1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

"Are you from here" grrrrrr

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Im not a cabbie, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Im not a cabbie

Im not a cabbie New Member

So after a year of driving, my biggest pet peeve is when uber/lyft arent spitting out the customers preferred rt and they start barking out "are you from here" in a **** tone, I always say yes or the next town over, I'm curious to what all you drivers say when these paxholes start barking

Trafficat and Rakos like this.
  2. CJfrom619

CJfrom619 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I say born and raised with my chest puffed out

3. daave1

daave1 Well-Known Member

"Yep! Just following the GPS, my friend."

reg barclay likes this.
  4. SpongemanGreg

SpongemanGreg Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I say yes. I don't get my panties tied in a knot over that question.

5. Notch Johnson

Notch Johnson Well-Known Member

I let them pick the route, even if they are wrong. Let them enjoy the ride. I get that question a lot but my market does get many out of the area drivers, no big deal.

MadTownUberD likes this.

6. 1.5xorbust

1.5xorbust Well-Known Member

I tell them I’m from “over there”.

7. kdyrpr

kdyrpr Well-Known Member

I rarely get that but when I do I simply tell them I'm following the GPS and you pay the same no matter what route I take.

BostonTaxiDriver likes this.
  8. Ubersinger

Ubersinger Member

I always say the southeast side. I think it's just small talk. Imo.

BostonTaxiDriver likes this.

9. Ribak

Ribak Well-Known Member

Depends on the pax. If it is someone I would like to engage in conversation, I respond with the truth and see how things progress.

Otherwise, I say that I just got released from prison and am using UBER/LYFT to get back on my feet. That usually leads to a quiet ride, but on occasion a pax will want to hear all the details of my incarceration.

10. Skorpio

Skorpio Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Any pax that bark its 1*..

11. henrygates

henrygates Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Never had them bark at me. I've heard a couple whispering in the back while they stare at their iPhone, probably running Waze by Fisher-Price.

A few will mention "why are we going this way".

I always comment the same. Google maps factors in traffic and lights so it gives the most efficient route, but if you have a preferred route feel free to let me know.

Usually shuts them up.

CJfrom619 and Uber Crack like this.
  12. reg barclay

reg barclay Moderator Moderator

Driving:
    UberX
    If I'm actually far away from my own city, in an area I'm unfamiliar with, I'll often tell pax something like, "I don't usually work around here, but I just dropped off another passenger in this area", maybe I'm wrong, but often lack of local knowledge will show, and I think this makes it look better. I don't think Uber pays enough to warrant studying the maps of our entire state before we start driving, and I assume reasonable pax understand this.

I had a pax just yesterday in my own town, barking directions at me a split second before every turn, in an impolite way. The main redeeming feature of the ride was that the way he took me actually made me more money from the ride, as it was longer in distance. The guy treated me like I didn't know where I was going, and also had a very condescending attitude. Thankfully, I was able to hold my cool, wait for him to exit the car, then gave him the rating I felt was warranted.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Rakos, SpongemanGreg and upyouruber like this.
  13. Gilby

Gilby Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Yesterday I had a businessman who was on his phone when I picked him up at Foot Locker headquarters. He had a suitcase and briefcase, so I figure he must be going to the airport. But the address he entered was a residential location in the city. Hmmm. Then I hear him say on the phone, "I am in an Uber heading for the airport right now." A bigger Hmmm.

His call ends and I ask him if he is going to catch a flight, because the address he entered is not the airport. He says it's a mistake and he tries to change the destination, but can't figure out how. Meanwhile, I take him to the airport 15 miles away.

We had a nice conversation. He lives in Syracuse, I used to work in Rochester, talked careers, retirement plans, etc. and when I drop him off, he tips $10 cash. Sweet. Now I try to end the trip and rate him and the app freezes. It times out, I try again... and again.... and again. Remember, I am ending the ride a long way from the destination he entered. I try to cancel and it says wait until the trip ends and then ask for a fare review. But I can't end the damn trip!

Now I am heading back to the city and wondering if I DO end the trip will the poor guy be charged too much because we wandered all over central Wisconsin. Finally I am able to go offline and back on and the charge appears correct. Whew!

14. Coachman

Coachman Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I don't like it when a customer complains. That's the quickest way to ruin a ride for me.

15. jazzapt

jazzapt Well-Known Member

This is what I usually get. Or the variation of "Where are you going?", or "I've never gone this way before". Substitute Waze here and my answer is the same.

I love it when pax thinks they know the super quickest way to get somewhere. Then as soon as I take their detour, the ETA is now 4 minutes later.

T&W likes this.
  16. MadTownUberD

MadTownUberD Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    "Gump! Why did you reassemble this rifle so quickly??!?"

"BECAUSE YOU TOLD ME TO, DRILL SAR GENT!"

Andre Benjamin 6000 likes this.