message.
Jiggie, What insurance company are you currently with?

Jiggie

The company I'm with is Mercury, but again, a broker can shop you against several others. Private message me if interested in broker info.