Anyone in CA. getting min. wage ?

Jimmy44

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is not name calling. You are at least 21 years old since you are an Uber driver an you don't have an idea about your rights.

That is pure ignorance.
Really have you a chance but you just got the big " I " .
Post automatically merged:

Most companies will give employees written warnings to have proof in case of a lawsuit but they aren't legally required.
Can anyone but me see the lunacy of employee proposal. The courts would be backed up with work related issues.

The same can be done to independent contractors. Uber can send you less rides till you voluntarily quit.
17,000 rides taken when and where I want. I will take my chances of being deactivated.

Last edited:

supor

17,000 rides taken when and where I want. I will take my chances of being deactivated.
When and where you want. LOL.

What do you do first thing you wake up in the morning?

'Today, I will take some drunk people from downtown to 10 minutes away. And then pickup a passenger 5 minutes away and drop him back to downtown.' Is that how Uber works for you? LOL

Uber used to punish people because of their acceptance rate. They still do but behind the curtains.

That is not how being an IC works. I hope you understand that in the future.

Last edited:

supor

Actually it is. I had a big customer that doubled their usual order, so I told them it would take me twice as long to fill. So they hired somebody else to do it.
I don't think you understood what I'm trying to say my friend. He thinks that he accepts the rides when and whereever he wants.
I tried to explain him he does not and being an IC is not what he thinks.

I think some people don't know the difference between an employee and independent contractor.

Uber is treating IC's as employees (punishing for not accepting rides, not sharing trip details, no freedom to determine your own rates, etc. ). That's why they are in trouble with AB5.

Do you know what would happened if you were true IC?

You would determine your own rate. For example, I would never wait a driver for free. Especially for $3 rides. We are waiting for them to get out of a bar in the middle of busiest street, risking to get a ticket, 2 minutes for free then 25 cents/minute. Uber pays you 75 cents to wait for 5 minutes. You can't even cancel a ride before 5 minutes. Which is complete waste of my time for a 5-10 minute short ride.

Or I would never drive my car for 15 minutes / 7 miles to pickup a passenger for free. Or any kind of distance.

Imagine the times you spent picking up and waiting for passenger during a day. For Uber, you are not working during those times.

Uber knows that AB5 is their end.

That's why they are doing all those changes.
I agree that the waiting period sucks.

In regards to the acceptance rate.... I can see that both ways. Think if you were an artist and every time I called for a quote for a painting you said "Yeah.... No" Eventually, you would stop calling that artist. That is what Uber is doing to drivers who don't pick up rides.

My experience as an Uber driver has been nothing short of easy money. This is mostly because I see the route. If I didn't there would be no way I would be able to drive the handful of hours a week that I do.

I think many drivers forget how much it sucks to be an actual employee where you deal with a direct boss and scheduling. "Sorry Joe, I need you to drive from 1am - 10am on a Weds night. Oh you need to take your kid to school at 8am?! I think you need to find someone else to do that for you."

The fact that you get to pick your hours and how much you work tilts it very much as an IC in my opinion.

2starDriver

Really have you a chance but you just got the big " I " .

Can anyone but me see the lunacy of employee proposal. The courts would be backed up with work related issues.

you live in Sf or La?

observer

And being an employee means a schedule. Means a supervisor. Means a manager. Means no more pings. You online, you drive what is sent. And please nobody say AB5 doesn’t require schedules. As an employee you will have a schedule. Period. Hard stop.
Except most of this is already done anyway. Your supervisor/manager is the algorithm. No more pings will be necessary because your rides will be prescheduled as much as possible. No more sitting around hoping to get a ping.

A schedule isn't required. Will there be schedules, most likely but it would be something required by Uber and not the law.

If Uber values its drivers "flexibility" it can create flexible schedules.

We already know how much Uber values its drivers.

Jimmy44

And being an employee means a schedule. Means a supervisor. Means a manager. Means no more pings. You online, you drive what is sent. And please nobody say AB5 doesn’t require schedules. As an employee you will have a schedule. Period. Hard stop.
Exactly everything you say is spot on. I would quit rather then deal with all you mentioned. Ben there done that.

SHalester

. I would quit rather then deal with all you mentioned.
for me it will depend on what comes down the pike. I will only work Uber in the mid-mornings and only for 3 hours M-F. If that remains the same, I'd be ok. They change that, well, out of here. AT least Uber wise. If it means more money, ok I"m down for that. Don't care about benefits, don't need them. Just depends on the details. I don't think we will become employees, but nobody knows for sure We'll see at some point.

2starDriver

I don't think you understood what I'm trying to say my friend. He thinks that he accepts the rides when and whereever he wants.
I tried to explain him he does not and being an IC is not what he thinks.
What type of IC relationship you desire with UBER ? Around 5 requests at the same time like catalog to choose from lol ? You sound like you havent seen the days we picking up any requests blindfolded.

Jimmy44

Except most of this is already done anyway. Your supervisor/manager is the algorithm. No more pings will be necessary because your rides will be prescheduled as much as possible. No more sitting around hoping to get a ping.

A schedule isn't required. Will there be schedules, most likely but it would be something required by Uber and not the law.

If Uber values its drivers "flexibility" it can create flexible schedules.

We already know how much Uber values its drivers.
I mean no disrespect but the logistics of what your proposing are impossible.

The Gift of Fish

Can anyone but me see the lunacy of employee proposal.
In CA it's not a proposal.

I went to the Lyft hub to ask when Lyft was going to stop ignoring AB5. The drone behind the desk told me that Lyft was "still working with legislators to see what kind of arrangement can be reached".

This guy was in Fantasy Land. "No", I said. "There is no arrangement to be reached" - the negotiation stage is long over and AB5 is now law. I illustrated this to the drone with an example. If I get caught speeding, I won't go before the judge and see what agreement we can hammer out between us - see if we can reach an understanding. Speeding is against the law and there is no negotiation - if I speed then I go before a judge and I get given whatever resolution the judge decides upon.

I then asked again when Lyft was going to comply with the law. The drone replied that he did not have a date for that.

Jimmy44

What type of IC relationship you desire with UBER ? Around 5 requests at the same time like catalog to choose from lol ? You sound like you havent seen the days we picking up any requests blindfolded.
I'm having a
In what way?
It would take days to do that. You would have to treat every employee totally different. Uber means different things to every driver in the world. Just think about what that would entail ?

In CA it's not a proposal.

I went to the Lyft hub to ask when Lyft was going to stop ignoring AB5. The drone behind the desk told me that Lyft was "still working with legislators to see what kind of arrangement can be reached".

This guy was in Fantasy Land. "No", I said. "There is no arrangement to be reached" - the negotiation stage is long over and AB5 is now law. I illustrated this to the drone with an example. If I get caught speeding, I won't go before the judge and see what agreement we can hammer out between us - see if we can reach an understanding. Speeding is against the law and there is no negotiation - if I speed then I go before a judge and I get given whatever resolution the judge decides upon.

I then asked again when Lyft was going to comply with the law. The drone replied that he did not have a date for that.
Ever think that you might be the drone ? I thought he was very kind to you.

supor

Being an IC brings you some rights. Like accepting any job you want, determining your own rates, cleaning fees, ...

Those are not desires. Any IC's right. I hope you guys get that one day. Since then, keep thinking that working anytime you want means being an IC.

Last edited:
Minimum Wage?

Isn't that where you drive 12 to 15 miles for a 3 dollar ride.

The wage is like NEGATIVE 2 bucks per hour.

Your contribution to society? While you live under a freeway overpass on the money you actually net?

Signed,
King Ant