• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Are the wait fees enough?

You get the ping, you accept it. According to the ping, the pickup is 5 minutes away - "that's not bad" you think. "I can arrive, pick up my passenger, get them to their destination, and move on to the next ride!" you ponder with positivity. You do some calculations in your head: "as long as the destination is more than 5 minutes from the pickup, it should be a pretty good profit for me!" you are psyched.

You arrive at the pickup, looking for the tell-tale sign of your passenger: a lit-up cell phone screen and a craned neck. You see no one who matches that description, you start looking for anyone who could potentially be your passenger - nobody. You re-check the pin on the map - "yup, I'm practically right on top of it!" - your positivity is waning. You make sure the clock for wait fees is counting down, it is. You shift your vehicle into 'park'; now you wait.

A minute passes by, and you begin to question your ability to read a map - something you've done hundreds of time. "No, I'm in the right place". You do the calculations in your head again - the wait fee that is forthcoming isn't even worth your time. Let alone this in-between time where you assume the passenger is looking for you.

The 2nd minute passes by and you begin to wonder if they got the wrong pickup; it happens sometimes. You send a text: "I'm parked on Lake and University". You expect a response from a frantic rider trying desperately to find your vehicle - no response comes. At least soon you'll start earning that wait fee. You do your calculations again - that wait fee is only a few cents. Your profit is shrinking with every minute.

The 3rd minute passes and now you just want to know the story. Who orders a ride and doesn't show up to take it? Why are they not here? After all, they called for the ride! You didn't solicit them to take a ride. You weren't driving up to random people on the street saying "hey, you need a ride?" No, they called for a ride. And your mandate as a driver was to show up quickly so as to not waste their time. But, here it is, you are here and they are wasting your time! In the same amount of time you have currently waited, you could have completed a ride and gotten paid. But no, this selfish entitled person who will undoubtedly expect premium service for a meager price also expects you to wait for them as if your car, service, gas, maintenance and time are all worth the few dollars they will ultimately begrudgingly pay you. You feel like every person that walks by, every car that drives by, every eye that peers out of the windows of nearby buildings are trained on you: "why is that vehicle just sitting there? Why have they been there SO long?"

The 4th minute passes, and now it's a race. Will the clock strike five minutes before they try to lunge for your car door? In less than a minute, this selfish person will get their comeuppance and they will learn what it means to waste your time. You will earn your cancellation fee, and you can move on the next ride. At this point, the cancellation fee carries more profit than picking up this rude person and having that silent, seething ride - no matter how far it is. You hover your finger over the screen of your cell phone, waiting for that "Cancel Ride" button to pop up. You see a person meander out of a building, their cell phone in their hand - they're not even in a hurry. They look up, see your vehicle, and start approaching it - this is your passenger. They reach for the door handle, and you check the time left on the clock - 15 seconds. You roll your eyes and unlock the door, they trundle in. They absentmindedly slam the door as they get in, you confirm their name. You half expect them to say they're waiting for one more passenger; they don't, it's just them. You swipe the "start ride" bar and begin the trip. It's just a few blocks. Your positivity is completely gone, you spend the rest of the ride in silence. Your passenger having no idea how their actions affect your mood or profit, will go on about the rest of their day without even paying you a second thought.

Do you tell them they wasted your time? Do you save it for the rating? Does the rating do anything to improve their punctuality for future rides? Should Uber take this sort of thing more seriously?

Comments

MadTownUberD

The Trendy Transporter
You get the ping, you accept it. According to the ping, the pickup is 5 minutes away - "that's not bad" you think. "I can arrive, pick up my passenger, get them to their destination, and move on to the next ride!" you ponder with positivity. You do some calculations in your head: "as long as the destination is more than 5 minutes from the pickup, it should be a pretty good profit for me!" you are psyched.

You arrive at the pickup, looking for the tell-tale sign of your passenger: a lit-up cell phone screen and a craned neck. You see no one who matches that description, you start looking for anyone who could potentially be your passenger - nobody. You re-check the pin on the map - "yup, I'm practically right on top of it!" - your positivity is waning. You make sure the clock for wait fees is counting down, it is. You shift your vehicle into 'park'; now you wait.

A minute passes by, and you begin to question your ability to read a map - something you've done hundreds of time. "No, I'm in the right place". You do the calculations in your head again - the wait fee that is forthcoming isn't even worth your time. Let alone this in-between time where you assume the passenger is looking for you.

The 2nd minute passes by and you begin to wonder if they got the wrong pickup; it happens sometimes. You send a text: "I'm parked on Lake and University". You expect a response from a frantic rider trying desperately to find your vehicle - no response comes. At least soon you'll start earning that wait fee. You do your calculations again - that wait fee is only a few cents. Your profit is shrinking with every minute.

The 3rd minute passes and now you just want to know the story. Who orders a ride and doesn't show up to take it? Why are they not here? After all, they called for the ride! You didn't solicit them to take a ride. You weren't driving up to random people on the street saying "hey, you need a ride?" No, they called for a ride. And your mandate as a driver was to show up quickly so as to not waste their time. But, here it is, you are here and they are wasting your time! In the same amount of time you have currently waited, you could have completed a ride and gotten paid. But no, this selfish entitled person who will undoubtedly expect premium service for a meager price also expects you to wait for them as if your car, service, gas, maintenance and time are all worth the few dollars they will ultimately begrudgingly pay you. You feel like every person that walks by, every car that drives by, every eye that peers out of the windows of nearby buildings are trained on you: "why is that vehicle just sitting there? Why have they been there SO long?"

The 4th minute passes, and now it's a race. Will the clock strike five minutes before they try to lunge for your car door? In less than a minute, this selfish person will get their comeuppance and they will learn what it means to waste your time. You will earn your cancellation fee, and you can move on the next ride. At this point, the cancellation fee carries more profit than picking up this rude person and having that silent, seething ride - no matter how far it is. You hover your finger over the screen of your cell phone, waiting for that "Cancel Ride" button to pop up. You see a person meander out of a building, their cell phone in their hand - they're not even in a hurry. They look up, see your vehicle, and start approaching it - this is your passenger. They reach for the door handle, and you check the time left on the clock - 15 seconds. You roll your eyes and unlock the door, they trundle in. They absentmindedly slam the door as they get in, you confirm their name. You half expect them to say they're waiting for one more passenger; they don't, it's just them. You swipe the "start ride" bar and begin the trip. It's just a few blocks. Your positivity is completely gone, you spend the rest of the ride in silence. Your passenger having no idea how their actions affect your mood or profit, will go on about the rest of their day without even paying you a second thought.

Do you tell them they wasted your time? Do you save it for the rating? Does the rating do anything to improve their punctuality for future rides? Should Uber take this sort of thing more seriously?
Let me guess...parked in the Fresh Market pickup spot waiting on a Lucky 777 resident?

xgamrgeekx

I think if it were me, I would leave the doors locked for that 15 seconds, roll the window down just enough for them to hear me say, "waiting sucks, doesn't it?" and let them watch as I hit cancel ride at the end of that 15 seconds.

My favorite, noticing the pick up is at a high school. Roll up with my denial speech prepared.
Kid: Hey, ride for (parent's name, more than likely)?
Me: Yeah, how old are you?
Kid: I'm with my older brother.
Me: Okay, how old is he? (eyeballing a scraggly bearded young man walking toward us)
Kid: 16
Me: Sorry, no unaccompanied minors means I need someone over 18. Bye.

Last edited:

freddieman

The ones that piss me off I just drive off without cancelling and park it couple blocks. They see ur car on their app. Don’t answer any text or phone. Ur trying to get them to cancel. The longer u wait it out, they are outside as well and can’t call another uber. Ur basically teaching them what it feels like to wait. Wintertime cold even better.....standing out in pouring rain bestest.

xgamrgeekx

OH! I just remembered one that reeeeeaaallly pissed me off. Driving North outta SLC to head home, still had the app on for rides along the way (I've learned to wait until out of SLC or I get sucked back in). Got a ping for a p/u at a gas station on my way out. I arrived within 2 minutes and parked as I didn't see the pax outside. Or his gps guy on the map near the pin, I realize. Great. Get the text. He'll be out soon, will you wait? Yup. (for 5 min) at 1 min: you arrived faster than I thought, can you wait 5 more minutes? I look at the clock: 7:55, kidding me? I arrived 10 minutes before the end of this guy's shift? I look at the destination, one stop on the way to drop off, both nearby. Wasn't worth it, cancelled.

tohunt4me

Even worse when they decide to have a leisurely conversation RIGHT NEXT to your car.

Uber_Dubler

I've done 5000 plus rides the past two years. Let's break that down to 2,500 per year. 2,500 rides with 2 minutes of uncompensated wait times = 5,000 minutes = 83.xxx hours of uncompensated time = 2 weeks of lost wages.

Add that to the 2 weeks of paid vacation time for most jobs which Uber drivers don't get and now you start to understand the many, many ways Uber takes advantage of its drivers.

And that's not even considering the uncompensated time driving two the pick-up point.

IR12

Neither pax or uber cares if you're waiting, blocking traffic, while your engine's running. Seems the worse the pickup location the more inconsiderate pax is.

Crosbyandstarsky

So you’re made for this job. The wait time for a person is very low. There is no reason to complain. 5 minutes and they have to be there or you get paid. It’s extremely reasonable. Cab drivers get paid nothing and wait longer. Chill out

BuckleUp

That's a whole lot of thought that goes into an uber ride.
Imagine what you could accomplish if you put all that mental energy into a worthwhile pursuit.
Now go rewatch those Shark Tank episodes, motivate yourself, hussle, stop working for da man, and make some green.

And btw your mistake at the T- 2 minute of the countdown is waiting for the paxhole. You should slide your vehicle round the nearest corner, or u-turn and move 50m up the street, in preparation for a slider. If the paxholes are not there by the 3 min mark of your arrival (2 min courtesy and 1 min wait time charge), they deserve a slider & cancel fee.

No one gives a hoot about you, but yourself. Look after yourself first, not uber, not paxholes. Maximize your $ on this BS gig until you hussle your way into a real income stream. Peace to you dude.

So you’re made for this job. The wait time for a person is very low. There is no reason to complain. 5 minutes and they have to be there or you get paid. It’s extremely reasonable. Cab drivers get paid nothing and wait longer. Chill out
You're comparing us to cab drivers? They make three times what we make on a ride. If you think that waiting five minutes on every ride is "reasonable", then I wish you lots of wait time.

Last edited by a moderator:

iheartuber

Uber needs to eblast this to every pax