Are we picking anyone up?

afrojoe824

Please Note: If not for my 2x Platinum boost and precious metals ride count, I'd probably be skipping out on uberpool.

Picked up this lady on Ocean in Santa Monica. UberPool and I'm thinking great, hopefully there's a matched ride to bring my ride count up so I could go to my spot where I get long rides. My mentality is if I get a certain number of rides early, the sooner I could get the long rides.

Lady goes in my car. Say the obligatory "hello how are you" BS. Start trip and she's going to Van Nuys. I'm thinking 'great might get matched rides".... 3 blocks down driving she goes

"ARE WE PICKING ANYONE ELSE UP!?"

2 things come to mind - She's either REALLY CHEAP or she's a new rider and doesn't know how UberPool works. Probably thinks she'll get more of a discount if we pick more people up; which is a common misperception for new riders.

I probe into her situation. Ask if she commutes to SM via Uber for work and she says "yes almost everyday! UberPool is really affordable. Except this morning, took like 2 hours because we picked up 3 other people".

So BAM! Realized her question earlier was because she's cheap and uses uberPool to save money but still want the car alone.

1 hour later (traffic) I drop her off to her place ready to 1 star her only because of that stupid question. Had I picked up other people on the way, I'm pretty sure she would've been upset. So I used that scenario to justify the 1 star. She doesn't leave my car. She said I'm going to give you a 5 star, so give me one. I select 5 star but thinking I won't submit, I will just press my iPhone home button.

NOPE! This lady is one smart Asian thai. She says "Press submit"..... So I oblige. I press 5 stars and submit... Not only Is this lady cheap, she's manipulative too. I drove away and had uber change the pax rating to 1 star. Now, I don't know if they actually do it, but damn first time I've met someone who manipulates their score. I know for sure she's not a 4.89 Pax.. I regretted giving her a 5 star in her face and should've just selected 1 star and submitted it while she was in my car just for that personal pleasure of seeing her fuming..

second2noone

Hahaha she's asian she knows what she is doing.

Shes a cheap a$$ and they hope they ride alone. No better satisfaction then picking someone else up on the way.

Also you don't know if she will 5 star you. I hate when they try to be sneaky and see what we rate them by looking over our shoulder. I tell them ride will end when you exit car. Any feeling they try to be sneaky then it's a 1*.

afrojoe824

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hahaha she's asian she knows what she is doing.

Shes a cheap a$$ and they hope they ride alone. No better satisfaction then picking someone else up on the way.

Also you don't know if she will 5 star you. I hate when they try to be sneaky and see what we rate them by looking over our shoulder. I tell them ride will end when you exit car. Any feeling they try to be sneaky then it's a 1*.
I'm starting to hear that question more and more with these UberPax though. So you definitely wonder if they know whats up. X ride for Pool Fares

CaptainJackLA

Please Note: If not for my 2x Platinum boost and precious metals ride count, I'd probably be skipping out on uberpool.

Picked up this lady on Ocean in Santa Monica. UberPool and I'm thinking great, hopefully there's a matched ride to bring my ride count up so I could go to my spot where I get long rides. My mentality is if I get a certain number of rides early, the sooner I could get the long rides.

Lady goes in my car. Say the obligatory "hello how are you" BS. Start trip and she's going to Van Nuys. I'm thinking 'great might get matched rides".... 3 blocks down driving she goes

2 things come to mind - She's either REALLY CHEAP or she's a new rider and doesn't know how UberPool works. Probably thinks she'll get more of a discount if we pick more people up; which is a common misperception for new riders.

I probe into her situation. Ask if she commutes to SM via Uber for work and she says "yes almost everyday! UberPool is really affordable. Except this morning, took like 2 hours because we picked up 3 other people".

So BAM! Realized her question earlier was because she's cheap and uses uberPool to save money but still want the car alone.

1 hour later (traffic) I drop her off to her place ready to 1 star her only because of that stupid question. Had I picked up other people on the way, I'm pretty sure she would've been upset. So I used that scenario to justify the 1 star. She doesn't leave my car. She said I'm going to give you a 5 star, so give me one. I select 5 star but thinking I won't submit, I will just press my iPhone home button.

NOPE! This lady is one smart Asian thai. She says "Press submit"..... So I oblige. I press 5 stars and submit... Not only Is this lady cheap, she's manipulative too. I drove away and had uber change the pax rating to 1 star. Now, I don't know if they actually do it, but damn first time I've met someone who manipulates their score. I know for sure she's not a 4.89 Pax.. I regretted giving her a 5 star in her face and should've just selected 1 star and submitted it while she was in my car just for that personal pleasure of seeing her fuming..
I never do that because I will never End Trip until they are out of the car completely and the door is shut. We are still responsible for them at that time, and if they have something in your car or trunk.

UberMikeyX

I drove away and had uber change the pax rating to 1 star. Now, I don't know if they actually do it, but damn first time I've met someone who manipulates their score. I know for sure she's not a 4.89 Pax.. I regretted giving her a 5 star in her face and should've just selected 1 star and submitted it while she was in my car just for that personal pleasure of seeing her fuming..
I had one yesterday that was worried he may not get to his destination in time from K-Town to Le Puente. I told him to order UberX if he's in a hurry. Because you're on a long trip, I could easily pick up 5 or even 6 more people, making you even more late. Then he had the audacity to tell me to get on the commuter lane. I said, "Sorry, but Uber doesn't pay us enough to afford a FasTrak transponder".

I tell people all the time "there's a massive Uber boycott on Uberpool, because we aren't compensated enough to waste our time. Sometimes, we make as little as $1.51, making Pool not worth our while to accept these rides."

One driver accepted my girlfriend's Pool request the other day. He accepted it, saw her standing there and drove around in the parking lot, then canceled the trip as a "no-show" after 5 minutes." I told her to report it to get her $5 back and to never order UberPool again.

Mike78

Never accept UberPool, all my riders rate on X 1* or 2* (surge 2.0 and up give them 4*) short ride 1*, with tips definitely 5* even short trip

KekeLo

This reminds me of myself.:p

You're a bad boy.:p

WMUber

I am seeing a trend in UberPool. They are not "Cheap @$$" passengers. They are simply lower middle class. They cannot afford a car, but have enough money not to have to spend 2 hours and 3 bus rides to commute.

So, the first half of afrojoe824 's story does not bother me. The customer is trying to save money, but does not want a bus ride. At this point I would not knock her ratings.

On the other hand, the second part of afrojoe824 's story the passenger turns out to be manipulative (and maybe afrojoe824 caught this early on). I never had my ratings held hostage, but there have been a few posts here from drivers that had that experience. The irony here is, I would have 5-starred her up to the point she asked for 5-Stars.

But here is one thing to consider. Many drivers in this forum feel that passengers who take pool do not deserve 5-Stars. This is a double-edged sword. Once passengers realize that there are drivers who practice that belief, they will react. Some, like afrojoe824 's will be blunt. Others may wait until they see their rating change (either up or down) and then rate the driver. Who knows, maybe she had a bad experience with a driver and now takes preemptive measures to preserve her ratings.

I was not in the car. The passenger could have been rude from the beginning, or turned rude at the end. Maybe she is truly a 3-Star rider or is a disgruntled 5-Star rider.

money time

This reminds me of myself.:p

You're a bad boy.:p
I do it better.
Just slide the confirm arrival about couple blocks away.why do i need to drive there.i dont understand this. Better to collect the 4$ without going there. I did it once on A pool from dtwn to hwd. 3 times while pax1 was in the car.they smiled and no problem extra 12$ compensation for this 85¢.
There you go travis.read it thats what we do.

afrojoe824

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am seeing a trend in UberPool. They are not "Cheap @$$" passengers. They are simply lower middle class. They cannot afford a car, but have enough money not to have to spend 2 hours and 3 bus rides to commute.

So, the first half of afrojoe824 's story does not bother me. The customer is trying to save money, but does not want a bus ride. At this point I would not knock her ratings.

On the other hand, the second part of afrojoe824 's story the passenger turns out to be manipulative (and maybe afrojoe824 caught this early on). I never had my ratings held hostage, but there have been a few posts here from drivers that had that experience. The irony here is, I would have 5-starred her up to the point she asked for 5-Stars.

But here is one thing to consider. Many drivers in this forum feel that passengers who take pool do not deserve 5-Stars. This is a double-edged sword. Once passengers realize that there are drivers who practice that belief, they will react. Some, like afrojoe824 's will be blunt. Others may wait until they see their rating change (either up or down) and then rate the driver. Who knows, maybe she had a bad experience with a driver and now takes preemptive measures to preserve her ratings.

I was not in the car. The passenger could have been rude from the beginning, or turned rude at the end. Maybe she is truly a 3-Star rider or is a disgruntled 5-Star rider.
I always give 5 star even if they take an UberPool IF they were nice and not rude at all. But the moment they start asking about picking other people up and then start complaining about their previous pool ride taking forever because they had to take other people, then that's when I 1 star. I always probe to see if they are legit trying to save money or legit trying to be CHEAP by wanting X service (which is already affordable and inexpensive) but paying Pool price. They want pool without actually picking people up. That's when I rate down.

I don't rate down if they don't tip. I don't rate down if they 1 mile or 2 miles. I however rate 1 star if they're going half a mile. But in this case, I asked probing questions and I determined she was being cheap and wanted the car to herself and she was also being manipulative. I can be blunt, as you said, but I am also fare.

But you're right, anyone saying give me a 5 star and i'll give you a 5 star then watching over your shoulders to make sure you did it warrants a 1 star in my book. You don't need to watch over my back to make sure I gave it to you. Now, if they walk out the car and say "Now don't forget about my 5 star! I'll 5 star you" and that's the end of it, i'll most likely 5 star the pax. But this one was another kind of manipulative person lol

Awesome2

Pool Riders are hoping they are not match with another rider, they see taking a pool ride is less $$ then a X ride....I been accepting pool rides because of getting more riders to add to my daily total.

eman1122

I have very little sympathy for POOL pax. From my experience, they want to save money but then punish you in the process if there are other rides matched during their trip. Like it's the driver's fault that the pax decided to exchange exclusivity for a minimal discount. It's a terrible feeling knowing that no matter what you do on that POOL ride, your rating is going to take a hit.

WMUber

I always give 5 star even if they take an UberPool IF they were nice and not rude at all. But the moment they start asking about picking other people up and then start complaining about their previous pool ride taking forever because they had to take other people, then that's when I 1 star. I always probe to see if they are legit trying to save money or legit trying to be CHEAP by wanting X service (which is already affordable and inexpensive) but paying Pool price. They want pool without actually picking people up. That's when I rate down.

I don't rate down if they don't tip. I don't rate down if they 1 mile or 2 miles. I however rate 1 star if they're going half a mile. But in this case, I asked probing questions and I determined she was being cheap and wanted the car to herself and she was also being manipulative. I can be blunt, as you said, but I am also fare.

But you're right, anyone saying give me a 5 star and i'll give you a 5 star then watching over your shoulders to make sure you did it warrants a 1 star in my book. You don't need to watch over my back to make sure I gave it to you. Now, if they walk out the car and say "Now don't forget about my 5 star! I'll 5 star you" and that's the end of it, i'll most likely 5 star the pax. But this one was another kind of manipulative person lol
Thanks for the clarification. I pretty much do the same thing.

On Saturday, I drove a guy that lives in Van Nuys and his girlfriend lives in Santa Monica. At 10:00 pm, I knew a bus ride would take all night to get him to Santa Monica. He chose Pool, but still had to pay a surge rate. The guy was legit; just trying to see his girl without going broke. I rated him five stars.