Are you obligated to have specific chargers in your car?

CaptainToo

Of course we are not obligated to have any cords, but with the equipment necessary to offer two universal cords in the back seat costing about $30 why not put a mile on the paxes faces? Its cheap.

About a third of my riders make a positive comment about the charger being available.

While it may only produce a few tips, it contributes to making a 4.98 driver rating easy. Someday that may matter.

JaxUberLyft

I'd like to put a mile on their faces with studded snow tires.
Tire chains work even better!
Post automatically merged:

I have a 4-way cord - 2 apples, micro USB, and USB-C...costs about $10 from Amazon and pax are quite often appreciative - puts a smile on their faces without needing studded tires that are so hard to find here in Florida.

[email protected]

I was wondering in case a pax has a phone with a unique charging port. Are you obligated to provide a charging port to the pax if you already have other chargers that don't support his/her phone?
Thoughts?
You're not obligated to have ANY chargers. However, if you do have a charger out in the open for passengers, it's best to have one that supports *most* devices. Either have a charger that supports most devices or none at all. I bought this one (which I have plugged into the back seat port and tangled through a mesh divider so it doesn't get stolen):

If a passenger has a weird type of charging port that's not one of the three common ones, they should know to carry one around with them as it's unlikely anyone around them will have it.

The first time a passenger gets annoyed that I don't have their type of charger, the charger goes in the trash. 😁

Mash Ghasem

Are we obligated to have a CD player? Cassette? 8 track?
Nope, only BlueRay is obligatory.
Post automatically merged:

I was wondering in case a pax has a phone with a unique charging port. Are you obligated to provide a charging port to the pax if you already have other chargers that don't support his/her phone?
Thoughts?
No we're not obligated to provide a charger, however, it can be helpful as the simplest "amenity" to offer. I've had many instances where my pax's phone was about to die and they specifically tipped because I have charging available. My other view of this is that until the pax leaves my car, I want to keep their phone charged and functional so if there are any needs for the pax to make a change to the trip or make a call related to the trip, they can.

You already have to keep your own device charged and need a charger, so might as well get one with multiple USB ports to cover yourself plus 1 or more pax. Add to that 1 or more multi-headed charger cable like below, and you've got 99% of phones covered.

Last edited:

ABQuber

That's what I thought, I was having this debate with someone who said if you're going to have a charger then you should support as many types as possible.
I drive a 2016 Chevy Impala 6 cyl. Limited.Tons of space inside and I can fit a Prius in my trunk. Guy gets in 1 day after loading 5 large bags in the trunk and complains he had to put the 6th inside.

Tells me I need to buy a bigger car.

Told him no, you need to order a bigger Uber.

Sometimes 1 stars are just worth it.

Timbrr

My phone sits in a wireless charging cradle. I have micro USB, USB c, and lightning in my glove box. But I only "have" them if it's a long enough ride to warrant use and if the pax asks nicely.

Jon77

🍎 Apple charging only 🍎
I am only obligated to provide a safe rape free ride.
No mints, no gum, no water, and no f’s given.
Most riders are decent folks so they don’t mind.
And for the small minority that expect these extras as a Rideshare birthright, I love ❤ to educate them about the reality of being a buck a mile passenger in a strangers vehicle.
Sit down, shut up, and quietly pray to your god that you get to your destination without a steel toe Doc Marten deeply lodged in your starfish. ‼

DriverMark

Are you obligated to provide a charging port to the pax if you already have other chargers that don't support his/her phone?
Thoughts?
Obligated is rather..... final.... I'm not "obligated" to provide anything but a ride from Point A to Point B.

However, I do try to provide a certain level of service and be polite as it costs me nothing to do so. And, if they have their own cord they are welcome to plug it in.

Monday had a 45+ minute ride. Girls were chatting in the back. She was at 15% on her phone. Never asked for a cable, but when we pulled up for a stop, I asked what type of cord they had and tossed her the cable to charge up. Even put her on the fast charging port. Costs nothing to be polite.