Are Binghamton & Syracue That Boring?

Maven

Why is this the least active forum in the Entire State of New York ??!
The first 4 listed below were all started about the same time.
How is driving in this area? What stuff is happening? Is Lyft better than Uber?
After almost 2 months, what do think of being an Uber/Lyft driver?

Messages / Forum

Upstate-NY
47 / Binghamton & Syracue, and 10 (now 11 threads) most of which I started :frown:
167 / Albany
466 / Buffalo & Rochester​
NYC-Suburbs
924 / Rockland & Westchester
1,187 / Long Island​
NYC
99,586 / New York City​

Last edited:

gotart04

Binghamton just started Uber on June 26. That's a little over 2 months ago. I admit I was ready to drive when it started but then there was a news story abut a 16 year old girl hacking an uber driver to death with a machete and that scared me off from driving, After 2 months and no more horror stories I figured it was time to give it a whirl. I will definitely continue to drive surge hours once I return to the classroom in a little over a week. I'm an art teacher by trade. I'm grateful for the flexibility. Being a single parent and working full time doesn't make it easy to find a side gig. Is Uber going to institute some kind of a guaranteed hourly wage? That's my biggest question- and, what do you do if someone pukes in your car? So far I've avoided that by stopping driving at midnight but I'm wondering if the risk of driving later is worth the financial gain with a chance like that looming? I'd like to know what other drivers think...

I haven't heard of anyone using Lyft. The college kids are just beginning to realize uber is here. And, I'm sure with weather getting nastier there will be an increase in demand for rides.

Maven

No one seems to be using Lyft from my experience.
In CT, Lyft is not big either like it is in NJ. Most Lyft drivers use Lyft as a supplement for Uber (doing both). There are way fewer Lyft pings in CT and they average farther away. Occasionally, when Uber is slow, a Lyft ping will come in that is not too far away.
Binghamton just started Uber on June 26. That's a little over 2 months ago. I admit I was ready to drive when it started but then there was a news story abut a 16 year old girl hacking an uber driver to death with a machete and that scared me off from driving, After 2 months and no more horror stories I figured it was time to give it a whirl. I will definitely continue to drive surge hours once I return to the classroom in a little over a week. I'm an art teacher by trade. I'm grateful for the flexibility. Being a single parent and working full time doesn't make it easy to find a side gig. Is Uber going to institute some kind of a guaranteed hourly wage? That's my biggest question- and, what do you do if someone pukes in your car? So far I've avoided that by stopping driving at midnight but I'm wondering if the risk of driving later is worth the financial gain with a chance like that looming? I'd like to know what other drivers think... I haven't heard of anyone using Lyft. The college kids are just beginning to realize uber is here. And, I'm sure with weather getting nastier there will be an increase in demand for rides.
Crazy people, like machete girl, can be found everywhere. Taxi, rideshare, bus, etc. drivers are at increased risk because we spend more time with the general public than the average person. I am more concerned with the current insurance issues. To answer your questions:
  • Uber has never had any "kind of a guaranteed hourly wage" except for limited (a few hours) promotions with specific requirements.
  • If someone pukes in your car then you may email support for reimbursement. This topic has been extensively discussed in these forums, like here.
  • "Drunk hour", when the bars close on the weekend tend to be among the busiest times with the biggest surges. Drivers must balance that with increased risk of both puking passengers and increased risk of accidents with drunk drivers and pedestrians. It's a personal decision.
  • Driving in "nasty weather" has similar risk v rewards. Fewer drivers to compete with for passengers v greater risk of weather-related accidents. Having a heavy 4-wheel-drive vehicle with snow tires during a blizzard can be golden. :smiles:

conductorchik

When I first started driving after the new year, almost all of my requests were for Lyft. Now most of my requests are for Uber. I *think* it's because most of the Bingo college kids use Uber...I get so many Uber calls that I am rarely on Lyft calls now.