• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Anyone making money at this is delusional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Racer X

I've been working with UBER for about six months and actually lost money at it. Why do I do it, so I have something to do when my wife goes non linear. I work in Southern California L.A. and Orange County. First of all the ride share is so saturated that there is almost never surge pricing. In the past six months I've only seen it on July 4th. (the only time I've made money). Normally one gets $1 per mile $5 minimum with UBER taking $1 off the top for software development (over 1 million rides a day=over 1 million dollars a day how much does software cost), next they take 20% leving me with $3.20. Most of my rides are lazy @@@@s that have me take them 3 blocks so the minimum becomes important. If I drive 4-7 miles to pick them up wait 5-10 minutes for them to come out take them to there destination each trip takes me 15 - 20 minutes that means I make $9.60 to $12.80 per hour. This is before vehicle expense and gas If you own a $20,000 car that will be worth $4,000 after it has 100,000 mile on it then you could say it costs you 20,000-4000= 16,000/ 16,00 divide by 100,000
total 16 cents per mile. With gas around 3.50 and getting 35 miles to the gallon gas is 10 cents per mile. so we are up to 26 cents. tires are good for 50,000 miles and cost 400 thats about 1 cent per mile so that brings us up to 27 cents oil is 30 bucks and gets changed every 2000 miles another 1.5 cents this brings us up to 28.5 per mile. looking at my hourly and taking the middle figure I cover 3.5 trips for I drive 35 miles to cover them which costs $9.97 coming from my $11.20 leaves me with $1.23 an hour. I make less on long trips because I need to deadhead back or risk accepting trips that take me further. Sometimes if I complain to my clients they feel bad and give me a tip which UBER says you should not accept.

Status
Not open for further replies.