Anyone thinking about going to Houston?

stevedmc

There is going to be a lot of money to be made in Houston. People made a killing in Baton Rouge after the floods last year. It would be foolish not to drive to Texas to Uber if you have the time to do so.

MHR

Go read the Houston forum. There's no surge and too much traffic.

I'm 3 hours from them and very familiar with Houston and still wouldn't go.

Last edited:

stevedmc

Go read the Houston forum. There's no surge and too much traffic. Check there before you go.

I'm 3 hours from them and very familiar with Houston and still wouldn't go.

Don't tell him that. When I originally saw the thread title I thought this was someone wanting to be a nice guy and go out there to help people clean/gut homes. I felt insulted when I realized he just wanted to be a storm chaser so I tried encouraging the greedy person to go. I figured he could drive all the way out there and learn the hard way.

MHR

Don't tell him that. When I originally saw the thread title I thought this was someone wanting to be a nice guy and go out there to help people clean/gut homes. I felt insulted when I realized he just wanted to be a storm chaser so I tried encouraging the greedy person to go. I figured he could drive all the way out there and learn the hard way.
Sorry....:frown:

tohunt4me

There is going to be a lot of money to be made in Houston. People made a killing in Baton Rouge after the floods last year. It would be foolish not to drive to Texas to Uber if you have the time to do so.
It would be foolish to go for Uber.
Go for construction work.
Even better, go offshore !
Free food, free living space, wake up at work, get paid to eat breakfast, free parking.

Ceres environmental paid me $21.00
To run a volvo front end loader at the local dump. Air conditioned cab, stereo, 12 hours a day . storm debris. Just collecting and disposing of fallen trees could take months.

stevedmc

In all seriousness, construction work would be the real reason to go. I didn't dare seek a penny helping people when we flooded in Baton Rouge last year, but if you want to work hard, you can make a lot of money gutting and restoring homes. Construction companies hire like crazy after a storm.

Disclaimer: This is Serious Steve talking, not the troll.

I saw an ad (I think on Facebook) a few days ago where FEMA was desperately hiring people to go to Houston. The pay ranged from $2,000 to $5,000 a week. I'm serious. FEMA knows how to throw money away.

MHR

There's many companies needing help to rebuild down there.

One was advertising just for basic, what I would call muck-out work, at $15/hour.

jeanocelot

How is someone a "storm chaser" by adding to the supply of rides there? These folks with flooded cars will need to get around for work or to the grocery or Home Depot, etc., and it would be a help to them to have that supply. That said, if there is ample supply there, then it would not be worth it to go.

MHR

Okay, so there are about 8 million people in the Houston and surrounding areas with 1 million cars lost.

Texas in general and Houston in particular is OVERSATURATED with Uber and Lyft drivers.

Let the Houston drivers have a chance at earning some money for once. They need to keep that money in Houston.

stevedmc

How is someone a "storm chaser" by adding to the supply of rides there? These folks with flooded cars will need to get around for work or to the grocery or Home Depot, etc., and it would be a help to them to have that supply. That said, if there is ample supply there, then it would not be worth it to go.

If you are going there to help for free, you are not a storm chaser.

If you are going there to make a profit, you are a storm chaser. Frankly, it pisses me off when people lose everything they own and the unaffected people can only think of making a buck.

Lyle

In all seriousness, construction work would be the real reason to go. I didn't dare seek a penny helping people when we flooded in Baton Rouge last year, but if you want to work hard, you can make a lot of money gutting and restoring homes. Construction companies hire like crazy after a storm.

Disclaimer: This is Serious Steve talking, not the troll.

I saw an ad (I think on Facebook) a few days ago where FEMA was desperately hiring people to go to Houston. The pay ranged from $2,000 to $5,000 a week. I'm serious. FEMA knows how to throw money away.

https://www.fema.gov/disaster/4332/updates/rumor-control

stevedmc

Well crap, I stand corrected. It really did look too good to be true.

FEMA still knows how to waste money though. My parrents declined a mobile home last year when they realized FEMA was spending $100k per trailer. Their neighbors had no choice but to get a trailer and I kid you not, it took a crew 3 weeks to install the thing. This consisted of a few bozo's going out there several hours a day wearing safety gear and walking around looking at stuff. I used to live in a trailer park and I can tell you, I've never seen a crew take more than a few hours to deliver and setup a trailer. FEMA is government spending at its worst.

Some people have no choice but to accept FEMA assistance. Its just a shame how much money is wasted before it actually gets to the people in need.

MHR

There are actual companies and organizations not associated with FEMA or the government that are hiring for cleanup work paying around $15/hour.

troop399

With a million cars out of action, it seems that there will be a big demand for rides.
I don't think its a million, but its a high number. Yes people need rides in Houston, but you need to be nice to them. These people may have lost everything including their car. The nicest thing you can do for them, simply, is to provide a ride when they need it. Just my opinion. Houston is recovering from a major disaster.

stevedmc

There is nothing stopping anyone, original poster included, from going out there and offering free rides to people.