Anyone have Pizza Delivery Experience?

Ms. Collette

I just started delivering pizzas and have a strategy question. If there are 2 drivers and I'm the only one in shop, and 2 orders come up at the same time that aren't close together, is it better to take one or both? I'm trying to figure out the best strategy and can't figure out if it's better to go for volume or speed. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

SEAL Team 5

I just started delivering pizzas and have a strategy question. If there are 2 drivers and I'm the only one in shop, and 2 orders come up at the same time that aren't close together, is it better to take one or both? I'm trying to figure out the best strategy and can't figure out if it's better to go for volume or speed. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Is this a serious question? How far apart are the deliveries? Is it driving on busy streets during rush hour? Is one of the deliveries to a wealthy part of town? How big is your delivery area? What's your estimated time of delivery? What's your store policy? You can't give a blanket question without particulars. Look at it this way, to an electrical engineer a 1/4 inch is slight and to a civil engineer a 1/4 mile is slight. You will get 100 different answers to your question.

Jay Dean

I would tell the manager to get off his as* and deliver one of the pizzas, if he doesn't want to then one will go cold, not your problem. The beautiful thing about having a simple job/throw away job (part time or not) is you do not really need to think, the people making larger money can determine if it is worth it for them to sustain their salaries on it or comp a cold pizza to a pissed off party haha. Show up do one thing at a time get paid the rate what your set to do, do what your paid for, nothing more.

AustinAggie

You asked if one delivery is to a wealthy part of town.
Years ago I delivered pizza. On one run I went to a big, expensive house. I was tipped a quarter and the tipper looked at me as if I should be very grateful.
My very next delivery was to an efficency apartment where I got tipped $1.50 and they made no big deal out of it. Wealthy part of town has little bearing on tips.

Ziggy

I'd ask Fuzzyelvis ... if memory serves me, she delivers pizza in Houston

strongarm

Yes I have done pizza you don't want to take both. On avg delivery drivers will return 15-20 min. I would assume the other driver will be back and that delivery on its way before you deliver first then backtrack to second delivery. In my experience you don't want to do that bc who's to say you get back faster then a nice double waiting. The key is how many deliveries you can do in an hour. You take two far apart too much travel time.

Ziggy

I've delivered a pizza from the box to my mouth ... speaking of which am I more tired or more hungry?

strongarm

The good thing about pizza delivery right now is you get a w2. So you made the right choice will you walk away making more than rideshareing? Don't know. But the good drivers avg was 20-25 k a year. Plus a tax return. This is post 08'. Now prior to economic crisis. Delivering pizza was cake. I would say I used to make 600-800 a week in just cash tips while getting paid full minimum wage. it's all different now but I do believe your better off delivery pizza that delivering drunks to the wrong house after they give you directions. When you deal with drunks with a pizza in your hand it's a much better experience all the way around.