Are There Boundaries to Where You Can Pick Up Fares?

Alloverthemap

Hi,

I'm tiptoeing my way into Uber world. Getting the app to upload to my Android has been futile thus far as it requires the involvement of GooglePlay, which has been unresponsive to my efforts to gain its cooperation.

If anyone has advice on this, I'd be very grateful to receive it, but the purpose of this inquiry is to better understand the limitations on being a Uber driver.

In my ideal scenario, I could deliver a passenger then sit and wait in a place with WiFi and do some work on my laptop until another customer nearby needs a ride. I hope that much is realistic.

But what about going out of state? I live in the Springfield, Mass., area (western Mass.) and twice now people have asked me if I was willing to drive to the airport in Hartford, Ct. when I told them of my Uber aspirations.

This struck me as a funny question. Why wouldn't I? That's a long trip and presumably well-compensated.

But then tonight I realized that perhaps once I'm at the airport I wouldn't be authorized to wait for a passenger who needs to go back to my area with me. And maybe that's why these people asked about whether I'd go to the airport.

Is my concern justified? Do the rules prohibit you from picking up passengers once you're outside a certain radius of your home base?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Spotscat

These are your specific boundaries --

PhotoEditor-1504435497836.jpg

Yes, the Uber rules won't allow you to pickup a rider outside of this area, You can pickup a rider inside this area, and take them anywhere they want to go - Boston, New York City, Miami, Seattle, San Diego - and Uber will pay you for it (eventually).

But once you're outside the area, it's a long and lonely trip home.

There is a way that you can negotiate an up-front fee from the passenger to cover the expense of the return trip. I've never had to do it, but I know it can be done and there are threads and posts in this website that will inform you how and when it can be done.

Good luck! :smiles:

Where did you get this map with the boundaries ? Also, I thought I could do pick up and drop offs anywhere in Mass? If i pick up in Boston and drop off in springfeild; I can't pick up in the boundaries shown in this map?

Spotscat

Where did you get this map with the boundaries ? Also, I thought I could do pick up and drop offs anywhere in Mass? If i pick up in Boston and drop off in springfeild; I can't pick up in the boundaries shown in this map?

Type in uber dot com slash cities slash the name of your city and it should being up a page with a map on it.

The page for Boston looks like this...

Screenshot_20170903-111912.png

There is, what we used to call, your AO - Area of Operations.

reg barclay

These are your specific boundaries --

View attachment 154488

Yes, the Uber rules won't allow you to pickup a rider outside of this area, You can pickup a rider inside this area, and take them anywhere they want to go - Boston, New York City, Miami, Seattle, San Diego - and Uber will pay you for it (eventually).

But once you're outside the area, it's a long and lonely trip home.

There is a way that you can negotiate an up-front fee from the passenger to cover the expense of the return trip. I've never had to do it, but I know it can be done and there are threads and posts in this website that will inform you how and when it can be done.

Good luck! :smiles:
Just to add something to this. While every market has it's boundaries (like the map shown) there are instances when drivers from one market (or even state) can pick up in another. For example, where I live, NJ drivers can pick up in CT and vice versa. I don't know what determines this, but it seems to depend somewhat on the Uber regulations in each place and maybe other factors. So it's hard to know beforehand which other markets (if any) you can pick up in, without asking either other drivers or Uber.

Tihstae

That map doesn't mean it is the only place you can pickup. Your best bet is to ask Uber.

I can pickup anywhere in California (I think). I know I have picked up in 4 counties, 3 of which are not in the map of my home area by going to the cities page.

Coachman

Some airports don't allow you to use your destination feature within the queue area. So even if you can pick up at Harford, there's no guarantee that you'll get a ride from the airport back toward home. Check with your local forum for the details.

CowboyFriar

You should be able to pick up fares in all of Mass. Conn. and RI. I know as a RI driver, I can accept fares in all of those areas.

Another Uber Driver

I would have enough complaints in this area if I got one from The Capital of Your Nation to Baltimore Airport, one from there to a suburb north of Baltimore then one from there to Delaware.

Up there, you could get one from Amherst to Bradley Field, one from Bradley Field to New Haven, one from New Haven to Bridgeport and one from Bridgeport to the East Bronx. Now you have a three and one-half to four hour drive to get home. From Delaware, for me, it would be two hours or less.

I do not like the long ones on base rates. If I could get away with it, I would decline anything that took more than twenty minutes on anything less than 1,5 and even then, I would have to think about it if it were less than 1,7. Here, at 1,6-1,8, the customer pays to Uber what he would pay to a cab driver, although the Uber driver receives considerably less than what the customer pays to Uber. I will decline to transport anything more than fifty miles at anything less than 1,8.

CowboyFriar

I would have enough complaints in this area if I got one from The Capital of Your Nation to Baltimore Airport, one from there to a suburb north of Baltimore then one from there to Delaware.

Up there, you could get one from Amherst to Bradley Field, one from Bradley Field to New Haven, one from New Haven to Bridgeport and one from Bridgeport to the East Bronx. Now you have a three and one-half to four hour drive to get home. From Delaware, for me, it would be two hours or less.

I do not like the long ones on base rates. If I could get away with it, I would decline anything that took more than twenty minutes on anything less than 1,5 and even then, I would have to think about it if it were less than 1,7. Here, at 1,6-1,8, the customer pays to Uber what he would pay to a cab driver, although the Uber driver receives considerably less than what the customer pays to Uber. I will decline to transport anything more than fifty miles at anything less than 1,8.

Fair enough, but when you drift away from your home area, you can just set your home area as a destination and accept fares along the route home. I have done that on several occasions when I ended up in Boston. Worked great every time.