Are you Ashamed or Proud of driving U/L?

I don’t know what it is, but I feel like passengers look down on anyone doing Rideshare, and as such I make sure I mention this is my part time gig. I do it after my full time job. I guess in a way a way, I am ashamed. I don’t even have the Uber sticker on my car. Does anyone else feel the same way, or am I the only one?

MHR

Welcome to the forums. ☺

I'm old enough to have developed an attitude of I honestly no longer care what people think.

It's an honest way to make some money and it's at least a step above being a telemarketer.

Edited to add ~ trade dress is not required in my territory and I've never used it. I like flying under the radar of the taxi cartel in the big cities.

DoYouEvenLyft?

Why feel ashamed? Its honest work. Same thing with being a cab driver, just honest work.

Now, if your car:

• Is being held together by duct tape
  • Leaks fluid
  • Makes noises it's not supposed to make
  • Vibrates more than your wife's Battery operated boyfriend
  • Has more Cracks in the windshield than a broken mirror
  • Smells like LORD KNOWS WHAT in the interior
Then yes...you should be ashamed.

IR12

I don’t know what it is, but I feel like passengers look down on anyone doing Rideshare, and as such I make sure I mention this is my part time gig. I do it after my full time job. I guess in a way a way, I am ashamed. I don’t even have the Uber sticker on my car. Does anyone else feel the same way, or am I the only one?
If anyone should be ashamed it’s ridesharing and PAX that know they pay nearly nothing but expect limousine service.

You can do a job well & make honest money even in a dishonest industry but we all have our limitations.

I was never ashamed but I became discouraged enough to stop when I got tired of being on the wrong side of the money.

Last edited:

Mkang14

I've never felt embarrassed or made to feel ashamed about driving Uber.

It's different for men and women. I think men get judged by others and insecurities women have about their career path contribute to their own feelings of being judged.

The assumed disposition of male vs female drivers has a big part to do with this. Male Drivers can be seen as perverts who lack ambition, while females are looked as hard working, taking a risk to make ends meet.

Negative impressions can be overcome by one on one interaction. It always goes back to confidence and positive attitude. Remind yourself that you work hard and take care of business. Once you feel better it will come through to others.

1.5xorbust

It's different for men and women. I think men get judged by others and insecurities women have about their career path contribute to their own feelings of being judged.

The assumed disposition of male vs female drivers has a big part to do with this. Male Drivers can be seen as perverts who lack ambition, while females are looked as hard working, taking a risk to make ends meet.

Negative impressions can be overcome by one on one interaction. It always goes back to confidence and positive attitude. Remind yourself that you work hard and take care of business. Once you feel better it will come through to others.
I don’t like being outed on the perversion and lack of ambition. Nice avatar.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

I think me talking about my other job, is meant to quash the assumption that if one is driving people around, they must be some loser. The taxi industry has always been predominantly crowded with foreigners who spoke little English. On my second day as a uber driver, I picked up 2 guys and a woman from a hotel in Columbia. It was my first time having 3 total strangers in my car. I tried to have conversation but realized they didn’t want to talk, so I kept quiet. I honestly think I had a panic attack, cos all of a sudden I was feeling too hot and had to turn on the air conditioning. By good luck it was a short ride, but what I noticed the men atleast responded to my greeting. The woman did not. Had I known what I know now, I could have ended the ride halfway, for not feeling comfortable. They acted like executives yet, they ordered the Uber X. This goes for all service industries. I have chatted with waiters and waitresses who said the same experience of customers who seem mean and eager to look down on them. So I guess me talking about my other job, is not so much about being ashamed, but letting the passenger know that I probably make more money than them. Oh the ghetto ones who can’t even get a car in their names are the worst. Had this one girl talk to me like I was her personal chauffeur. Left me 1 star because I followed uber navigation. I knew it was her, cos when I dropped her off, I said thanks and good night, and she didn’t respond.
So in a nutshell, Iam not ashamed of making an honest living, but I still will go out of my way to make sure the snobs know not to look down on me. Lol.

Mkang14

I think me talking about my other job, is meant to quash the assumption that if one is driving people around, they must be some loser. The taxi industry has always been predominantly crowded with foreigners who spoke little English. On my second day as a uber driver, I picked up 2 guys and a woman from a hotel in Columbia. It was my first time having 3 total strangers in my car. I tried to have conversation but realized they didn’t want to talk, so I kept quiet. I honestly think I had a panic attack, cos all of a sudden I was feeling too hot and had to turn on the air conditioning. By good luck it was a short ride, but what I noticed the men atleast responded to my greeting. The woman did not. Had I known what I know now, I could have ended the ride halfway, for not feeling comfortable. They acted like executives yet, they ordered the Uber X. This goes for all service industries. I have chatted with waiters and waitresses who said the same experience of customers who seem mean and eager to look down on them. So I guess me talking about my other job, is not so much about being ashamed, but letting the passenger know that I probably make more money than them. Oh the ghetto ones who can’t even get a car in their names are the worst. Had this one girl talk to me like I was her personal chauffeur. Left me 1 star because I followed uber navigation. I knew it was her, cos when I dropped her off, I said thanks and good night, and she didn’t respond.
So in a nutshell, Iam not ashamed of making an honest living, but I still will go out of my way to make sure the snobs know not to look down on me. Lol.
I get what you're saying about the cold female pax. But my mind doesn't immediatly go to they think they're better. I think:
  1. They might be having a bad day.
  2. They dont feel comfortable making small talk with strangers.
  3. They're jealous 🤷‍♀️ 💯
But I understand location and other factors play a role so who really knows.

Also please don't let snobby pax get to you in that way. It may lead to escalation and early deactivation for a nonissue. The situation you described didnt warrant a pax boot, in my opinion.

mch

Perverts who lack ambition?😂😂

Wrb06wrx

Z.F.G.
look I could be sitting on my couch collecting from the government but I choose to work for a living most people are kind of impressed when I tell them my day job it's a living but I still need extra cash which is why I drive.
At the end of the day nobody should be looking down on anyone as we all bleed red and we share DNA with chimpanzees so nobody is perfect

Legalizeit0

I had a horrible Valentine’s Day, got sexually assaulted by a gay man, had a college student puke in my car and some guy on crutches came out of a bar thinking I was his ride and when he found out I wasn’t he hit my truck with his crutch.

but I love doing this, it’s not my main source of income, but it gets me out of the house and it is never the same.

I am able to come home and save the most outrageous videos to my computer as well as sharing the funny stories with my wife.

I don’t think anyone should be ashamed about trying to make money. Also, I am sure we are saving lives by getting these drunk people home safely.

mch

To answer the original question no, Im not ashamed. Ive lived a shitty life compared to some and a great life compared to many. I have plenty of regrets and so much to be thankful for at the same time. Im probably even doing better financially than a lot of my pax. Most of them are people on their way to work or young people who cant afford cars because they're living in the big city doing their Carrie Underwood impression. If they're looking down on me let them. Who cares. Whatever they payed six figures to school for will be replaced by AI in 10 years anyway so they'll be more eff'ed than I am.

Looking down on others professions comes from deep insecurity. Its so obvious. Something is missing. If they are well off its even worse because money and success hasn't been able to fill that void they have.

Amos69

I do not think that at all! In fact quite the opposite is what I encounter. Many people are intrigued by my success in rideshare. Among other things. People love my rig. We have fun and entertaining conversations.

Your feeling about RS drivers being looked down on is just groupthink pressed onto you from this site and other online locales, and possibly from your own ID.

Do you often feel that people look down on you?