• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Area related questions

MLopez

Hello All,
I may be possibly relocating to the Gilbert area by the end of the year but I have some questions I hope you can help me with:
What is the best carrier in the area for Uber purposes (best signal/price)?
How's the market? at the moment I only Uber on Saturday afternoon for around 9 hours, I know there is a lot of factors at play, but what would be an average gross earnings in that scenario in the Phoenix Market?
What is a good area to live in taking cost/distance to good Uber areas/safety into account considering my other source of income will be located in Northwest Gilbert?

Thank you in advance for your responses.

FXService

Why the hell would you willingly choose anywhere other than Phoenix (est of central and north of Indian School Rd), Scottsdale, Tempe, or Paradise Valley?

Gilbert, Chandler, Queen Creek, Mesa, Avondale, Anthem, Goodyear, Glendale, Peoria, Litchfield Park, are all the 'hood. You will probably be burglarized before the end of the year, if not worse.

MLopez

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why the hell would you willingly choose anywhere other than Phoenix (est of central and north of Indian School Rd), Scottsdale, Tempe, or Paradise Valley?

Gilbert, Chandler, Queen Creek, Mesa, Avondale, Anthem, Goodyear, Glendale, Peoria, Litchfield Park, are all the 'hood. You will probably be burglarized before the end of the year, if not worse.
Thank you for the info, I'm completely unfamiliar with the Phoenix area that's why I wanted to get some info from you guys.

Gilbert is ok on Saturday. Sometimes people from that area travel closer to the center of the metropolitan PHX area. All cell carriers should be ok in the area. As you drive you may encounter connectivity problems with your current carrier. You won’t know the limits until you experience them. Prolly best not to spend a bunch of money to drive at first because your existing equipment will probably work fine. What platforms do you drive and what type of vehicle do you own?

BillyBob444

Use Verizon. T-Mobile has spotty reception as do the cheap carriers. AT&T is not much better and do not work well when you go north to Flagstaff area

Abbacab

I have lived in Mesa for 29 years and have never been burglarized so you do not know what you're talkin about I don't know where you live or where you come from but I guess you must think it's better than where everybody else comes from
Post automatically merged:

Thank you for the info, I'm completely unfamiliar with the Phoenix area that's why I wanted to get some info from you guys.
His info is BS

taxisuper

I have lived in Mesa for 29 years and have never been burglarized so you do not know what you're talkin about I don't know where you live or where you come from but I guess you must think it's better than where everybody else comes from

His info is BS
Well said. Based on his post I'd say MLopez is still trying to figure out where the AP is located. According to his profile he came from SFV. May mean the San Fernando Valley in LA which is indeed the hood.

Abbacab

Well said. Based on his post I'd say MLopez is still trying to figure out where the AP is located. According to his profile he came from SFV. May mean the San Fernando Valley in LA which is indeed the hood.
Depends on where at in the San Fernando valley Encino Van nuys there's there's plenty of rich rich houses sfv thousand oaks plenty of places that are high-end

taxisuper

Depends on where at in the San Fernando valley Encino Van nuys there's there's plenty of rich rich houses sfv thousand oaks plenty of places that are high-end
Yep depends on where. Kinda of like you have certain parts of Peoria, Glendale, Avondale etc. that are OK and then there is the rest of the West Valley. Lived in LA for 8 years and the SFV is spotty at best.

YourPrivateDriver

gilbert is top 20 for safest cities in the us. way more crime in phoenix even in your beloved arcadia

Scissorz

Burglary happens in homes and businesses.

Calling Gilbert the hood isn’t accurate. If you are worried about being robbed, just stay out of Tempe. And I would work Sunnyslope before I’d work Paradise Valley. The tweekers there tip better than PV residents do if you’re driving other than SUV etc

Verizon is the only option. There’s dead spots with every other carrier and it will cost you money.

MLopez

Gilbert is ok on Saturday. Sometimes people from that area travel closer to the center of the metropolitan PHX area. All cell carriers should be ok in the area. As you drive you may encounter connectivity problems with your current carrier. You won’t know the limits until you experience them. Prolly best not to spend a bunch of money to drive at first because your existing equipment will probably work fine. What platforms do you drive and what type of vehicle do you own?
I'm currently with Sprint, but been thinking to switch to T-Mobile for a while, so just wanted to get a feel for what was good in that area since I only pay for service not for the device. At the moment only Uber X on a Ford Fusion.

Yep depends on where. Kinda of like you have certain parts of Peoria, Glendale, Avondale etc. that are OK and then there is the rest of the West Valley. Lived in LA for 8 years and the SFV is spotty at best.
Yes I do currently live in San Fernando Valley, in a city called North Hills, some people would consider my area hood but I never had a problem.
I do agree the valley is spotty.

gilbert is top 20 for safest cities in the us. way more crime in phoenix even in your beloved arcadia
My main job has been selling us these stats as well. I see there is some contradicting opinions but I do appreciate all your responses.

Burglary happens in homes and businesses.

Calling Gilbert the hood isn’t accurate. If you are worried about being robbed, just stay out of Tempe. And I would work Sunnyslope before I’d work Paradise Valley. The tweekers there tip better than PV residents do if you’re driving other than SUV etc

Verizon is the only option. There’s dead spots with every other carrier and it will cost you money.
Thank you for your info, are long trips rare? meaning to places like Tucson?Also, I currently have to travel 20 miles south to locate myself in a better area (LA core) since where a live is not too busy for Uber. Just trying to avoid those dead miles by living in a area that is busy already.

Last edited:

Scissorz

I'm currently with Sprint, but been thinking to switch to T-Mobile for a while, so just wanted to get a feel for what was good in that area since I only pay for service not for the device. At the moment only Uber X on a Ford Fusion.

Yes I do currently live in San Fernando Valley, in a city called North Hills, some people would consider my area hood but I never had a problem.
I do agree the valley is spotty.

My main job has been selling us these stats as well. I see there is some contradicting opinions but I do appreciate all your responses.

Thank you for your info, are long trips rare? meaning to places like Tucson?Also, I currently have to travel 20 miles south to locate myself in a better area (LA core) since where a live is not too busy for Uber. Just trying to avoid those dead miles by living in a area that is busy already.
Gilbert should be fairly busy. Be patient when starting and just wait for the ping that takes you to a busier area- Sky Harbor, Chase Field etc.

Also, we are dead serious about Verizon here. No other carrier has the coverage they do. I’ve had Sprint and T-Mobile and both of them did not provide the connectivity that Verizon does. Even if you have 4-5 bars on Sprint, you will disappear from Uber’s system.

Last edited:

MLopez

Gilbert should be fairly busy. Be patient when starting and just wait for the ping that takes you to a busier area- Sky Harbor, Chase Field etc.

Also, we are dead serious about Verizon here. No other carrier has the coverage they do. I’ve had Sprint and T-Mobile and both of them did not provide the connectivity that Verizon does. Even if you have 4-5 bars on Sprint, you will disappear from Uber’s system.
Yeah I know Sprint is shitty even here in LA, only reason I'm still with them is for the "Free" Hulu. The T-Mobile idea was for LA but now with the relocation I will check Verizon rates for sure.

Scissorz

Yeah I know Sprint is shitty even here in LA, only reason I'm still with them is for the "Free" Hulu. The T-Mobile idea was for LA but now with the relocation I will check Verizon rates for sure.
The rates are terrible. I am most definitely not shilling for them. Just weigh the costs and benefits of switching. If you are working a few hours on a weekend, it might not be worth it.

AzAppDriver

The rates are terrible. I am most definitely not shilling for them. Just weigh the costs and benefits of switching. If you are working a few hours on a weekend, it might not be worth it.
I am only part-time so TMobile was best for me. Yes service is spotty, and I have had issues, especially during high demand areas or during events. But they do have hard to beat rates.

Scissorz

I am only part-time so TMobile was best for me. Yes service is spotty, and I have had issues, especially during high demand areas or during events. But they do have hard to beat rates.
I’ve had issues with Verizon too in high traffic areas, so it’s not a cure all. I am pretty certain that the extra cost is more than made up for if you are doing this full time. Part time drivers might be ok with the spotty coverage.

YourPrivateDriver

I have ATT and had no problems until recently. I used to have a 20gb plan and was going over and they were slowing me down. So I switched to unliminted and didn't have any problems until last night. I got to old town and got a select ping. Accepted it and the app froze and the ping disappeared. Then my internet crapped out. I left the area and everything worked fine. So I am going to have to go to ATT and get a fix. I can't have problems in old town as that is where I get a lot of rides