Anyone turning down long trips?

HUNTRE2K

I did a run from Kings Dominion to DC yesterday and because of traffic, the trip took a little over 2 hours and with detours, about 130 miles. After Uber's cut (20%), my take home was $72.00. It took about $10 in gas and over 4 hours, including the return trip.

Question - would most of you take that trip, or turn it down?

uber genesis

At these rates, it would need to be xl going. I wouldhave told them yes but they need to cancel and rebook me as xl

I would have drove in dc for the rest of the day,set my destination for richmond and sat at DCA and hoped to get lucky

Disgusted Driver

I did a run from Kings Dominion to DC yesterday and because of traffic, the trip took a little over 2 hours and with detours, about 130 miles. After Uber's cut (20%), my take home was $72.00. It took about $10 in gas and over 4 hours, including the return trip.

Question - would most of you take that trip, or turn it down?
So, it's 85 miles straight up 95 to DC so 170 miles, 4 hours for $72. Lets assume your per mile cost per mile (it takes more than gas to make a car go!!!!!) is just .25 a mile, that's $42.00. So you cleared something like $30. for 4 hours of work. You tell me, is it worth it?

HUNTRE2K

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
V6 Avalon - get's 30MPG highway, and it was all highway. Gas was $1.85/gallon last time I filled up.

OK, Question time.

How do you guys turn down a ride when the passenger is already in the car? As in I'm in the car at RIC and the app is swiped to reveal something like Dulles? I HATE personal confrontation, and this is a situation that would definitely spark an argument.

Even more so, how the heck does one suggest a passenger re-book the ride as an UberXL instead of UberX?? Let's pretend the passenger goes along with it... isn't he/she going to give you a terrible rating as a result?

The problem I see is that you already accepted the ride and if canceled they can nail your ratings upon declining them. I know a few drivers call in advance to find out where they're headed, but passengers at the airport hate getting calls like that. They know what's up, and they'll complain if canceled going that route. Plus I think you can get warned/fired for doing it.

UberRVADriver

I hope we get the destination filter soon here in Richmond.

I've had 2 Williamsburg trips in the last week from the airport. Payout for these is only $40 - $5 of which goes toward the RIC airport fee. So it's $35 "net" for 2 hours and roughly 100 miles with deadhead back to Richmond. After vehicle expenses that means the driver is essentially losing money.

Usually 90% of airport pickups are going west, which is the only reason I still drive for Uber (basically subsidizes my gas money).

uber genesis

OK, Question time.

How do you guys turn down a ride when the passenger is already in the car? As in I'm in the car at RIC and the app is swiped to reveal something like Dulles? I HATE personal confrontation, and this is a situation that would definitely spark an argument.

Even more so, how the heck does one suggest a passenger re-book the ride as an UberXL instead of UberX?? Let's pretend the passenger goes along with it... isn't he/she going to give you a terrible rating as a result?

The problem I see is that you already accepted the ride and if canceled they can nail your ratings upon declining them. I know a few drivers call in advance to find out where they're headed, but passengers at the airport hate getting calls like that. They know what's up, and they'll complain if canceled going that route. Plus I think you can get warned/fired for doing it.
I do it all the time, last saturday I start the trip only to see the pax is going into Fort Lee (the gate guards to accept my state veteran ID) so I told them I couldnt go and to take the base approved cabs ( I was in Col hgts after taking a pax from vcu). I ended the ride, of course in the help menu you can tell our awesome outsourced CSR's to refund the trip

Now if the pax want something crazy like Va beach or Nova..I would tell them the only way i'm taking them if it's until XL..have them cancel and rebook while in car.. i've also done that..They know it's better to pay more but less than cab rates VS maybe not getting a ride @ all

uber genesis

I hope we get the destination filter soon here in Richmond.

I've had 2 Williamsburg trips in the last week from the airport. Payout for these is only $40 - $5 of which goes toward the RIC airport fee. So it's $35 "net" for 2 hours and roughly 100 miles with deadhead back to Richmond. After vehicle expenses that means the driver is essentially losing money.

Usually 90% of airport pickups are going west, which is the only reason I still drive for Uber (basically subsidizes my gas money).
I turn Uber off @ the airport and only run Lyft.. my logic is if I get one of these rides I'm negotiating for a large tip amount to cover the deadhead