Are drivers really allowed to do this?

OutOfTheBox

This is one of the screenshots I usually see on another group of drivers. How do they not take a straight route and take the longest possible route to a destination? Uber and Lyft do not warn these kind of drivers? I always follow the route provided by Uber and only deviate if I really think an alternate route is better in terms of traffic or if the rider asks for it.Am I missing something or not a part of this game? LoL

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-04-26 at 1.18.18 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-04-26 at 1.18.18 PM.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 255

Torontofishingdude

This is one of the screenshots I usually see on another group of drivers. How do they not take a straight route and take the longest possible route to a destination? Uber and Lyft do not warn these kind of drivers? I always follow the route provided by Uber and only deviate if I really think an alternate route is better in terms of traffic or if the rider asks for it.Am I missing something or not a part of this game? LoL
If there is a bad accident or road closures on QEW or 401 I could see that happening

Gone_in_60_seconds

No, if the pax complains, then there will be a clawback or adjustment on the fare. This is what I HATE about Uber, they just clawback the fare without allowing the driver to provide any explanation. Never had fare clawbacks driving Lyft. :coolio::coolio::coolio:

And keep in mind the fare given to the Pax is the cheapest one, which means the shortest distance.

Aj-uber

And keep in mind the fare given to the Pax is the cheapest one said:
NO NO NO...shortest TIME...uber don’t care about distance. Ex. 5 km ride 20 mins, same destination 10 mins 10km... uber provide the estimate on second one. Two things you cant get back. Your own fart and TIME.

Actionjax

No, if the pax complains, then there will be a clawback or adjustment on the fare. This is what I HATE about Uber, they just clawback the fare without allowing the driver to provide any explanation. Never had fare clawbacks driving Lyft. :coolio::coolio::coolio:

And keep in mind the fare given to the Pax is the cheapest one, which means the shortest distance.
They don’t even notify the driver of the change anymore. They just do it and if you are not watching carefully it just goes through.

Uberchampion

The pax may have changed destination too. If you add stops it shows on the map but if you change destination it doesnt.

OP. Dont be a @@@@@@, only post your own screenshots. Not other drivers.

OutOfTheBox

The pax may have changed destination too. If you add stops it shows on the map but if you change destination it doesnt.

OP. Dont be a @@@@@@, only post your own screenshots. Not other drivers.
Why the hell someone has to abuse to prove a point? Where do you see the driver’s or rider’s name in this screenshot? It is random. May be available on google search. Please call google customer support and abuse them as well as they let the screenshot postings open on their search engine.

Don’t preach and focus on your driving.

Cheers

Uberchampion

Why the hell someone has to abuse to prove a point? Where do you see the driver’s or rider’s name in this screenshot? It is random. May be available on google search. Please call google customer support and abuse them as well as they let the screenshot postings open on their search engine.

Don’t preach and focus on your driving.

Cheers
You took the screenshot from an WhatsApp group. By posting someone's screenshot most likely shared in a closed group you risk Uber investigating their account. There are more than enough descriptors on the screen print (including date and time of the ride) for Uber to identify the rider and driver.

At the bare minimum you could have removed some of the information.

OutOfTheBox

You took the screenshot from an WhatsApp group. By posting someone's screenshot most likely shared in a closed group you risk Uber investigating their account. There are more than enough descriptors on the screen print (including date and time of the ride) for Uber to identify the rider and driver.

At the bare minimum you could have removed some of the information.
I understand your point bro. I should’ve known better. My intention was not to get somebody’s account investigated or deactivated. I had a doubt so asked a question.

However, if these drivers are really gaming the system then I would like them to be kicked out of the system anyway. I, for one, always try to play by the rules when it comes to earning an income. May be I am wrong, may be, I am still a noob here.

PS: It isn’t a closed WhatsApp Group. Some of them do this everyday by first confirming with the rider if they are new to the country or just visiting for the first time. That’s what urged me to ask this to the experienced lot as you guys know it better.

Uberchampion

I understand your point bro. I should’ve known better. My intention was not to get somebody’s account investigated or deactivated. I had a doubt so asked a question.

However, if these drivers are really gaming the system then I would like them to be kicked out of the system anyway. I, for one, always try to play by the rules when it comes to earning an income. May be I am wrong, may be, I am still a noob here.

PS: It isn’t a closed WhatsApp Group. Some of them do this everyday by first confirming with the rider if they are new to the country or just visiting for the first time. That’s what urged me to ask this to the experienced lot as you guys know it better.
I'm in the WhatsApp group this was originally posted in. I doubt anyone in that group expects what they share to be posted publicly

Here are something for you to consider. Toronto Traffic sucks. The drivers route was longer but potentially saved another hour on the trip. Try getting trapped on the QEW behind an accident ..Now imagine it with a stranger in a hurry sitting behind you. The driver could have sat there for 2 hours and made $35 or saved the pax an hour and made a bit more. Gaming the system would be taking the DVP to 407 to 410 to 403....

I will often ask a passenger if they want to take the 407 when going to the airport, almost all business pax say yes because their time is more valuable than an extra $5 or $10 added to the ride.

Ps. Plenty of innocent and guilty drivers get kicked off the system based on usually one person's perspective of what's happened.

In this case, your original post could be enough to get the driver kicked off Uber. It's not like Uber is bending over backwards to hear a drivers perspective.

One day you will have a great day driving, be happy with what you made...go home, kiss your kids, go to bed content...

Wake up the next morning deactivated because a rider (who often is never identified) said you were drunk for no reason.

Uber does not care about you and neither does the passenger. Dont fool yourself into thinking you are noble or special in their eyes. You said it best earlier

Don’t preach and focus on your driving

Last edited:

WillC

I had a trip from Victoria Park/Lawrence to Pearson. Uber app showed a routing going up on 404 to 407, cross 407 then down on 427 to Pearson. It would be a questionable route if not known it was a weekday late afternoon rush hour with heavy traffic and accidents everywhere earlier. Also, the rider may question the route if review the trip later.

I didn't follow Uber app and took 401 instead after brief checked traffic in Google map. While on 401 and 404, once I passed the exit to 404 north, Uber app rerouted the rest of the trip to 401 and the new estimated time was only 1 minute longer.

Thanks to upfront pricing, I get paid based on 404/407 route. I saved my car from another 10-15km wear and tear, as well as gas consumption. The trip will also look normal if the rider review the trip later.

When Uber app gives you weird routing, there could be some good money to be made.

Uberchampion

I had a trip from Victoria Park/Lawrence to Pearson. Uber app showed a routing going up on 404 to 407, cross 407 then down on 427 to Pearson. It would be a questionable route if not known it was a weekday late afternoon rush hour with heavy traffic and accidents everywhere earlier. Also, the rider may question the route if review the trip later.

I didn't follow Uber app and took 401 instead after brief checked traffic in Google map. While on 401 and 404, once I passed the exit to 404 north, Uber app rerouted the rest of the trip to 401 and the new estimated time was only 1 minute longer.

Thanks to upfront pricing, I get paid based on 404/407 route. I saved my car from another 10-15km wear and tear, as well as gas consumption. The trip will also look normal if the rider review the trip later.

When Uber app gives you weird routing, there could be some good money to be made.
I always thought upfront pays you the lowest fare based on the distance/time

WillC

I always thought upfront pays you the lowest fare based on the distance/time
I don't exactly know how Uber upfront pricing works. I tend to go with the most direct routes. After having couple higher payouts with weird routing in Uber app, out of the way long route, I figured that if go with a shorter route, I still get paid as if follow the weid route in the app. Usually, the shorter routes are just slower by one or few minutes.