Are Riders' & Drivers' REAL phone numbers being displayed on the App?

chi1cabby

I just received this screenshot via Twitter DM. The email from Uber Support reads:
"I understand that you are concern about riders seeing your real phone number on the rider app.
As of this time it is Uber's new policy to display real phone number of it's Uber partners. Because there is no more Twilio numbers, riders are seeing your real mobile numbers."

M1V15O5.jpg

Can some forum members please check into this. Also see if Drivers are receiving Riders' real cell numbers.

Thanx!

Eros76

If this is true, and I don't know if it is because I haven't gotten any email nor have ai driven with Uber for about 2.5 months. But if it is true it's the begining of the end.

Drivers will be able to call customers and vice versa and circumvent Uber altogether (watch)

Passengers will spam the number out or call at any hour, day or night.

Drivers who got past the screening with criminal type background or have their brains in backwards, can harass passengers or worse.

Has Uber lost it mind? I drove with them religiously, until they brought that UberPool crap into play. This is Miami. People here don't like to share the road much less a car ride after a club.

Beur

I just received this screenshot via Twitter DM. The email from Uber Support reads:
"I understand that you are concern about riders seeing your real phone number on the rider app.
As of this time it is Uber's new policy to display real phone number of it's Uber partners. Because there is no more Twilio numbers, riders are seeing your real mobile numbers."

View attachment 33640

Can some forum members please check into this. Also see if Drivers are receiving Riders' real cell numbers.

Thanx!
I suggest everyone grab a Google Voice number and then change your phone number with Uber.

Way back when Uber was new, pax saw our numbers and we saw theirs. There was never an abuse issue. That said my phone number for Uber and Lyft has always been a Google Voice number.

Beur

View attachment 33640

Thanx!
Just sent an email asking support, I'll post the response here chi1cabby

Eros76

Beur and Chi, thanks for the reply. I never knew about Google voice but then, I was never technical. Just got into it for this and learned enough to stay afloat. As for abuse, never had a prob either. If I ever do, I will drive to the hood and post the offenders number in every bathroom wall I can.

dirtylee

May seriously have to reconsider late night driving. Feel sorry for the few uber femmes out there. :rolleyes:

Beur

Beur and Chi, thanks for the reply. I never knew about Google voice but then, I was never technical. Just got into it for this and learned enough to stay afloat. As for abuse, never had a prob either. If I ever do, I will drive to the hood and post the offenders number in every bathroom wall I can.
Just know if you switch to a Google Voice number unless you're on Sprint and set the GV number to be your Sprint number you'll have to download the GV app.

I know for sure you have to do this on iOS, not sure about android. On iOS make your GV number a quick dial in the GV app. If you don't use the app you won't be able to call or text pax, which isn't necessarily a bad thing!

Beur

Thank you, Beur!
For the sake of safety for women Drivers, I sincerely hope that the response you received is the correct info!
I'm on the phone right now so can't save the image from the forum, otherwise I'd reply with the image for confirmation and clarification.

Eros76

Will look into Google voice...as for male drivers doing that crap all I can say is it will be seen through. I remember a time when if one had something to say, one said it. Gawky or confident. One said it. Nowadays it seems everyone is on the sly. My crew was a guy crew of drivers, so as far as I know we weren't into that game. This said, I have had female passengers blatantly give me their numbers or ask for mine. All fair among adults

Eros76

As for safety, have had some strange passengers and requests, and only 2 times did I not feel 100 safe. Luckily for me I'm 6'2" and around 240. So most people with wrong ideas don't say much.

Other than the privileged morons one deals with, I was ok. Thank God. As for older drivers and girl drivers, I do worry. It's hard enough to make a living without this constant fear.

Beur

Will look into Google voice...as for male drivers doing that crap all I can say is it will be seen through. I remember a time when if one had something to say, one said it. Gawky or confident. One said it. Nowadays it seems everyone is on the sly. My crew was a guy crew of drivers, so as far as I know we weren't into that game. This said, I have had female passengers blatantly give me their numbers or ask for mine. All fair among adults
I also have GV set so callers have to announce their name, this way if it's not the pax I'm picking up I don't answer.

Beur

As for safety, have had some strange passengers and requests, and only 2 times did I not feel 100 safe. Luckily for me I'm 6'2" and around 240. So most people with wrong ideas don't say much.

Other than the privileged morons one deals with, I was ok. Thank God. As for older drivers and girl drivers, I do worry. It's hard enough to make a living without this constant fear.
Sit Sauer is my travel companion.

Eros76

Sig Sauer would be a great travel companion for anyone. If it was good enough for MacArthur it should be good enough for anyone. Nevertheless, not having a permit for one I have always relied on the basics: Drive crazy if need be, employing rapid braking and evasive manuvers, think fast and don't drive into pitch black alleys because rider insists it's a "shortcut".