1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Featured Are you ready to put this crap on the roof of your car?

Discussion in 'News' started by BurgerTiime, Jan 4, 2017.

?
  1. No way!

2. For sure!

3. Only if they pay me!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Tenderloin

Tenderloin Well-Known Member

Well theres demand on pink mustaches somehow.. people been selling them for 120$ a pop

Ubercycle likes this.
  2. Tenderloin

Tenderloin Well-Known Member

Also someone can take all the components out and use them for something else. For example a crackhead can easily create a microwave machine out of it

Another Uber Driver likes this.
  3. Oscar Levant

Oscar Levant Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV

Its' really not needed, I do fine without such a cumbersome thing on top of my car.

Blackout 702 likes this.
  4. Oscar Levant

Oscar Levant Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSUV
    Not if you have a limo license, I used to drive for 'Cabousine' in Palm Desert, CA, and they looked just like cabs, they had toplights just like cabs, except it said Cabousine, not Taxi ( they're not allowed to say taxi, of course ) though they operated using TCP limo licenses. they werent' allowed to take hails, though we worked the Marriot, getting hailed by bellman, just like cabs. There was no taxi service in Palm Desert, so no one cared. The year was 1990, and they didn't have meters, only a dash mounted mileage counter, which we used to multiply miles times 1.20 per mile, ( and now, 27 years later, we are working for $1.10 per mile ).

Scratchington, LadyDi and El Janitor like this.
  5. Max Weber

Max Weber Active Member

needs to be magnetic mount, battery operated, rechargable at the end of your shift

6. mghtyred

mghtyred Well-Known Member

NO WAY. I see this thing as being nothing but trouble. Heck, my guess is they don't roll this out until they get rid of us. It will be on the self driving cars.

El Janitor likes this.
  7. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Many cities in USA have specific laws forbidding any car but a taxi to have a lighted roof sign.
    Boston, NY, Charlotte all do.
    The reason TK dropped this idea is his lawyers saw the $$$$ flying out the door fighting hundreds of thousands of tickets and impounds nationwide.

8. TwoFiddyMile

TwoFiddyMile Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    Regarding pizza delivery boys...
    Most taxi authority cops watch them like hawks, the line between delivering a pizza and becoming an occasional bandit cab is very thin.

phillipzx3 likes this.
  9. LadyDi

LadyDi Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Looks like the Chase looking logo is very real. I saw one here in Maryland. If it was the U, I would use it. Nope. Nope. and Nope.

What BentleyK9BentleyK9 said

I agree with you UbercycleUbercycle. I use a cup holder phone mount now. It sits next to the gear shift. Let me know if you want a link or image of it in my car. Having it lower has been way more effective for my needs. I just wish my CaseMate case would still work on my phone when using the cup holder mount. Yep, have to take it off as the phone is too wide. Ah well... better than the goosneck mount that I had.

RaffiRaffi I used to replace MY photo with the license plate of my car. You can't believe how much hot water I was in for not "obeying" the my photo has to be there rules. And still today, no image of my car is seen on this app. SMDH No one and I mean no one has asked me what I look like in around 900+ rides now. But... how many ask the color and/or make of my car?? 800+

Ubercycle likes this.
  10. phillipzx3

phillipzx3 Well-Known Member

Nope. Only the cost of fuel. People who drive a car to work don't get to deduct squat. Yes, there are a few exceptions. But for 99% of most commutes, there is no deduction for anything.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  11. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yeah, this is a really stupid design, regardless.

The pizza signs are magnetic and say not to drive over 55 mph (although I have). If you have a sun roof they can be impossible to place well. They also cause wind noise depending on the design and the car. Most have a cable to plug in which goes in through the door or window and can cause it to leak in heavy rain or they have batteries which must be charged. If there's a cable of course it's in the way of anyone getting in and out the car.

Basically they CAN be a real pain in the ass.

12. Fuzzyelvis

Fuzzyelvis Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Not true. Dominos does not carry vehicle insurance on the drivers nor do they require the drivers have anything beyond regular state minimum.

13. JimS

JimS Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    It'd only be on when you have a paired ride and you're enroute to pickup, I'd imagine. But this is an old model. The Beacon should sit inside the car.

Real problem is that if pax selects red, blue, yellow or green, it could be against local/state regulations regarding lights visible from the front of the car that could be construed as an emergency vehicle.

IN LONDON

14. JimS

JimS Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    You're still an idiot. Pizza deliverers don't have $3,000/year commercial insurance policies. Uber drivers ARE covered by James River. Actually, most Pizza drivers are at greater risk than TNC drivers.

15. phillipzx3

The stereotype is cab drivers paid for medallions. My "medallion" didn't cost me a cent. Why? Because they don't exist in Portland, or any other cab company withing a 1000 miles of Portland.

Uber medallions cost 3 million dollars. I know this because I keep reading it on the internet so it must be true.

People should stop writing about the taxi medallions UNLESS they make clear which market they're talking about. The OP at least mentioned New York. But many times it's a blanket statement. :)

I guess the ironic part of the medallion is Uber drivers learned this NYE why you don't flood the street with cabs, Uber or otherwise.

16. phillipzx3

Get in a wreck with someone driving for Uber and you'll learn first hand about this "insurance" you believe Uber drivers have. Get ready to fight Uber/James River in court.

17. JimS

JimS Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Everyone I'm aware of has been taken care of. That's not very many, but I haven't heard any non-funding of the policy. Sure, there are disputes over the $1500 deductible. Happens with Lyft, too.

18. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Well-Known Member

But yet they require the drivers insure their cars as well. Sounds like a "pretentious" commercial insurance if you ask me.

Fun fact...

If you didn't have collision protection on your personal insurance when you got hit with a pax in the vehicle, Uber's insurance doesn't cover you.

[​IMG]

El Janitor likes this.
  19. Ubercycle

Ubercycle Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Although Portland is Oregon's largest city, it has less than 600k population, while new york city has more than 8 million.
    Portland has about 500 taxi permits as of 2012, while new york city has 13,237 taxi asFebruaryuary 2011.
    So how do you compare new york to portland?
    Where there is no much business and population, the city controls the number of cabs by PERMITS, instead of the medallion.
    Medallion are sold through auction, means pay more to win, permits has only fees and fines, penalities.
    for more info about your city please check here: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/citycode/?c=28593#cid_562707
    As a cab driver, you're not required to buy a medallion or get a permit, you can lease the cab from the owner.
    please take a look, to see what other Portland drivers say :http://portlandtribune.com/pt/9-new...ortland-taxi-market-disrupting-cab-companies-

20. Ubercycle

Ubercycle Active Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I noticed ( from your pic) that your is different, does Uber cover this kind of taxis?;);)