Are you embarrassed to be a rideshare driver?

Reynob Moore

Its not and never has been a matter of making money. I can gross 2k a week here. I just feel like rideshare drivers are looked down on and its something I have a hard time dealing with in my mind. Funniest part of it all is everyone us always super cool. I have a 5.0 rating on lyft and a 4.90 rating on uber, I've done a total of around 6600 career rides. I drive a 2019 Toyota camry. I get a lot of compliments on the car. But I would be embarrassed to pick someone up that I know or to tell ppl thst I drive for ubet and lyft. If I really busted my ass I could gross 3k a week here. I also enjoy doing it for the most part.

Lissetti

Rebel Honey Badger
Article Manager
I suppose how you are perceived depends on your rider base. Some types of people are elitists and view anyone who works in the service industry as beneath them. Some people who have very little, feel empowered by having their own "chauffeur " and either abuse that or embrace it. Then others understand that in a high cost of living city, more than one job is necessary to put food on the table and respect anyone with the work ethic to hold down a few jobs.

Does the "Career Ant" get frowned down upon? I suppose by some, I noticed a difference in how my pax treated me if my college textbooks were within view versus hidden. However I never hid that I drove from people in my life, and often wore my Ant shirt in public, to which I explained the meaning behind to anyone who asked. This was 2016 to 2019 though. I imagine the public has a different opinion of the risks of rideshare in a pandemic world.

RideShare_Hustler

Its not and never has been a matter of making money. I can gross 2k a week here. I just feel like rideshare drivers are looked down on and its something I have a hard time dealing with in my mind. Funniest part of it all is everyone us always super cool. I have a 5.0 rating on lyft and a 4.90 rating on uber, I've done a total of around 6600 career rides. I drive a 2019 Toyota camry. I get a lot of compliments on the car. But I would be embarrassed to pick someone up that I know or to tell ppl thst I drive for ubet and lyft. If I really busted my ass I could gross 3k a week here. I also enjoy doing it for the most part.
If you’re embarrassed to pick someone up in a Camry then perhaps you need to lease a Mercedes.

I make 3-3.5k average a week, I believe that’s in the top 10%.

SHalester

Not at all. Isn't my career. Now, if I was just out of college (or HS) and said my career was going to be RS, THAT would be embarrassing.

Otherwise if one is making bank to pay bills, live etc WGAF which job you are doing to achieve that? While RS is not a career, it certainly is a paying job (for most).

MyJessicaLS430

OP, What are you embarrassed for? While driving human around is no where close to be a career, this is an honest, paid job. While I am not proud of the fact that I am a Uber driver, I don't feel shameful either. All those earnings have funded my road trips. Recalling the day receiving approval to drive, I was so excited about "Hey, I am going to become a Uber driver!!". Fast forward to today, there is nothing worth celebrating.

Since you mentioned that you are using a 2019 Camry, I assume you bought it new. Don't you worry about depreciation driving a brand new car? I hope you didn't buy the car just for Ubering. As for me, I bought the car that I like which is probably an overkill for Ubering; particularly after Select is terminated. The fuel economy is extremely inferior compared with your Camry but I find driving as a hobby, something to kill time. In fact, I find it fun to be a Uber driver.

in fact, I have delivered food to a surgeon I know. His admin crews have all dropped their jaws but I couldn't care less. By contrast, he tipped me $15 and thanked me the other day we met in the building. People judge using their standards. As long as you are able to pay your own bills, who cares what others think?

QUOTE="observer, post: 6514254, member: 6016"]
I used to clean up cow poop, feed roaches and worms, butcher cows.

No shame at all in making a living at any job.
[/QUOTE]
Would you mind to share what do you feed the roaches for??

Last edited:

Stevie The magic Unicorn

I hear how little my cowokers make doing uber/lyft and it makes me laugh...

You only made $200 working all night on NYE?

HAHA!, I made $500 driving a cab, Sucks to do uber

"What did you make after paying the cab company?"

"Alright then, i made $690, $500 after"

observer

OP, What are you embarrassed for? While driving human around is no where close to be a career, this is an honest, paid job. While I am not proud of the fact that I am a Uber driver, I don't feel shameful either. All those earnings have funded my road trips. Recalling the day receiving approval to drive, I was so excited about "Hey, I am going to become a Uber driver!!". Fast forward to today, there is nothing worth celebrating.

Since you mentioned that you are using a 2019 Camry, I assume you bought it new. Don't you worry about depreciation driving a brand new car? I hope you didn't buy the car just for Ubering. As for me, I bought the car that I like which is probably an overkill for Ubering; particularly after Select is terminated. The fuel economy is extremely inferior compared with your Camry but I find driving as a hobby, something to kill time. In fact, I find it fun to be a Uber driver.

in fact, I have delivered food to a surgeon I know. His admin crews have all dropped their jaws but I couldn't care less. By contrast, he tipped me $15 and thanked me the other day we met in the building. People judge using their standards. As long as you are able to pay your own bills, who cares what others think?

QUOTE="observer, post: 6514254, member: 6016"]
I used to clean up cow poop, feed roaches and worms, butcher cows.

No shame at all in making a living at any job.
Would you mind to share what do you feed the roaches for??
[/QUOTE]
Roaches, worms and crickets are fed to pets and animals in aquariums and zoos, they are also used for fishing. My daughter has a pet lizard that eats worms or crickets.

There are also companies starting up that raise them for human consumption since on a pound per pound basis they convert feed in to protein better than other animals.

Raising them is actually a pretty good business.
Post automatically merged:

15 roaches -$22.50

Screenshot_2020-09-14-19-15-30-1.png

You really only need three males. Five is too many, they just kill each other.

The one in the pic is a female.

Last edited: