Appeals court sides with California on order to make Uber and Lyft drivers employees

NicFit

Well I can see why the whole Boss thing didn't work out so well for you. 🤦‍♀️ sorry, I gotta ask . . . how old are you exactly? I'm just curious

View attachment 518338
I’m 42. You were never here in the first place, why the hell does that mean? trying to say bye to me is dumb. Your just some out is state ant that can’t figure out that their area is in the boonies so they want Uber to pay for the time they have to wait because there isn’t enough rides. If they required Uber to make you an employee they probably will shut the area down permanently as it won’t be profitable so keep wanting that employee status, Uber will be saying that Bye Bye to you and your area.

You want to know why I will never work as an employee again, back in 2001 I got an award for being the top technician, I earned the company $45k for the quarter which blew the other repair shops out of the water, think the rest made $10-20k. You know what I got paid, $500 a week or about $6500 for that period. I quit shortly after doing the math, you tell me who got taken advantage of for being an employee. Why didn’t I get more of that money? I even bought all my tools, all they provided was the leads. Sound familiar? Now with Uber I take home 75% of anything I make for them, if I had been setup like Uber I would of made $33750. That’s $27250 that the company pocket extra just because I was an employee. Think about that

dnlbaboof

its over prop 22 is close they are winning according to polls 46-42 but you need a 50% majority.....so rideshare is done in Ca. Thank the nutjob democrats, overnight 1 million jobs could be lost.

Stevie The magic Unicorn

its over prop 22 is close they are winning according to polls 46-42 but you need a 50% majority.....so rideshare is done in Ca. Thank the nutjob democrats, overnight 1 million jobs could be lost.

Do you really think lyft is going to throw away 11% of their global business by pulling out of California?

Yeah I'm guessing California is 11% of their global business.

11% of the US population is in California. But we have to throw Canada in to their numbers as well and that's another 10% of population over the just the uS numbers. BUT a large portion of the US population is out in the boonies and a large portion of Americans will never hire a car in their lives. So that 10% that's in California, in all those large cities... my guess is that it amounts to 10% of Lyfts global business, if i had to guess (which is all i can do without classified insider information)

Lyft is now a publically traded company, if lyfts numbers significantly fall over NOT EVEN TRYING to make it work in California the investors are going to have a total @@@@@fit. People could lose their jobs over pulling out of California without even trying.

All of the above makes me suspect that Lyft will try to stick it out in California, it's not one city, it's a LOT of cities.

If lyft sticks it out, uber is going to try sticking it out.

Why am i talking about Lyft? Because a smaller percentage of uber's global business is in California and those lying bastards can cover up the loss easier and hide it from their investors easier.

But if lyft stays uber is going to stay.

Now what does that mean?

That uber and lyft are going to continue to operate and they are going to make adjustments to stay.

The other option is that a new company is going to pop up and fill the void, how long did it take something to pop up in Austin?

Not very long.

I doubt ridesharing will vanish, the companies might but someone will come in to fill the void more quickly than we think.

But some of the customers might get their service priced out of existence. Because whether or not uber and lyft stay customer price will have to raise.

dnlbaboof

Uber could stay they could be even more profitable with the employee model, by not giving 75% of rides fee to drivers, they could pay drivers 13 an hour plus mileage hire them for 30 hours to avoid health care and raise the rate to taxi rates of 4$ per mile pocketing about 75% instead of 25%, so basically with this new law corrupt politicians benefit, uber benefits and drivers are screwed.

Jst1dreamr

Well first technically 50% is not a majority and either way the vote goes uber is not leaving California despite their threats. The may however (unlikely) stop for a few days maybe even a week or two but they have likely already prepared for the possibility that they weren't able to buy the election and just have to change their systems out.
Second there is not 1 million drivers on the apps in California even if it seems like it now days.
Third and finally it is not over, the election is not until Nov 3 and you are just creating undue stress on yourself at this point
Now for you point that the democrats are a bunch nut jobs. You got that one right.

sasu66

Uber could stay they could be even more profitable with the employee model, by not giving 75% of rides fee to drivers, they could pay drivers 13 an hour plus mileage hire them for 30 hours to avoid health care and raise the rate to taxi rates of 4$ per mile pocketing about 75% instead of 25%, so basically with this new law corrupt politicians benefit, uber benefits and drivers are screwed.
Nah, it doesn't work like that but nice try. If Uber raise the rate to taxi rates, then other rideshare apps do the same thing and compete with Uber on fair terms. Speaking of corrupt politicians, Prop 22 campaign -funded by Saudi Government- gave $2 million to the Republican Party. Also, Moscow Mitch's wife who happens to be Secretary of Transportation and major Uber fan pocketed $350,000 PPP loan for her family business. Try again.

Last edited:

Paul Vincent

lyft is going to throw away 11% of their global business
Lyft isn't even global, US and some parts of Canada only. California is a big chunk of their income.
Post automatically merged:

Moscow Mitch's wife
She's dining on turtle soup.

Now with Uber I take home 75% of anything I make for them
You do realize that under prop 22 the 75% take ends, up front pricing returns and you will be paid by minutes/ miles and incentives.

Escoman

Good question but i have no answer to that. No immediate changes for at least 30 days. Then they might go to Supreme Court.
California Attorney General released a statement
Prop 22 if passed its retroactive and makes all the court rulings moot. If it fails they have 30 days from the ruling to comply or appeal. My money is on appeal delay the inevitable and hope to make a deal with the state

sasu66

Prop 22 if passed its retroactive and makes all the court rulings moot. If it fails they have 30 days from the ruling to comply or appeal. My money is on appeal delay the inevitable and hope to make a deal with the state
What is the timeline on appeal delay?

Stevie The magic Unicorn

Mileage would come to $10+ an hour by my figuring, and they have to include tips on top of that.

30 hours is roughly....

13 X $30
260 X .57
+ tips

$390
+ 148.20
+$5 (tips)

So 30 hours would be $543,

or 18 an hour.

OK, OK i was just joking about only $5.00 in tips on $543, it could easily be another $100.

On $1,100 in uber fares i'd expect somewhere in the range of $100 in tips. Because that's what they would need in fares off you, $1,100 or so in order to pay you $550

So 30 hours on Uber for $650 or so and another 30 hours on lyft for another $650 or so. Then 10 hours on DD. That's less miles but the same $13 an hour and probably better tips. So probobly close to $200 for 10 hours on DD.

That's $1,500....

The upside to working for 5 different companies is you'll be able to max out your 30 hours on 3 different companies.

NicFit

Lyft isn't even global, US and some parts of Canada only. California is a big chunk of their income.

She's dining on turtle soup.

You do realize that under prop 22 the 75% take ends, up front pricing returns and you will be paid by minutes/ miles and incentives.
No they won’t end the 75/25% cut it’s part of their transparency for independent contractors

I will crack Lyft hacks

the nutjob democrats, overnight 1 million jobs could be lost.
What Job?

I haven’t taken a ride since March 15.

Many of us moved on and collected UI and have no serious plan to return to ride share as is.

Uber/Lyft lover 5% of their workforce on any given month. That’s why they need to constantly recruit.

6 months of covid, based of historical data that’s 30% workforce reduction.

Half of drivers are laid off anyways, taxi, Lemo, rideshare is down 50%.

However you want to play it. There is work for maybe 1/2 of us due to covid.

People are also moving away from major cities and buying personal cars.

Want to blame Dems, cool with me. But that’s because of corona Life, no bar, club, concert, tourist, etc.

By the end of 2020, U/L will have lost at least 75% of there workforce purely on historical turnover rates. That means people left!

Nobody lost a damn job by AB5 because most drivers left already.

Trafficat

So now if proposition 22 passes in November and guessing that won't take effect until January 1st? In that case, do they have to convert over to actual employee status for the last 7/8 weeks of the year and then convert back over January 1st?
Technically, yes, but realistically no. If prop 22 passes and Uber doesn't treat drivers like employees in the last few weeks of the year, the government isn't going to try and force them to comply most likely because by the time they get a court hearing rolling, they will no longer have the ability to allege non-compliance with the law because it will have already changed.

Nats121

You're overlooking the fact that as employees, Uber has to pay the drivers $15 per hour (the majority of CA population) to sit idle, which is extremely costly. They also have to pay unemployment, Comp, and FICA as well.

$4 per mile is higher than taxi rates.

Escoman

What Job?

I haven’t taken a ride since March 15.

Many of us moved on and collected UI and have no serious plan to return to ride share as is.

Uber/Lyft lover 5% of their workforce on any given month. That’s why they need to constantly recruit.

6 months of covid, based of historical data that’s 30% workforce reduction.

Half of drivers are laid off anyways, taxi, Lemo, rideshare is down 50%.

However you want to play it. There is work for maybe 1/2 of us due to covid.

People are also moving away from major cities and buying personal cars.

Want to blame Dems, cool with me. But that’s because of corona Life, no bar, club, concert, tourist, etc.

By the end of 2020, U/L will have lost at least 75% of there workforce purely on historical turnover rates. That means people left!

Nobody lost a damn job by AB5 because most drivers left already.
You are wrong the turnover rate is 9t%quarterly and they are running out of people dumb enough to sign up