• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Apartments and people staying inside.

Uberdise

I've noticed lately people rarely wait on the curb anymore. It's summertime and I drive at night, so it's not like weather is an issue.
I think people have figured out wait time costs nothing. I've made it a habit of shutting off my car after 10 seconds if they aren't out by then.
The reason I appreciate curb-standers is because Uber Nav always seems a house or two off, and sometimes it doesn't even say if it's on the left or right side.
Since it is nighttime, its usually very hard if not impossible to see house numbers, and people around here don't like putting them on mailboxes for some odd reason.

But my main complaint is apartment complexes.
People who live in apartments RARELY text or call with the building and apartment number.
I think you can actually set an apartment number on the pax app, but I've only seen it a few times.

So if they are at building 8, the Uber App might show it as building 7 (due to GPS inaccuracy).
Or..the building has a side facing two streets, and it is pointing towards street A, but their entrance is actually on street B.
I've had a few pax get mad because I've cancelled after the timer runs out..but it is not my fault you didn't tell me which building/number you are at.

SFOspeedracer

This happens to me sometimes, usually a pax will text or call and depending on the surge or trip length and depending on how their tone is I’ll move to find the right building number/side due to the gps inaccuracy. However I’ve gotten texts that say “Hurry up” or “I’m right here” or even one time “drive back dummy” in which I stay my happy behind right in my spot that the app told me to go ..

blame cancelling paying higher or blame app/pax stupidity

Uberdise

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This happens to me sometimes, usually a pax will text or call and depending on the surge or trip length and depending on how their tone is I’ll move to find the right building number/side due to the gps inaccuracy. However I’ve gotten texts that say “Hurry up” or “I’m right here” or even one time “drive back dummy” in which I stay my happy behind right in my spot that the app told me to go ..

I've had to pull up google maps tons of times due to Uber dropping the pin on the map nowhere near their house. It is insane how inaccurate it is.

Uberdise

I hate Uber maps with a deep hate lol .. Waze has never failed me, google right behind

I use Waze on long trips but not locally. I find the interface to be clunkier than google, especially search, and it seems to run slower on my phone, which isn't slow by any means on other apps.

SFOspeedracer

I use Waze on long trips but not locally. I find the interface to be clunkier than google, especially search, and it seems to run slower on my phone, which isn't slow by any means on other apps.
Guess it depends where you live ..

But I also use google maps, for the sheer fact the interface is simpler

JohnnyBravo836

If you want to get them outside, let them know you're there. The rider app is not necessarily accurate in showing a pax where you are or how long it will take before you arrive. I had one show me while she was already sitting in the back seat that the app showed I was still 3 minutes away.

Of course, if you want to shuffle them if they don't make the official 5 minute window, that's always an option. However, if you'd rather have the ride (which, let's face it, will probably pay you more), you can send the pax a voice-to-text message through the app immediately upon arrival -- "your Uber is outside" or something to that effect. If they don't make the 5 minute window after that, it's all on them.

doyousensehumor

I don't know what the fee structure is where you are, but in my neck of the woods it's a $3.52 cancel fee to me and $3.66 to me for the minimum ride; obviously both are pathetic and neither are "worth it", but there's nothing lower than the show-up/cancel fee.
$4, but I am a 20%'er.

At 4 minutes, pax start calling/texting that they are on oppisite end of apt, Im gonna collect no show because at that point i will make more for my time than doing the trip. Plus often I am going to get another ping in 2 mins anyway.

Uberdise

That is @@@@ing disgraceful. I just don't see how anybody could be making any money at that rate. Under the busiest conditions, doing more than 4 rides in a hour is practically impossible; that's $9.80 an hour maximum, before any expenses are taken into consideration.
That is why I usually stick to working bar close hours, 9pm to 2am. The $3-$3.75 surges help it add up much quicker.

Ubering during the day sucks due to the lack of surge..and I find daytime tippers generally tip less.

MiamiKid

I've noticed lately people rarely wait on the curb anymore. It's summertime and I drive at night, so it's not like weather is an issue.
I think people have figured out wait time costs nothing. I've made it a habit of shutting off my car after 10 seconds if they aren't out by then.
The reason I appreciate curb-standers is because Uber Nav always seems a house or two off, and sometimes it doesn't even say if it's on the left or right side.
Since it is nighttime, its usually very hard if not impossible to see house numbers, and people around here don't like putting them on mailboxes for some odd reason.

People who live in apartments RARELY text or call with the building and apartment number.
I think you can actually set an apartment number on the pax app, but I've only seen it a few times.

So if they are at building 8, the Uber App might show it as building 7 (due to GPS inaccuracy).
Or..the building has a side facing two streets, and it is pointing towards street A, but their entrance is actually on street B.
I've had a few pax get mad because I've cancelled after the timer runs out..but it is not my fault you didn't tell me which building/number you are at.
If they're not outside, it's on them.

JohnnyBravo836

That is why I usually stick to working bar close hours, 9pm to 2am. The $3-$3.75 surges help it add up much quicker.

Ubering during the day sucks due to the lack of surge..and I find daytime tippers generally tip less.
When I first started I told myself I would never work the bar closing hours; but I wound up with a lot of crappy college kid minimum fare rides, almost no tips, and . . . it wasn't long before I realized that the 2.0X or higher rates were not available at any other time than the late night bar closing/party crowd. After driving late night/early morning stretches where practically every ride was at least a 1.7X and many were 2.5X and higher, there was no way I was going back to driving at base rates. But that's off topic I reckon . . .

Uberdise

When I first started I told myself I would never work the bar closing hours; but I wound up with a lot of crappy college kid minimum fare rides, almost no tips, and . . . it wasn't long before I realized that the 2.0X or higher rates were not available at any other time than the late night bar closing/party crowd. After driving late night/early morning stretches where practically every ride was at least a 1.7X and many were 2.5X and higher, there was no way I was going back to driving at base rates. But that's off topic I reckon . . .
I've done 720 trips, almost all were at bar close. Most drunks are pretty chill. Only had a few people who were close to being booted.

ariel5466

That's when you shuffle.

IR12

OMG!
Post automatically merged:

It's nighttime, address is vague & pax not ready. I locate a space that allows me to blend in, recline my seat, turn off my lights & FLASHERS, check emails & wait for time up & shuffle....(especially if they're going someplace I don't want to go?)

Last edited: