Are there places you won't go?

Gwoae

As I try to really hone this craft I try to make adjustments. I have had 6 pickups from strip clubs now and all 6 have been issues. Are there places that you avoid 100%?

partyvan

As I try to really hone this craft I try to make adjustments. I have had 6 pickups from strip clubs now and all 6 have been issues. Are there places that you avoid 100%?
If the surge is high enough. I cant think of anyplace I wouldn't go.

Tihstae

Mulholland drive. Parts of the Hollywood Hills are just a pain too.

Yes, I hate the Hollywood Hills. I'm in Ventura County and when I get a pax going there it is nice and dreadful at the same time. That last 5 to ten miles on the 50 mile trip takes half the time of the drive.

The 405 south.

Isn't that where you park waiting for your next ping? The 405 seems to be a parking lot more than a freeway.

rubidoux

There's nowhere I wont go but theres one college here where every ping seems to be 5 passengers or kids with full red cups or some other situation where I have to put my mommy hat on and enforce rules, which I find irritating if I end up doing the ride at all and pisses me off if Ive driven to them and have to cancel. I havent had any problems at the other colleges.

I havent had any bad experiences picking up at strip clubs. And some of the strip club rides have been pretty positive. People seem to be willing to travel pretty far to go to their favorite strip club.

JimKE

I stay out of high crime areas for the most part. I'll pick up in most areas early in the morning because the thugs are asleep, but not in the afternoon or evening.

If I get a ride TO a high crime area, I select No New Requests en route and bail out immediately after dropoff.

rubidoux

I stay out of high crime areas for the most part. I'll pick up in most areas early in the morning because the thugs are asleep, but not in the afternoon or evening.

If I get a ride TO a high crime area, I select No New Requests en route and bail out immediately after dropoff.

I actually gravitate toward the "high crime areas". The people I pick up and drop off in those neighborhoods are almost always (can't think of one that wasnt) very friendly and courteous and Ive gotten a few long rides there. Im not in any way trying to talk you into changing your mind, but I think its worth considering that not all poor people are "thugs". I havent had any passengers that Id call thugs or even anyone that has made me nervous that Id picked up in rough neighborhoods.

Tihstae

I actually gravitate toward the "high crime areas". The people I pick up and drop off in those neighborhoods are almost always (can't think of one that wasnt) very friendly and courteous and Ive gotten a few long rides there. Im not in any way trying to talk you into changing your mind, but I think its worth considering that not all poor people are "thugs". I havent had any passengers that Id call thugs or even anyone that has made me nervous that Id picked up in rough neighborhoods.

And in my limited experience people from "those neighborhoods" are not only friendly but are the best tippers.

swingset

I have a few places I will cancel on if I get a ping there. Just not worth the hassle/risk. I mostly avoid these by choosing better neighborhoods to drive in, but there are some sketchy bars that if I see it pop up I won't serve.

There are some event locations in my town that, even in a surge, are not worth it. Much too hard to get into, too hard to coordinate your idiot pax finding you, too much restricted traffic flow to get out. You sit in a parking lot earning next to nothing. God bless the boobs that go work those areas, because it frees up the surrounding neighborhoods and I always do very well during big events without having the stress and fuss of dealing with them.

As I've said in other threads on this issue, even if everything else was equal and the pax themselves were good, you're still exposing yourself to higher risks driving through these neighborhoods - the statistics cannot be denied. Higher rates of accidents, higher rates of uninsured motorists, higher rates of jaywalking accidents, higher rates of road rage incidents, higher rates of robbery, assault, drug use, take your pick.

Your life, your car, but you're deluding yourself if you think that you're not rolling the dice more in high-crime areas.

sthriftybroke

Same. I actually like going to parts of Detroit because while they don't usually tip, they tend to be really nice.

ShinyAndChrome

I am snobby but have found the same. The people in the high crime areas tend to he poorer so lack a car and the rides are almost all me bringing them to work, sometimes far. They tend to be good rides. When you pickup there you know the ride is going to be fine. As opposed to picking up an xl at a college to never know what the heck you are getting into.

Uber Crack

Author
Home. I wont go home until everyone is asleep.
Hahahaha :biggrin: relatable!

I will go anywhere. I'm just very careful in the hood and never go down a dead end road. If there are a lot of people loitering in a road I try to choose a different route if it's possible. A few times I've been spooked, like once I went down a dead end by mistake around 3 am and there were boards up with RIP spray painted all over. I've never done a 3 point turn so fast. The Pax are usually great from those areas. Mainly trying to get to work in my experience.

Last edited: