Are YOU part of the problem?

J. D.

If you're the get-away driver for the bank heist but didn't actually hold the gun, you are still guilty of bank robbery.

No one will deny the standard rates paid to an Uber driver are ridiculous low. Uber has been scamming unsuspecting people into driving for years now by outright lies. "We cut your rates so you can make more money!"

But some drivers have figured out that they can actually beat the losses by only driving during surges. But by doing so, aren't you supporting the scam?

Uber is now considered to be the wealthiest privately-held company in the world. There are some very intelligent people at the helm of the company who know exactly what they are doing and if they have devised a way to prey on the gullible, should that be supported?

Reminds me of the sweat shops of the early 1900's. Yes, even they had a line of people ready to work for near nothing.

Michguy01

Most people I pick up on a surge (which is all of my driving), almost every single person complains about the surge. People are going to grow sick of it very fast. I cant tell you how many times I heard, "I tried and tried to get a ride, but no Uber available....then suddenly a 2.0+ surge happens and suddenly there are 3 or 4 cars around".

Riders are suffering as well as drivers, this company is driving itself into the ground.

ATX 22

No. When Uber announced 24/7 uberPOOL at $0.85 per mile and dropped regular rates to $1 per mile I deleted the app and notified Uber that our business relationship was finished.
If you are driving surge only, then you're definitely a part of the problem.

tohunt4me

Most people I pick up on a surge (which is all of my driving), almost every single person complains about the surge. People are going to grow sick of it very fast. I cant tell you how many times I heard, "I tried and tried to get a ride, but no Uber available....then suddenly a 2.0+ surge happens and suddenly there are 3 or 4 cars around".

Riders are suffering as well as drivers, this company is driving itself into the ground.
Time to LYFT OFF.

rocksteady

No, only driving the times of highest demand is a response to the problem. Uber created the problem. Telling drivers they're part of the problem is like telling those sweatshop workers they're part of the problem. Technically, yeah they are but are they really the ones you want to be pointing the finger at? Like they have better options but they choose to work at the sweatshop! Same with Uber drivers. Raise the rates and more drivers will start taking normal fares again. The pax are spoiled. All they needed was a taste of the bargain basement fares. Anything higher and now they feel they're being taken advantage of. They're just out of touch. The normal fare is now 1/3-1/4 the price of a cab, before tip. So educate the pax that thinks they're right to complain. Remind them of what a smelly, rude, POS, ineffecient, cab ride costs. They want to complain about a 2x surge, tell'em, "still much cheaper than a cab." Tell them to not look at the surge price in isolation. Instead, average the cost of all their rides. I bet the total comes to a great deal still.

Had some snarky fratboy named Trace, or Brock, or Conner, or Brodie was it, hop in the car and the first stupid thing out of his mouth was, "So you been driving all night or just get on for the inflated prices?" The smug, cheap, prick. "Just got on," I replied. Not true, but there was a point to be made. "Still cheaper than a cab," I said. That he agreed with. Then I said, "The normal fare is some bargain basement shit." He laughed. You got to match that fratboy attitude. That's all they respect.

Last edited:

El Janitor

If you're the get-away driver for the bank heist but didn't actually hold the gun, you are still guilty of bank robbery.

No one will deny the standard rates paid to an Uber driver are ridiculous low. Uber has been scamming unsuspecting people into driving for years now by outright lies. "We cut your rates so you can make more money!"

But some drivers have figured out that they can actually beat the losses by only driving during surges. But by doing so, aren't you supporting the scam?

Uber is now considered to be the wealthiest privately-held company in the world. There are some very intelligent people at the helm of the company who know exactly what they are doing and if they have devised a way to prey on the gullible, should that be supported?

Reminds me of the sweat shops of the early 1900's. Yes, even they had a line of people ready to work for near nothing.
Welcome to Capitalism and The United States of America, God bless us all!

Modern-Day-Slavery

I made a thread about this. Take a look Let's make it happen. https://uberpeople.net/threads/we-can-disrupt-uber.62929/

Reese99

I drive surge or no surge.

But IMHO, the guys waiting for a surge are absolutely the REASON there is a surge: To draw them online during high demand.

The surge isn't there for any other reason.

I sure don't knock the guys waitin' on a surge to drive. If it's about maximizing returns per mile, that's the only game in town.