Are we wasting our time? Utilization Rates will tell you.

Papa Sarducci

To calculate your hourly utilization rate take the number of hours spent giving rides and divide by the number of hours online, multiply that by 100.

For example, 40 hours online with 20 of those hours actually spent giving rides yields a 50% utilization rate.

20/40=.50*100=50%

Note: You have to manually gather the amount of time spent actually driving pax around, the number is not readily available from the app or website.

Mileage utilization is much easier to calculate, simply divide your miles driven for Uber for the week by the total number of miles driven altogether, multiply by 100.

For example, you drove pax around for a total of 300 miles, you tracked your mileage from Monday to Sunday and came up with 450 miles. Divide 300 by 450 and you get 0.666 multiply by 100 and you had a 66.6% utilization rate on mileage.

300/450=0.666×100=66.6%

So, now you have those numbers, so what good are they?

Your Hourly Utilization Rate can help you determine your actual hourly wage. Being online for Uber doesn't mean you are actually earning money during that time. You are only actually 'working' for Uber when pax are onboard.

Last edited:

tohunt4me

To calculate your hourly utilization rate take the number of hours spent giving rides and divide by the number of hours online, multiply that by 100.

For example, 40 hours online with 20 of those hours actually spent giving rides yields a 50% utilization rate.

20/40=.50*100=50%

Note: You have to manually gather the amount of time spent actually driving pax around, the number is not readily available from the app or website.

Mileage utilization is much easier to calculate, simply divide your miles driven for Uber for the week by the total number of miles driven altogether, multiply by 100.

For example, you drove pax around for a total of 300 miles, you tracked your mileage from Monday to Sunday and came up with 450 miles. Divide 300 by 450 and you get 0.666 multiply by 100 and you had a 66.6% utilization rate on mileage.

300/450=0.666×100=66.6%

Your Hourly Utilization Rate can help you determine your actual hourly wage. Being online for Uber doesn't mean you are actually earning money during that time. You are only actually 'working' for Uber when pax are onboard.
Ahhh,Guido,Buon giorno !

tohunt4me

20/40=.50*100=50%

300/450=0.666×100=66.6%

I should be paid for standby also.

dirtylee

Just reread the post.

Your logic is off. If I drive a pax on the highway 20 miles in 30 minutes. Then I have 30 minutes dead time, my utilization is 50%.
If I go to hip part of town & stay busy for an hour with minimum fares galore, I'll still make less money than above.

Last edited:

Papa Sarducci

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just reread the post.

Your logic is off. If I drive a pax on the highway 20 miles in 30 minutes. Then I have 30 minutes dead time, my utilization is 50%.
If I go to hip part of town & stay busy for an hour with minimum fares galore, I'll still make less money than above.
Try using more data than just one hour, obviously if you compare one busy hour to a slow hour there isn't enough info to get an average hourly wage. Maybe use 8 hours or a week, see what you come up with.

tohunt4me

Standby costs.
Onboarding of drivers creates additional excess standby.
Cutting rates exponentially compounds the adverse effects.
System unravels.
My costs must be recoverable,or Uber business model is rendered unsustainable.

Unsustainable Uber business model means 54 billion dollar valuation suddenly becomes equitable to a bag of cat poop.

It would be in their best interest.
Thats why.

Schrödinger's Car.

Last edited: